Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

winter battery life - ball park

A lot of it will depend on delay and temps. I just pulled 3 cameras this wee that had been out for better than 3 weeks and all had 1/4 battery life left.

How often do you check you cameras? That is how often I change my batteries. It might not be the best thing for those rechargables but the cameras get fresh batteries and memory stick every time I check them, which for me is rarely more than a week.

Muddy what size batteries you running? I'm using 2500 mah and they have over 1 volt yet when I check them once a week. The movement has slowed down so not as many pics. I think unless it gets real cold I could go 2 to 3 weeks if I had to. But who can wait.

The main factors are...temperature, number of pictures using the flash, etc...

I am filling 256 cards at a 5 minute delay before my batteries go dead right now.

It's really hard to say without looking at all the variables with your set ups.

I can tell you mine will be dead in three days right now on my P-41s.

But, that is 500 pictures later...

I take a fresh set of cards and freshly recharged batteries with me on each trip.

My cam is set on a double burst (a pic then another pic 10 seconds later) and then it goes off again after a minute reset.

I am not planning on going to corn piles though as I'm still hunting.

I would still check it once a week.

Two nine volts on the board will last a year.

It still is dependent on the number of pictures using the flash as well as extreme cold will reduce life.

You will just have to learn from experience.

It's like asking how many hours/days a 24 pack will last, too many variables for a definitive answer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I take a fresh set of cards and freshly recharged batteries with me on each trip. </div></div>

What are you guys using for chargers or are you just buying new each time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I take a fresh set of cards and freshly recharged batteries with me on each trip. </div></div>

What are you guys using for chargers or are you just buying new each time? </div></div>

Tony, I have a 15 minute AA Energizer charger and buy AA Energizer rechargeable batteries. (Green and black in color)

Thanks for the replies, I'll just have to get the camera out and pay attention to it.

On a side note, I've had pretty bad luck with rechargeable batteries. The AA Energizers I had for my digital cam would be dead within a week no matter what time of year and even when the camera was off, sitting in the case.

Yes, they don't quite last like brand new Duracells...

But it is the most cost effective way to go when you have quick access to your cameras.

I know a guy that drives 2 hours down and 2 hours back to check his cams...battery cost at that point is null and void. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know a guy that drives 2 hours down and 2 hours back to check his cams...battery cost at that point is null and void. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
</div></div>

You talking about me Kent? Except I am two hours up. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Just kidding.
Charger would be great for me during the fall and rut when I am
there a lot. Otherwise it might not be cost feasible.
Need to show the farmer how to check them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">P.S...if I set up my moultrie in the a.m, it is done by dark. </div></div>

I hear you on that one. I used to have two Moultries that did the same thing. They would be dead everytime I checked it.
With your temps I am surprised you are getting that.

What type of batteries are you buying? (Gonna buy stock in it.) /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

But it is the most cost effective way to go when you have quick access to your cameras.
</div></div>

What, you think you have quick access or something? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I hear ya though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a guy that drives 2 hours down and 2 hours back to check his cams... </div></div>

Sounds like a real "odd" fellow... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I gave up on all the other stuff and started using Lithium Energizers...they are worth their weight in gold to not have dead batteries all the time.

Extreme bitter cold weather doesn't phaze them (even wayyy up north... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif )

Very pricey but I like them escpecially if you can't/don't check them often.

I have a pile of fun with these homebrews and it's very dissapointing to check them and find dead batteries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What are you guys using for chargers or are you just buying new each time? </div></div>

I got a Powerex MH-C9000 for Christmas. It was recommended by others. It charges then discharges then charges again training the batteries for a better charge. The guys at the trail cam forums always use recharged batteries or lithium batteries.I'm talking about the AA's. As was mentioned the 9V should run the board for a long time. I just use alkaline for the 9v.

Top Bottom