Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scent Free Detergent

liv4archery

PMA Member
I read a post on another website where a guy claimed that regular arm and hammer laundry detergent with baking soda is effective in making your hunting clothes scent free. Does anybody agree with that claim or do you all use the heavily marketed stuff? If you use the specialty stuff, what brand do you prefer?

I don't remember which scent killer or scent free liquid soap I use, but I put Ghost in the rinse cycle, going going going.....invisible. Till the breakfast burrito hits bottom that is.

Seriously, I do put Ghost in the rinse cycle, does it help? Doesn't hurt.

The 'Bonker

I don't know about the detergent but I use their tooth paste and scent free deodorant you can pick up at Walmart. Before hunting though I used Dead Down Wind (DDW) stuff last year with good results.

I usually use the HS detergent, it seems to be pretty effective. I also like use the HS dryer sheets, the ones that smell like dirt and then hang my clothes in the wind for 12 hrs or so.

I usually use Tide or Downy...Gotta smell fresh for the big boys
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
The sad thing is, I am not joking
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember which scent killer or scent free liquid soap I use, but I put Ghost in the rinse cycle, going going going.....invisible. Till the breakfast burrito hits bottom that is.

Seriously, I do put Ghost in the rinse cycle, does it help? Doesn't hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor Ghostie!!
evil.gif

I use the H.S. products, and yeah I have heard of guys using the arm and hammmer. I haven't myself though so I can't atest to it.

I wash all my hunting clothes, including my scent shield with baking soda and cold water. Works great!

[ QUOTE ]
I usually use the HS detergent, it seems to be pretty effective. I also like use the HS dryer sheets, the ones that smell like dirt and then hang my clothes in the wind for 12 hrs or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife grudgingly allowed me to use HS detergent in our new high efficiency washer, no way was I going to push it and ask her if I could throw a dirt sheet in the dryer.
shocked.gif
I hung my hunting clothes outside to dry before storing in "tupperware".

Another thing I do before I warsh my hunting clothes is run the warshing machine empty for a full cycle with the scent free detergent and Ghost SPRAY in the rinse. Hopefuly this will clean out any residuals from the normal soap and such. I only line dry my hunting clothes because of the residual stench of the softener sheets from normal laundry.

Somebody on here, and I can't remeber who, has a warshing machine he uses only for his hunting clothes. Wish it were me.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
I only line dry my hunting clothes because of the residual stench of the softener sheets from normal laundry.
The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you just hang a line out from that chopper Bonker?
grin.gif

I hang mine out in the trees and on a swingset...leave em out in the rain even. I just collect some when it's sunny and dry and put em in a big plastic bag. Now if it's gonna rain for a week straight....that's another story
smirk.gif

I force my wife to use Tide Free (no perfumes) starting Sept 1 so I don't have to worry about the regular detergent smells.

Wife agreed to use All Free and Clear (Scent Free) and no dryer sheets for household laundry. Since All contains UV brighteners I use HS or Atsko Sport-Wash on all hunting/ski wear. I would check to see if the Arm and Hammer detergent has UV brighteners.

I do use the All Free and Clear on towels for the truck seats and the clothing I wear for the drive out. They go into their own tub after being washed and dried outside so they don't pick up house/food odors. They have been known to pick up some other smells on the way home following the hunt - I can get thirsty on stand.

Arm and Hammer does make a non-scent detergent, that probably works as well as any of the "name brand" hunting related products.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I only line dry my hunting clothes because of the residual stench of the softener sheets from normal laundry.
The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you just hang a line out from that chopper Bonker?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that. I figured with that giant fan on top and 135 knots the cammo'ed be dry in no time, but the pilot got just a little, uhh, upset with me, the mechanic threatend me with a wrench(it was a metric one so I wasn't too afraid) and the burnt jet fuel left a nasty residue, both odor and visual. Next time I'll hang 'em between the skids instead of between the tail and the mast. It won't be quite as areodynamic but they should be outa the exhaust stream.

The 'Bonker

I like tp keep a handful of leaves or small branches from the area I am hunting in my bag of clothes.Hickory, oak especially if I'm hunting pine or cedar trees they cover very well.

Besides that I do the regular H.S. detergent, earth scent dryer sheets, and spray as needed early season .Even leave my clothes hanging on a tree limb in the woods behind the house to air out occasionally.

Top Bottom