Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Frustrated beyond all recognition. Turned over last years attempt at frost seeding . Sprayed Gly, disced and broadcasted Cave In Rock @9 pounds per acre( screening). Then broadcasted Egyptian Wheat. It's been 2 weeks and the only thing popping up is foxtail. I am spraying Atrazine and gly Saturday. Should I be concerned ? First pic is one area and the Second is what's coming up . What rate of Atrazine do you recommend? Thanks in advance.
f566829fdd0ea5a6b5287e4e69206b35.jpg
6ef4e15856fb9788c218fb7c1e1c4d36.jpg
366547a210b358f86ee8790c0315eca0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Check the label on drive to see if active ingredient is quinclorac.

^^^Above - you aren’t going to see switch for a while!!! 2.2 qts is labeled max u can apply. If you could do more- it would be great, like 3-4 qts to acre. But legal is 2.2.

Won't the wheat shade out the new switch?
I've had switch popping up for a couple of weeks now from seed I drilled April 16th, but its spotty. I know it is new seeding because I can see the rows (20 Minutes south of Iowa City).

Looks like it has some in it only 15% vs the Select 75DF has 75%​

Drive XLR8 Herbicide​

Approximate use rate: 64 oz. per acre (1.45 ounces per 1,000 square feet)

See label for all usage details and for weeds controlled

The label recommends the use of a methylated seed oil at the rate of 1.5 pints per acre (0.55 ounces per 1,000 square feet). We offer Duo Stick in our Adjuvant Section.

Active Ingredients:
quinclorac . . . . 15.93%
Other Ingredients: . . . . . . 84.07%
Total: . . . . 100.00%

Quinclorac Select 75DF Herbicide​

Approximate use rate: 1 pound per acre.

Spot spraying: 1 tablespoon of Quinclorac plus 1 tablespoon Duo Stick Select�in enough water to cover 1,000 square feet

The label recommends the use of a Seed Oil. We offer Duo Stick Select in quarts and gallons, normal use rate is approximately 32 ounces per 100 gallons water

See label for specific use rates.�

Active Ingredient:
Quinclorac......75.0%
Other Ingredients........25.0%
Total......100.0%

I actually have some switch coming up this is a 2nd year on the planting. About 3-6" tall right now also have some Crabgrass, Foxtail & broadleaf weeds. I don't want to let it get out of hand.

I was not able to get out and do any pre-emergent spraying this year.

What would be my best option at this point? Mow or spray select 75DF, might be late since switch is coming up to spray 24D?

Check the label on drive to see if active ingredient is quinclorac.

^^^Above - you aren’t going to see switch for a while!!! 2.2 qts is labeled max u can apply. If you could do more- it would be great, like 3-4 qts to acre. But legal is 2.2.
I want to be legal.

Won't the wheat shade out the new switch?
I've had switch popping up for a couple of weeks now from seed I drilled April 16th, but its spotty. I know it is new seeding because I can see the rows (20 Minutes south of Iowa City).
Jake Ehlinger here in Michigan has done some experimenting with using both to get screening faster than normal. I went lighter on the Egyptian Wheat and 9 pounds an acre on the switch. He has had good success with it.

On a 2nd year Cave & Rock planting with no growth seen last year, I am seeing some this year. Is it O.K to use 24D or Quinclorac now? Or just mow it and wait another month to use either of these chemicals? .

On a 2nd year Cave & Rock planting with no growth seen last year, I am seeing some this year. Is it O.K to use 24D or Quinclorac now? Or just mow it and wait another month to use either of these chemicals? .
Wait until switch has several leaves minimum. Taller the better to handle 2,4-d (I just like being conservative & careful). Good to go on quinclorac & methylated seed oil.

Reactions: J_P
  • Deleted by Ishi
Show…
Process on this one. New farm for a client. HEAVY thatch: Sprayed at green up, waited 2 weeks, burned to remove thatch. Sprayed again mid June and drilled same day. So, this will be dead dead shortly. Hopefully we get some rain.
Switchgrass 1.png

Switchgrass 2.png

Top Bottom