Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

special season passes

teeroy

Life Member
i just got off the phone with elkhunter, the special season passed. we did have one member of the committee vote in our favor, carol kramer.

season will run dec 21-23. late muzzle hunters did get a bone tossed their way, and get 3 days tacked on to their season 11-13.

i just hope these people on the commitee realize, that late muzzle and late bow season harvest will most likely be smaller now, as a result of what they have done. everyone i sent an email to yesterday, will be getting one today from me as well.

If the Powers over us are unhappy with the outcome of this "Special Season", what will be next? Possibly, unlimited doe permits for $4.oo, I am familiar with that. Saw it done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loneranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the Powers over us are unhappy with the outcome of this "Special Season", what will be next?</div></div>

I bet that is why it is Dec. 21-23, so that if they don't get the numbers then, it can be extended into the remainder of the deer season (late antlerless).

Might as well and push the season until Feb. 28th when rabbit season ends. What a joke. I will be sending emails again too!

there will be a press release, explaining the season, and emphasizing safety. hunters in trees should probably put out some colored tap strips to alert others to your presense. i hope the commission doesn't have any injuries to deal with as a result of todays vote.

to those of you with tags left, i urge you to go out and fill them. there may or may not be a way for those of us that are tagged out to buy more tags and join in. if that happens, those of you not bowhunting or muzzle hunting, go shoot another doe or 2..or more.

and to those of you who are not reporting your harvests..this new season has alot to do with you. if you know someone who is not reporting their deer, plop a foot in their ass and get them on board. if that don't work, one anonymous call to the DNR could do the trick. people need to get on board with this new system.

REPORT YOUR FREAKIN DEER HARVESTS!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If the Powers over us are unhappy with the outcome of this "Special Season", what will be next?</div></div>

hopefully price cuts for the january season. worst case senario, the DNR has control of the deer herd ripped from them. then, legislators (who have absolutely no business having the input into hunting/trapping regs that they currently have) will be calling the shots. and that means the big $$$$$ from farm bureau will have a ton of influence. i agree that this season is bad, but now that it has passed, we had better make sure it is a success

i would like to see bowtags added to the list of tags that could be filled. maybe they can add them to the january season.

this season could work to your advantage. this could get you permission to hunt land that was otherwise off limits to you. just be sure to explain to landowners about the new season, and that you will be targeting antlerless deer ONLY.

Well, I guess it's not unexpected that it passed. Kinda puts a down'er on the rest of my season. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Better get some more e-mails sent out.

I'll be on my land, with my bow, freezing my butt off, wearing blaze orange!! Guess I can try shooting out of my new iowa late season bowhunting outfit at the shop tonight!!!

We knew it was going to pass, but our voice was heard!

By special season, do you mean that Double A can hunt, or just a special season for deer? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Teeroy bow tags can be filled during this special season, but only with a bow, they are good until January 10th I thought. Isn't bow season open from Dec 17th to Jan 10th? I don't see this season as taking away from lateseason bow or Ml hunters and just giving shotgun hunters an extra advantage. It is about harvest numbers and the numbers I have read are that we are down 34,000 deer, either bucks or does, and that is for now and if the last weekend of shotgun season isn't very good then that could become 50,000 or more off. There is no way that late season bow or ML hunters or the few extra hunters that brave the January season can begin to make up those numbers. Whether you agree with it or not ONLY shotgun hunting and drives can make up any of those numbers. Cheaper tags or 3 extra days on the end of the bow season won't make any impact and I think we all know that. I don't like the idea of all the extra seasons either and I think my local deer population is way way down but the DNR is up against their harvest numbers projections and need to show they are making every effort to comply.

special season for deer. there is no special ed season for AA as of yet. although, there should be. that way, there would be a mentor in the stand/blind with him to say things like, "no, andy, that is a cat, not a deer"

Ive got 3 tags. I will take Friday off, and I will be out there from sunup to sundown each of those days trying to fill those tags.

I would be really pleased if they would figure out a way next year to make this "clean up" season permanent and time it in a way that will make everyone happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">special season for deer. there is no special ed season for AA as of yet. although, there should be. that way, there would be a mentor in the stand/blind with him to say things like, "no, andy, that is a cat, not a deer" </div></div>

Hahahahhahha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">special season for deer. there is no special ed season for AA as of yet. although, there should be. that way, there would be a mentor in the stand/blind with him to say things like, "no, andy, that is a cat, not a deer" </div></div>

What The!!! Hey, wait, what did I do!! I have been good lately!

You boys have your day coming!! I promise that!! I think they should make a special season for me! If they want to give me the tags and let me use a highpower I will reduce the herd!! Just need someone to do all the dragging and gutting!!

Now you boys stay on topic!! there are plenty of posts on IW where youcna pick on poor ole Andy!!!

I just got off the phone with Willie Suchy, and TeeRoy is right!

The season will take place December 21-23.

Archery season will NOT be extended through the 13th,

Late Muzzleloader will however, be extended three days!
meaning it will end January 13th rather than the 10th....

Willie told me that to prevent this from happneing in the future, all those shotgunners with unfilled tags NEED to get out there and kill deer!

It was passed against our discression, so we now must do our best to shoot as many deer as possible to get the state's harvest numbers up!

thanks to all who emailed and called. this sucks but it isnt the end of the world, there will still be lots of opportunities to hunt!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive got 3 tags. I will take Friday off, and I will be out there from sunup to sundown each of those days trying to fill those tags.

I would be really pleased if they would figure out a way next year to make this "clean up" season permanent and time it in a way that will make everyone happy. </div></div>

Greg - I'm really not trying to pick on you today, but why on earth does it need to be permanent? There is already an extra doe season in parts of the state before Thanksgiving and one in late January that you can take part in. You need another gun season to help you fill your tags every year? This is an odd year with the weather which caused the lower harvest numbers and that is the "reason" for this season - so they say. Next year buy yourself a muzzleoader and you can hunt way into January if you need all that "extra" time to fill your doe tags. I really don't think you understand why Iowa has the best deer hunting in the midwest.

This is the sort of thing that could cause folks to inadvertantly call in every leftover tag they have at the end of every deer season they participate in as harvested. That would bring the ever important numbers up. Not that any of us fine, upstanding citizens at IW would participate in such discretions.

greg, this season is a result of the deer harvest being 34,000 deer behind this time last year. if deer harvests go back to being what they normally are, this season will not return. just take advantage of the opportunity this season provides, and take a couple does

the "clean up" season is permanent, it starts jan 10th. this new season was put in place due to lack of hunters going out in ice storms

Top Bottom