Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SSB 1225/non-res landowner tags

ElkHunter

Life Member
This may come out of committee today or tomorrow.
It has come to our attention that Sen. Black has decided to move forward with this Study Bill and will introduce to the Senate Natural Resource Committee.
SSB 1225 would set aside 25% of non resi deer & turkey tag for non res landowners. The way Ia. law reads now is 2 acres qualifies you as a landowner.This will send us down a very rocky road and not the path we want or need to take.
Please contact your legislators if they are on this committee. I will say if Sen Black is behind 1225 then we will need more phone calls & emails than usual.Please forward to your hunting buddies.

Dennis H. Black (D, District 21), Chair
Tom Hancock (D, District 16), Vice Chair
E. Thurman Gaskill (R, District 6), Ranking Member
Jerry Behn (R, District 24)
Joe Bolkcom (D, District 39)
[censored] L. Dearden (D, District 34)
Rob Hogg (D, District 19)
David Johnson (R, District 3)
Steve Kettering (R, District 26)
Mary Lundby (R, District 18)
Larry Noble (R, District 35)
Amanda Ragan (D, District 7)
Brian Schoenjahn (D, District 12)
Dr. Joe M. Seng (D, District 43)
Frank Wood (D, District 42)

[ QUOTE ]
SSB 1225 would set aside 25% of non resi deer & turkey tag for non res landowners. The way Ia. law reads now is 2 acres qualifies you as a landowner

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like trouble with a capitol T!!
mad.gif

I know many NR landowners are thinking they would have it made, but this would only increase competion for land and the 25% of tags.

That leaves both NR and Residents right back where they started. Only the wealthy will have a place to hunt...
frown.gif

I would encourage everyone to contact their representatives on this one. This proposal needs to die in committee.
mad.gif

In Illinois you have to own at least 40 acres to qualify as a landowner whether you are a resident or non-resident.That makes more sense than 2 acres.

[ QUOTE ]
Landowners receiving one of these tags will have exclusive use of said property for 1 season. For all other seasons DNR shall establish procedures to list and post land for walk in access for deer hunting by the public.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I read that right...no NR landowner in his right mind would sign up for that...

Good thinking by whoever amended it!
smile.gif

Still plenty of loophole in that though. How would the posting be enforced? Would the landowner be there "working" during other seasons that might discourage or disrupt hunting?

THE AMENDMENTS WERE PULLED
Senator Black is going to run with bill as originally posted.
I'd have to say a special interest group got to him.

Just got this from our lobbyist

The Realators met with Black about 10 minutues ago.
He is caving in on the request to allow the public
access component of the amendment. The only change
would be that the nonresident would have to have owned
the 320 acres by January 1, 2007.

[ QUOTE ]
The only change
would be that the nonresident would have to have owned
the 320 acres by January 1, 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would this be pushed by Realtors? Not for future sales or price appreciation that will raise their cut?

I don't see where the bill lists 320 acres? If this goes through as an owner by such & such a date, the next year it will be applied to new owners as well(just to be fair) and then to smaller tracts(just to be fair). Also- this doesn't list what constitutes proof of tax payment- cancelled check?
So how many farmers that do not hunt will find a new "partner" from out of state that will help pay property tax?

When is this madness going to end?

As a non-resident landowner in Iowa, I'd like to see this bill passed with the provision that some minimum number of acres be owned....say 40-80 acres. It's stated in another post that ownership of 320 acres might be required, which seems like an awful lot to me.
I've really enjoyed my visits to southeast Iowa, it's an incredible area for wildlife lovers. My wife, youngest son, and I plan on being there next week, just to get away for a few days.

I just heard about this last night and I agree with Pharmer on this one. I am glad the state is listening to the non hunters and the rich out of staters. I may as well take up quilting, cuz the non landownders are going to be screwed in the very near future.

The response I got was short, but sweet .

[ QUOTE ]
Joel,

The bill is dead.

Dennis Black

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, to those who jumped on the bandwagon.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom