Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

ill go for the 2 quarts around the 1st of may . Will take some pictures along the way as the progress . I have clay soil here also ill keep you all posted .

Do yourself a favor and put in a few quarts of Simizine per acre. Or, just spend a minute on talking to a farmer to get you down some atrazine at a high rate too. If you're able- 4-5 quarts per acre.

Ill get down some simazine also. I have some in powder form that i used on my Egyptian wheat . It says on the liquid simazine label 4 lbs of simizine per gallon . So if my math is right 1 lb of powder would be = to 1 quart ?

Ill get down some simazine also. I have some in powder form that i used on my Egyptian wheat . It says on the liquid simazine label 4 lbs of simizine per gallon . So if my math is right 1 lb of powder would be = to 1 quart ?

Yes...that is correct

Wow we have had the rains here in Michigan. How will this affect my frost seeded cave in rock . The plot is on small hill side will this wash out my seed ?. Also how will this affect my spraying of panoramic ? Thanks

Dbltree- I have frost seeded CIR into two fields. The first is corn stubble which I plan to spray in a week or two with 1 qt gly and 4 qts atrazine. The second field is rye that was drilled in last fall.

My questions are:

Do I need to spray later than planned with the slow spring?
Do I need to spray the rye any sooner than the corn stubble with it greening up faster? or at different rates than 1 qt. gly and 4 qts atrazine? Thank you in advance!

Dbltree- I have frost seeded CIR into two fields. The first is corn stubble which I plan to spray in a week or two with 1 qt gly and 4 qts atrazine. The second field is rye that was drilled in last fall.

My questions are:

Do I need to spray later than planned with the slow spring?
Do I need to spray the rye any sooner than the corn stubble with it greening up faster? or at different rates than 1 qt. gly and 4 qts atrazine? Thank you in advance!

Kill the rye asap, otherwise rates are the same as well as timing

just got a quote from local seed company...$22 a pound for cave in rock switch grass!!! wasn't it $8 a pound last year?? Is this price out of line? Is there another switch grass close to this that is priced more in the $10 a pound range?

just got a quote from local seed company...$22 a pound for cave in rock switch grass!!! wasn't it $8 a pound last year?? Is this price out of line? Is there another switch grass close to this that is priced more in the $10 a pound range?

I just bought a few pounds of CIR last Friday from Iowa-Missouri Hybrids in Keosauqua for less than $10 a pound. Call Aaron Palm at 641-919-1695.

Yes, it is out of line. My local seed company quoted me $18 a pound. I called Osenbaugh's Prairie Seed Farms and found them to be $9 per pound. At 10lbs per acre, that is a huge price difference. Ordered from Osenbaugh's and will deal with them from now on, great people that are eager to help.:way:

Dbltree, I could again use your help. I missed my window to apply glyphos and atrazine on my 3 year old switch. I over seeded 6 lb/ac in Mar, so I don't think I can put down Oust again. Should I just go with 3 or 4 lbs of atrazine alone in the next week when things dry out.... or just mow a few times this summer? Any other thoughts re: chemicals that would be safe and effective at this point in time. Thanks in advance.

Dbltree, I could again use your help. I missed my window to apply glyphos and atrazine on my 3 year old switch. I over seeded 6 lb/ac in Mar, so I don't think I can put down Oust again. Should I just go with 3 or 4 lbs of atrazine alone in the next week when things dry out.... or just mow a few times this summer? Any other thoughts re: chemicals that would be safe and effective at this point in time. Thanks in advance.

Either option is fine, if you apply atrazine it has to be at higher rates with crop oil to burn things down. That get's expensive and may have limited effectiveness so clipping 8-12" high as needed will sure do the trick

Hi Paul - I've got a 5 acre field that was planted to beans last year. I frost seeded switchgrass into it late Winter. And planted mostly spruce and pines this Spring (almost a month ago). I went around and individually covered each one and sprayed Gly and don't want to do that again (slowly learning)... So now I'm looking to just run in between the plantings with a mist from the ATV Sprayer. Can I safely spray this field with 2 ounces of Oust XP still? Here is a current picture of what the field looks like. Daytime soil temp is right around or just under 70 degrees.

Last edited:
Getting concerned!

I frost seeded first week of March and sprayed roundup and atrazine May 8.
All I see so far is burnt ground! Should my switch be up now?

I have the same question because mine looks exactly the same. I sure hope to see something sprout soon!:confused:

I have the same question because mine looks exactly the same. I sure hope to see something sprout soon!:confused:

I dont think its been hot enough yet, mine didnt come up till june. Hopefully ur fields didnt get flooded though, that could screw them up

No...forget even looking for it until late summer, even if it comes up the average person will hot be able to identify it from foxtail for instance. Find something else to do friends...staring at a a new NWSG field is a lesson in futility the first year!

Flooded/saturated soils further slow germination of NWSG's which I will remind you are WARM season grasses...they grow during hot, humid times of the summer (opposite of cool season grasses). They also grow down and not up the first year so initial growth is notoriously slow.

In light warm soils germination may be quicker and if drilled, more obvious but rule of thumb is that most NWSG and especially switchgrass will be very slow to germinate and put on top growth that the average layman can actually identify as switchgrass.

Best bet is to check in late August other then to monitor weed growth and clip 8-12" high as needed...;)

Top Bottom