Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Something new...

dbltree

Super Moderator
A friend of mine asked me if I would try out a prototype deer feeder/antler trap for him so I figured I'd set up my trail cam and see what if anything would happen.

At first it seemed like a giant sized bird feeder
grin.gif

Birds.jpg

but then...
cool.gif

Dinnerbucket.jpg

by golly it is a deer feeder
smile.gif

Busierbucket.jpg

In fact it seems to be a right popular attraction
peace.gif

Theherd.jpg

I was supposed to drill holes in the flange and attach some bunge cords to create an antler trap...but hey...what are the odds of a buck even surviving let alone coming to a deer feeder
shrug[1].gif

hmmmm....
blush.gif
blush.gif

Abuck.jpg

Ok...so two lil ole bucks...
smirk.gif

Nobucks.jpg

Don't mean they will actually stick there head in there...

Niceee.jpg

wall.gif
wall.gif

Antlertrap.jpg

icon_redface[1].gif
icon_redface[1].gif
icon_redface[1].gif

Hungrybuck.jpg

bigshock.gif
Ok...I'm getting out the drill tomorrow!
grin.gif

Survivor.jpg

Now...I set my newly made homebrew up and well...maybe it needs some adjustments...cause in 24 hours I got 275 pics of...

BIRDS!!!
icon_rolleyes[1].gif
doah.gif
grin.gif

Birds-1.jpg

At least I know it works!
waytogo.gif

At night I got this though
confused.gif

Eyesinthedark.jpg

Notice the "ear" in the left hand corner
smirk.gif

The home brew was farther away then the Moultrie and it's set on 30 second pics...maybe ought to change that
blush.gif

Maybe the sensitivity also?? Any advice on the settings/tuning would be helpful.

Dang this is fun!!
not_ripe.gif
not_ripe.gif

Nice pics. You guys are lucky. Feeders were outlawed in IL. I've got my new homebrews out as of last night.

Great pics Paul! I like the looks of that feeder too. I'm really interested to see if adding the bungee's gets you any bones.
I bet if you trimmed those cedar branches out of the way it would make your pics much brighter. They are probably hogging alot of your flash, and I wonder if they wouldnt cause some false triggers in the daytime that just happen to have some birds in the background?

I always love your pics! What kind of feeder is that? That's a good looking buck in that one picture!

I too would love to see if you get any bone to fall off in that thing...if nothing else, it should keep them close by while they drop.

What's that white stuff on the ground? Where I'm at in MN we have NONE!

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really interested to see if adding the bungee's gets you any bones.
I bet if you trimmed those cedar branches out of the way it would make your pics much brighter. They are probably hogging alot of your flash, and I wonder if they wouldnt cause some false triggers in the daytime that just happen to have some birds in the background?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to put the softer bungee's on it and try that, I don't want them to get in a "wrestling match" with it or anything...maybe just enough to push a horn off...rather then get caught and pull it off.

The feeder is pretty stable and virtually indestructable so it will be interesting to see if they leave any "bones" behind
cool.gif

I trimmed a bunch of the cedar back but I may have to move it...just not many suitable trees there..all brush and small cedars.

May have to get a steel fence post and attach it to that.

Amazing what goes on....
after dark!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]

May have to get a steel fence post and attach it to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered putting in a 6" wooden post in a few spots that didnt have trees for cams. That way I could use a spade bit and drill a hole through the post for the Python. The cam would not be hidden at all but it would at least allow for some security from a casual trespasser.

Got any pics of how that feeder is built? What is the flap/cover made of, and what holds those pipe sections together? Or is that copywrited info?
grin.gif

I'm guessing your sensitivity is OK. I think the idea of trimming the branches was a good one since they may be interfering. Always interesting though to see what those eyes are all about:

Eyesinthedarkedit.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Got any pics of how that feeder is built? What is the flap/cover made of, and what holds those pipe sections together? Or is that copywrited info?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have a $3000 plastics welder...it looks like a piece of cake
grin.gif

Got another 175 pics the next night:

Beauty.jpg

They sure aren't bashful about putting on the feedbag!
grin.gif

Niceone.jpg

After seeing enough of these pics...I decided I better get busy and put the "antler trap" devices on!
cool.gif

Notbashful.jpg

I'm not sure if I have enough or to many but I put these on it to give it a try.

Bungeeantlertrap.jpg

I like the idea cause I can put em out farther from home and it's self feeding but limited to the size of openings.

Dumping corn on the ground is ok close to home but it really doesn't do anthing as far as an antler trap.

I dunno...I think it's a pretty cool idea...may have to buy one or two
blush.gif
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If you have a $3000 plastics welder...it looks like a piece of cake
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, mine is in the shop.
smirk.gif

That's a nice looking buck though!

Nice looking feeder. WARNING.........knowing nice bucks are near the feeder may make you mental when the sheds don't turn up. Good luck on them.
crazy.gif

Cool feeder. It almost looks like they are bumping their racks on it even without the bungees. I would not be surprised if you find a few prize possessions in the near future.

Those are some great pics Paul! That feeder is great. I wonder if the corn on the bottom will get moldy since the deer cant get clear to the bottom to eat it? Looks like it should work great for collecting a few antlers and maybe some more of those great pics!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
keep posting what happens, I want to know if the bungies work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if they are ready to come off!

396not_yet.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
keep posting what happens, I want to know if the bungies work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if they are ready to come off!

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif
if that doesn't drag em off nothing will!
grin.gif

I've been playing with the program Iowabowtech posted.

Very cool!
cool.gif

before:

Before1.jpg

After:

After1.jpg

Before:

before.jpg

After:

after.jpg

I can see I'm going to have to go back thru my pics to see what I may have missed!
cool.gif

Skully there is no corn in the bottom...it's just a base (like a giant bird feeder) with a pan welded in it for the upper part to set on.

Has holes drilled in it for drainage.

It's pretty stable...but who knows...may see it going across a corn field strapped to a bucks antlers
blush.gif
grin.gif

Dbl maybe you will find that Booner in the background of all your pics. that is def. a cool program.

The home brew has been "busy"
cool.gif

I think maybe a little frost over the flash area though? Daytime pics turn out fine but night pics seem a little blurry.

NiteBuck.jpg

Seems like mostly pic of bucks lately and all still packin'

Not sure if I'll ever "trap" an antler or not...but a little more anticipation checking it
smile.gif

Slippinin.jpg

This kinda weather there's no doubt they'll be back...
smirk.gif

Feb4thbuck.jpg

Chowtime.jpg

Kinda cool pic in the snow

Snowflakes.jpg

No way around the bird pics though...
confused.gif

Morebirds.jpg

The P-41 has been out for 2-3 weeks now and taken several thousand pics in this bitter cold weather.

I'm using the Lithium Energizers and testing them to see how long they will last.

I noticed the flash goes off ALL the time so I need to investigate that...must be a setting wrong?
confused.gif

I'm sure the batteries would last even longer if I can get it flashing only at night...
smirk.gif

Top Bottom