Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

special season passes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came to the conclusion quite some time ago that the insurance companies and FB just won't be happy until all the deer in this state are dead. </div></div>

Kill them all they say....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg? Are you planning some ninja like sneak attack to fill your 3 doe tags? </div></div>

I will use my shotgun for this hunt, I will leave my numchucks and staff at home /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I will be out there waiting for the sun to come up thats for sure.

Has anyone else lost sleep over this, cause I haven't slept the last 2 nights. I'm too excited to go hunting again /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Christmas came twice this year.. </div></div>

Jesus Greg, you got me on the numchucks and staff comment. That's funny. Are you related to Napolean Dynamite? You raise Koi so I thought you might have some throwing stars or something neato like that to hurl at your unsuspecting prey while trying to dodge the regs in this bonus season.

Like I said before, get a muzzleloader for next year so you can hunt longer and not have all this pent up anticipation for an extra doe season causing you to loose sleep. You have a whole week to wait yet, how are you going to manage?

This is a very good post with a ton of great points made from different sides. I like Ghost's comment...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I came to the conclusion quite some time ago that the insurance companies and FB just won't be happy until all the deer in this state are dead </div></div> ... If a guy travels the areas I hunt and talks to farmers the farmers will almost always tell you to kill as many deer as you can, and just leave them lay if you don't want them...I could see that same attitude being adopted by the Insurance companies.

...plus I agree a ton with JNRBRONC's comments, mainly because we hunt around the same area. The numbers in Eastern Iowa are border line ridiculous. I spent around $150 in tags (1 pd bow, 1 pd 2nd shotgun, and the first extra doe tag (full price, and a total crock of chit) and then 7 additional doe tags at $11 a pop) to try to do my part this hunting season. I mistakenly bought the extra doe tags online and hit the send button before I realized that I had selected "BOW-ONLY"...I wanted to split them between bow and shotgun (my mistake). I bring this up though because I think a great solution to the preceived problems at hand would be for the DNR to allow the "extra-doe" tags to be used as a GUN/BOW combo like the spring turkey tags.

I'm not in favor of make shift seasons, but like JNRBRONC said...I tend to trust what the DNR is doing. Perhaps we are headed towards a DOE ONLY season (much like the Buck Only seasons of not so long ago)...with only a limited draw of BUCK tags being made available. Or potentially an "earn-a-buck" tag system. Who knows? The DNR (I hope) will continue to make the hunting rules and I will continue to hunt within them.

I will say I don't feel the whole state should be subject to certain rules when the problems are specifically identified...which is why I'll never understand why my county had a 1000 doe tag reduction this year from last year. Wrong move in my opinion...and now they're trying to make due with the problem they created with the limited tags...even if the weather is to blame, that significant tag reduction wasn't a good idea IMO.

This special season is absolutely stupid. There will be muzzy hunters, bow hunters and NOW shotgun hunters all out at the same time. Some can party hunt, some have to wear orange, not to mention the plethora of tags that will be used. It is a law enforcement NIGHTMARE.

Why didn't they say, "if you have an unfilled tag, fill it during the ALREADY EXISTING late doe season"?? At least then, you know that everyone out there should be shooting antlerless deer. This new season has illegal activity written all over it.

There will be deer killed with shotguns, with muzzy tags on them.

There will be muzzy hunters teaming up with shotgun hunters party hunting.

There will be people killing bucks with slug guns and slapping on all sorts of tags.

ALSO....there will be groups that will buck hunt for this last weekend cause, "heck, we can hunt next weekend too!" This will NOT help kill more does.

I am sick and tired of "new" seasons. November doe season is poachers delight. And now this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Perhaps we are headed towards a DOE ONLY season (much like the Buck Only seasons of not so long ago)...with only a limited draw of BUCK tags being made available. </div></div>

I can hear the whining already! I've even suggested to the DNR that they should entertain this idea. Best thing that could happen for the state IMO. And I don't buy the "it will increase poaching" argument. Poachers obviously don't care about the law, what ever it happens to be.

Fellas I am not sure about you but I am beginning to believe we need to rethink this doe harvest issue especially after looking at some of the data on the DNR site. We may have bought into a program or mindset that is about to become problematic.

I just spent some time on the DNR site trying to find some real numbers and can't. From a population graph it appears that the population goal is about 275,000 total deer and it is very confusing as to how many deer they say we currently have but I think it is somewhere arround 300,000 deer. Then the numbers get even more confusing and disheartening. In 2005 it looks like there were 326,639 hunters who purchased 391,864 licenses and killed 211, 451 deer. According to their information in 1986 there were about 130,000 deer with 62,702 harvested by 141,030 hunters or licensed, I am not sure which, but it amounted to about a 45% sucess ratio. the numbers for 2005 works out to about a 54% sucess ratio. Now comes the problem as I see it. If we take our aproxmate current numbers of hunters and call it 326,639 and turn them loose on the current estimated deer population of 275,000 and given a sucess ratio of 50% that is a kill of 137,500 deer and with the current doe harvest ratio of 60% that means that we kill 82,500 does leaving only 55,000 does in the entire remaining population with 82,500 bucks surviving. My question is how many years of that can we stand? The other big problem that I see is that we now have over 300,000 hunters chasing less than 300,000 deer. So this question is who wants to sit out a year or go back to a lottery system for any kind of license because based on these kind of numbers there just aren't enough to go arround. We have 3 times the number of hunters than in 1986 but we only have about twice the number of deer. Now granted I may have misunderstood the information on the site but that was about as good as I could get and if anyone else can interperate the data better please correct me. I would love to see some easy to understand numbers.

I also looked at the number of anterless licenses available for Davis County, my home, and found it was 3300 not counting the any sex tags that are used there. There were still over 1200 of them left. To date there have been 979 anterless deer reported so of the 2000 anterless tags sold almost 50% are accounted for. There have also been 997 bucks reported so currently the harvest is almost 1 to 1. Right now Davis County has accounted for about 2000 of the 107,824 deer reported. The numbers are just about the same for Van Buren County except some what larger. I just don't see all of this as very encouraging for the future, especially considering that every doe killed this year removes at least 3 deer from next years potential harvest. This is just the way my limited mind works so please help me if you can.

So, my late muzzy license is now good to January 13th. How about my regular old hunting license? I need it sooner or later anyhow but am I forced to buy it to hunt the last 3 days of this season now or can it wait?

hoofline.gif

Please vote in the poll posted in the Poll Forum.

<span style="color: #000099">Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; </span>Details Here!<span style="color: #000099">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>

hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 150 Class</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, my late muzzy license is now good to January 13th. How about my regular old hunting license? I need it sooner or later anyhow but am I forced to buy it to hunt the last 3 days of this season now or can it wait? </div></div>

According to the newly posted rules on the DNR website, you will have to purchase your new, 2008 hunting license in order to hunt the extra 3 days of LM. I KNEW this was going to be a cluster.

Click Here For 3 Day Hunt General Info

Click Here For 3 Day Hunt FAQ's

OneCam,
Would you be willing to add the above links to the special announcment post about the special season that you see when you first logon to the site? There's some key info in that FAQ in particular. They must have just posted it late this afternoon.

Thanks,
Iowabowtech

On a related note, does anybody know on what day you can purchase a 2008 hunting license? Please tell me you don't have to wait until the 2007 season is over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a related note, does anybody know on what day you can purchase a 2008 hunting license? Please tell me you don't have to wait until the 2007 season is over.</div></div>

Tomorrow December 15th.

I'll sum it up for ya........

THIS SEASON IS BULL SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Im glad they gave me those extra 3 days for Late M/L /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Just another opportunity for those guys to kill more bucks party hunting, you actually think they are only going to shoot does? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Im sure if a dandy was walking by them during this season they are going to let him pass.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Sorry all i can do is complain because I dont have enough money to lobby the lobbiest (Spelling)

They blew their chance to tag out because of the weather, I know during bow season if I eat tag sandwhich I dont get extra days.

What I also dont get is that in the paper they said it most likely a case of that the reporting system was down for a few days but it was accepting calls but just not reporting the kills, but heck why not take that into consideration /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

We just have to hope that if the deer pop gets obviously low in some areas, as in Bowmaker's area or mine, that the DNR eventually admits it. As I said before. Up in N. MI, where I come from, the DNR had unlimited permits for some yrs in a row. The hunters began to complain. Eventually,,,it took some time,,but eventually, the DNR up there admitted the deer pop had dropped to possibly a too low level. They backed off on the doe permits, and things did come back some,,I have been told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why didn't they say, "if you have an unfilled tag, fill it during the ALREADY EXISTING late doe season"?? </div></div>

because the DNR feels that they will get better turn out, since shotgun hunters already have their gear out, and are still in the "mindframe" of deer hunting. bottom line, they think more people will go next week, as opposed to next month

You know I am very surprised by many of the comments here. If I did not know better, I would think that the sun rises and sets on us bowhunters and muzzleloader hunters.

What if our season was only a week long and we had really bad weather?

I have only been bowhunting in Iowa for 37 years and muzzleloading for about 12 years and have seen a great benefit reaped by the bowhunter, muzzleloader and all deer hunters in Iowa due to the efforts of the Iowa DNR through the years.

A great hunting resource and still juggling non hunting political interests who could care less about our recreation.

Anyone who knows their way around the Iowa woods and field should recognize that we need to kill does. I was hunting the first gun season we did not harvest enough deer, you didn't need a harvest report to see that.

If we are not making an effort to kill does every season we can,then we cannot complain about management tools that need to be used to keep things in check.

I do not care for an Iowa that has high rates of vehicle deer collisions or property damage problems and a big buck behind every tree. There is nothing wrong with keeping deer hunting a bit of a challenge.

I think we have a great program currently and the DNR has done us well through the years. Sometimes having it good too long can make us a little selfish and forgetful of what it could be like Ask anyone about deer hunting in the 60's and 70's.

Have a little faith.

I'm impressed with it. We are always stating what everything has to do with the dollar. Just think about it, they could have made more tags available to sell, but they didn't. They could have let the unfilled tags from Nov Special season also be used, but they didn't. I don't think it's going to be a huge turn out anyhow. The gentleman at one Walmart had heard about it but no one has replaced tags or asked about it. Gal at a different Walmart, stated they were willing to pay the couple bucks for duplicate tags, but had also thrown away their hunting license and weren't willing to pay the $6.50 to replace them. A large amount of guys hunt shotgun and only shotgun and threw everything away. A few guys I've talked to said they were burnt out on the cold weather and were done anyhow.

I didn't hear of any help available for me after early muzzleloader season with 6 1/2" of rain that made my week tough to hunt. Why not have this extension for all seasons. Oh well, at least I've gotten 3 deer with my semi this year. Alittle hard on front bumpers though. LOL.

If the population is such a crisis then why not let extra doe tags be filled during the late muzzle season???? I have 4 doe tags from bow season that I dont plan on filling because of late muzzle season.

Why in the hell dont they let you pay a $5 fee to transfer the unfilled doe tags from bow to late muzzle??? I'm more than willing to pay the $20 to transfer the tags.

Top Bottom