Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whats the hot setup for homebrews now?

TimberPig

After mulling it over for a couple years I think I am finally ready to take the plunge on a home brew camera. My primary reason for going homebrew is to possibly cut costs and definately to increase the trigger time and battery life over most of what is available commercially. Other than my fear of hacking the camera, I like to tinker and I think I would enjoy the rest of the project.

I know this question has been asked about a bazillion times here, but what is the current hot setup for cam and board?
It looks like the BG2 is the board of choice now? What cam? I am not much of an Ebay guy, never bought from there, but it looks like the Sony P41's are pretty scarce. Any good (fast trigger time) replacement cam for the P41?

I just registered on Hagshouse but apparently havent got clearance yet.

Pixcontroller.com- their LE or Trail Mode board and WhitetailSupply.com XLP are also a good board. An instruction included on their site.

[ QUOTE ]
but it looks like the Sony P41's are pretty scarce. Any good (fast trigger time) replacement cam for the P41?

I just registered on Hagshouse but apparently havent got clearance yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree it can be difficult to find a P41. Other option would be Sony's P32, S40, and S600. Usually you can find Pixcontroller & WhitetailSupply at www.realdealhuntingchat.invisionzone.com They're sponsor on that site, I think.

BG2 is the way to go. You can still find p41 and 32's on ebay at a decent price. The s600 is a good cam for minerals and scrapes but for trails, it is just a tad too slow. Some of the folks doing R&D on the newer cams may find a more suitable current model camera. Only time will tell. If you have any building questions, there are a few around that have built quite a few homebrews. Good Luck

I'm thinking that making a homebrew would be a good father/son project this winter
cool.gif

So as you figure it out TP...give me some clues ok??
confused.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking that making a homebrew would be a good father/son project this winter
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent idea Paul! I'll pretend to be your son, you make a couple and I'll use 'em! Thanks dad...
laugh.gif

bg2 and p41 or p32 is still the best out there. Maybe, my next setup ill build it live on here. How would that work for everybody? It could be a group build via the internet as well. How many first timers are out there that want to try this?

I think a "web course" would be cool, though I'm not quite ready for that yet. I thought about what you are suggesting while reading the taxidermy thread. I think it would be great to have a meeting somewhere so that someone who knows what they are doing can show us newbies how it is done. Though I don't fear hacking a camera, it would sure be nice to have someone who has done it there for guidance!

[ QUOTE ]
Trailcam 101 at my house. That could be interesting!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your place (pre/post Classic) or maybe a workshop at the Classic when people will be in the area??? Usually I need a deadline to get me moving on something, so something like this might be the kick in the pants I need! A deadline might also get me hoarding the components I would need.

[ QUOTE ]
bg2 and p41 or p32 is still the best out there. Maybe, my next setup ill build it live on here. How would that work for everybody? It could be a group build via the internet as well. How many first timers are out there that want to try this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vman, Im all about doing that! I'm definately in the market for one here soon, so I'd love to see it done as i'm sure many others would as well.

Let'er rip!

My vote would be for the BG2 and the P41. I don't think the S40 takes the quality of picutres the p41 does.

Get a BG2 and do some research by reading a couple website and it shouldn't take too long to build.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be a great idea. I'm sure many people like me could get a lot of help from that without having to ask so many questions.

Thanks for everyones advise as well. Looks like I need to find a couple P41's.

I'm in vman. If you could post an equipment list a couple weeks prior to doing it that would allow us to get the goods before the HB101 class.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent idea Paul! I'll pretend to be your son, you make a couple and I'll use 'em! Thanks dad...
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

doah.gif
grin.gif

Sounds like a great idea building it on here via pics and instructions from vman
waytogo.gif

Here's a couple of previous threads that might give everyone some idea what they might need:

Pete's Pics

List

Hagshouse

[ QUOTE ]
I hope we all don't bid against each other for cams on EBay!
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking the same thing!
grin.gif

Hey Vman, I think the online course would be a great idea. I would be in for sure. Just need a supply list.

I also wanted to ask, how many of you guys do a lot of shopping on e-bay. I found several of the p41's. I know we will probably end up bidding against each other so just to let you know my name on that site is Huntnut78. If we know who is who we may be able to avoid competition amongst ourselves. If we space the timing out and keep a list of the Iowawhitetail guys we might be able to limit driving up the prices on each other. Just a thought. And also how many people have been burned by purchases on ebay? I saw several sellers that appear to be pawnshops. It may be a legitimate way for them to move merchandise but I have my concerns. And do you try for new in box equipment or is used stuff okay for these projects? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom