Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

we planted 50 each of roughleaf, sand plum, and fragrant sumac and the soil wasn't froze

C-mon...that's not fair!! Still 8" of snow here! :thrwrck::moon::D

Share some pictures later when they get going!:way:

Even though tree planting seems far off at this point here as well, I did have a question. I am planning on planting trees in an area that was planted in rye this past fall. Would I need to kill the rye (i.e. herbicide) before tree planting or would the rye be beneficial for weed control this first few months?

Even though tree planting seems far off at this point here as well, I did have a question. I am planning on planting trees in an area that was planted in rye this past fall. Would I need to kill the rye (i.e. herbicide) before tree planting or would the rye be beneficial for weed control this first few months?

You'll want to spray the rye so that the dead mulch will help hold soil moisture and also keep small weeds at bay for a bit.

Don't let it grow tall however as it would quickly shade the seedlings and dry up soil moisture when it dies....;)

Things are a bit different here, but we've had more snow this year than in last 2 decades combined...fortunately no damaging ice!

Elm is easy to spot this time of year as it is the first tree to begin shedding bud scales. Noticed yesterday while hinging that sap is beginning to move in most tree species. Will this affect hinge success?

Road survey across the property revealed a conservative 25-30 deer in pastures. The few 50 degree days have spurred the growth of various cool season forbs such as carolina geranium and chickweed....plus various cool season grasses...bermuda pastures can serve as habitat when times are lean. Noticed a dozen on a beeline to where my cousin fed some alfalfa hay...a good thing to know! :D 6-8 are regulars in the destination area. Deer sure are hungry right now, enough to risk daylight exposure....plus 'season is long over'.

Our bottomland is too wet for tree planting this year and don't want to risk drowning hybrid oaks there. I cut back the order from Oikos to just upland oak varieties....25 ea of burgamble, burlive, and chestnut leaf.

Have I mentioned that the BR550 blower will also move snow! :drink2:

sap is beginning to move in most tree species. Will this affect hinge success?

Should work just fine! I hinge all the way to mid April and it works fine.

Have I mentioned that the BR550 blower will also move snow

I looked "longingly" at one today...;)

Looks like I got quite a deal on fertilizer for my trees:

Osmocote 15-9-12, 4.5 pounds for 3 bucks at Lowe's and it feeds for 6 months and guaranteed not to burn.

Looks like I got quite a deal on fertilizer for my trees:

Osmocote 15-9-12, 4.5 pounds for 3 bucks at Lowe's and it feeds for 6 months and guaranteed not to burn.

I use Osmocote on al my "yardscape" flowers and such...great stuff! Reccomended to use when planting the acorns in the rootmaker potting mix too...:way:

I use Osmocote on al my "yardscape" flowers and such...great stuff! Reccomended to use when planting the acorns in the rootmaker potting mix too...:way:

Just fertilized some dwarf chinkapin oak acorns that are starting to sprout up. I know I was supposed to wait to plant them out when the temps were warmer, but when my wife said she needed more fridge space I was more than happy to put some acorns in containers in a south window. :D

Tell momma that BR550 would make a great easter gift to beautify her yard! She may just surprise you!

Got a lil note today from UPS....Oikios are on the way for ETA of Wed....25 each of burgamble, burlive, and chestnutlleaf...all paper potted. Which is best?...plant with or without removing paper pot? Have seen referece both ways! :confused:

Just about done hinging for the year...great timing too....ticks are out and 'spring greenup' has begun! :way:

Which is best?...plant with or without removing paper pot? Have seen referece both ways! :confused:

The less you disturb the better, I say leave them on.

Just about done hinging for the year...great timing too....ticks are out and 'spring greenup' has begun! :way:

Lucky dog!! We are not even close to even digging a hole in the ground cause it is still frozen. :thrwrck: :D

Tell momma that BR550 would make a great easter gift to beautify her yard! She may just surprise you!

Got a lil note today from UPS....Oikios are on the way for ETA of Wed....25 each of burgamble, burlive, and chestnutlleaf...all paper potted. Which is best?...plant with or without removing paper pot? Have seen referece both ways! :confused:

I always leave them in the pot but I suppose you could take them out if you wanted?

Looked at a Stihl 600 magnum at the Iowa Deer Classic...now that's what I'm talkin' about righ there! :way::D

Oikos arrived in great condition last Thursday and planted all this weekend in three locations. Chestnutleaf and burgamble were of the 6-12" variety. The burlive were 12-24" seedlings and I noticed that roots on trees of this size were pruned with an angle cut right at the base of paper pot. This got me to thinking! :thrwrck:

The shrubs we got from Okie forestry had 'massive' root wads and it would have been much simpler to prune most of that mess just before for dibble planting. :thrwrck:

So here is the question....Can roots be pruned to say 9" on bare root seedlings immediately before planting? Maybe it's in the readings somewhere and I just missed it!

The kids also planted about 5 lbs of live oak acorns while I went to pick up a load of lime. Wonder how well the mice played when the cat was away! :rolleyes:

Can roots be pruned to say 9" on bare root seedlings immediately before planting?

According to this link it's not a good idea!

10 commandments of tree planting

Ok...March 14th...time to get out the Rootmaker cells and get some acorns planted! :way:

We got 18 cell Rootmakers to start them in and they set in an open cell tray to allow air to circulate completely for air pruning.

CIMG0681.jpg

CIMG0687.jpg

CIMG0688.jpg

I couldn't find all of the items needed to make my own soiless mix so i just used some Potting mix

CIMG0683.jpg

My intention was to start the acorns in trays like this

CIMG0684.jpg

CIMG0685.jpg

However when I got the acorns out of the fridge, every single one was already sprouted...even the Red Oaks! :eek:

I planted the acorns from Oikos Tree Crops first and all of them had a root sprouted and many also sending out a shoot.

CIMG0689.jpg

CIMG0690.jpg

CIMG0691.jpg

CIMG0692.jpg

Look at the root system already developed on this baby!

CIMG0693.jpg

and many of them were that way but I managed to stuff them into the cells!

CIMG0694.jpg

Timburr Chestnuts

CIMG0695.jpg

CIMG0696.jpg

Red Oak

CIMG0706.jpg

Thankfully my wife loves me enough to allow me to have a geenhouse in our living room! :rolleyes::D

Acornplantings.jpg

Hopefully they will take off and get started about the time the weather moderates so I can put them outside. It's important for them to be exposed to wind and some temp variations but if I have to i'll put a fan on them for awhile to to encourage strong trunks... ;)

Now I need to order more Rootmaker cells from Big Rock Trees to plant the Kazak apple seeds! :way:

Great stuff Paul!! I see you was lucky enough to get some of those hybrid oak acorns from Oikos. Missed the boat on that one. :D

You can prune those acorns back so they will send out more lateral roots. That one looks like it needs a rootmaker bag already and is a candidate for hybrid vigor!!!

Be careful not to overwater them with that peat mix, it is easy to do...trust me :D

Looks like storing white oak acorns in the fridge all winter is a great way!! These are some dwarf chinkapin oaks from various sources that are doing great. My wife needed more room in the fridge so she twisted my arm to go ahead and plant them now. :D

DwarfChinkapinOaks-1.jpg

There are pots the DCO's are in from Stuewwe and Sons (sp?) and are ribbed on the edges to force roots down to the bottoms where they are air pruned.

Here is the link to the treepots I bought to test alongside the rootmaker cells and see if there is any difference.

Stuewe and Sons Tree Pots

Last edited:
Here is a dwarf chinkapin growing in a 4 or 5 inch deep jiffy pot, the advantage here is you can just plant the entire pot and all out whenever the seedling has outgrown it. I will be growing some dwarf chinkapins, various perennial sunflowers and black walnuts in these jiffy pots and see how well they do alongside the rootmaker pots and bags.

100_1328.jpg

what do you guys suggest for building a poacher screen? I have a foodplot right out my back door and I want to build a screen so the deer feel more comfy while they are in the plot. I am looking for something fast growing if possible. I am also considering cedars. They are slow growing but the deer won't tear em up near as much as a pine. Throw some ideas out there guys. Thanks

Be careful not to overwater them with that peat mix, it is easy to do...trust me

Yikes! Thanks Phil...I'll watch that! :way:

what do you guys suggest for building a poacher screen? I have a foodplot right out my back door and I want to build a screen so the deer feel more comfy while they are in the plot. I am looking for something fast growing if possible. I am also considering cedars. They are slow growing but the deer won't tear em up near as much as a pine. Throw some ideas out there guys. Thanks

What I prefer to do is plant a row or two of fast growing shrubs and then red cedars...the shrubs will grow quickly and then the cedars will fill in and you have a "forever" screen that is unbeatable and deer feel safe behind.

Check the front page for a list of shrubs like ninebark, wild plum and nannyberry that would do the trick...:)

Hey guy's, If you were planting dogwoods,plum,elderberry & cedars for deer bedding & cover on 1 acre with 5+5 spacing.How many cedars would you plant for good bedding.

Hey guy's, If you were planting dogwoods,plum,elderberry & cedars for deer bedding & cover on 1 acre with 5+5 spacing.How many cedars would you plant for good bedding.

Not as many cedars as the other goodies you listed. Sparse cedars on a south facing slope in winter is dynamite bedding. Dogwoods, plum and elderberry will provide good browse and cover to I would go heavier on those than the cedars. :way:

Top Bottom