Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

winter battery life - ball park

I have kinda gotten away from the rechargables and have been using litiums I also broke down and bought the same charger as Goatman for myself for xmas Just came yesterday and the first 4 batteries I put in had just come from my old charger one was bad and needed to be thrown away one was in bad need of being reformed and seems that it will end up being the best of the 4 when its done forming The thing with the Rechargable is if you put one good battery in and one weak one the weak battery will give out quick and thats when we get back and find a dead cam with no pics I got mine from Ghoot at Snapshot Sniper his prices were as good or better than any I found. I plan to go through all my old ones and start using them again once I can get them back to full charge

I've had really good luck with rechargeable AA's using Energizer 2500's and Powerex 2700's in a Powerex 4 bay charger (1 hr charger with discharge ability). These batts arent that old, Feb '07, but they have had a alot of use in the last 7 months.
I set 3 cams up on Nov 27th (all Sony S600's). One was checked during 2nd gun season, one on Dec 21st and the last one tonight. All were still taking pics when I walked up, but the last 2 cams had nearly 2 weeks of down time due to ice covering them (bummer as I missed most of gun season pics).
The one I checked tonight ran for 30 days, took about 240 pics, and it was still working even though I left the LCD screen on. It was showing the empty battery icon but you cant ask for much more than that.
I didnt have my P41 out but it seems to use batts about the same as the S600's. I think the lithiums with a big memory card would be the way to go for long term use in cold weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The one I checked tonight ran for 30 days, took about 240 pics, and it was still working even though I left the LCD screen on. It was showing the empty battery icon but you cant ask for much more than that.
I didnt have my P41 out but it seems to use batts about the same as the S600's. I think the lithiums with a big memory card would be the way to go for long term use in cold weather. </div></div>

Only 240?? Dangit TP I still think you need to come down and get a "truck load" of deer...then you can really test those batteries! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm using the 512's and sometimes there is as many as 600-700 pics on them and it I'm not talkin' a months worth...if ya hear what I'm sayin'... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I should buy a charger and compare the lithiums to rechargables perhaps. $10 for 4 lithiums at Wallymart today...says they last 7 times longer with exceptional performance in cold weather.

I think over a feed pile in the back yard (or some such) then rechargeables most likely would work better/cheaper, but for taking literally hundreds of pics in bitter cold weather or when checking them often isn't an option...I think the lithiums are well worth the few extra bucks.

I checked a camera (p32 IR) today that I set up over a scrape Nov. 8th. I just never got back to check it until this morning, I had 375 pictures and it was still taking pics. Energizer 2500 rechargables seem to work great for me.

Wow thats super Pete The key is having full capacity batteries I am still trying to figure out this charger I just got but once I get onto it I hope that I can come close to that again. Also a p32 is better with batteries than any sony camera

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfoutdoors</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow thats super Pete The key is having full capacity batteries I am still trying to figure out this charger I just got but once I get onto it I hope that I can come close to that again. Also a p32 is better with batteries than any sony camera </div></div>

I was thinking it was the Bigfoot Board /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Actually I was shocked, I also checked a P41 that had only been out for 2 weeks 58 pics and dead batteries, but I am running a BG2 in that one /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Only 240?? Dangit TP I still think you need to come down and get a "truck load" of deer...then you can really test those batteries! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm using the 512's and sometimes there is as many as 600-700 pics on them and it I'm not talkin' a months worth...if ya hear what I'm sayin'... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
</div></div>

Something tells me I'm not going to get a truckload of booners? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Besides, my little plots cant feed that many deer.
I was surprised and figured the card would be full and the batts dead, but the cam was blinded by ice from 12/1 to 12/13, then again for a few days the next week. But the cam was still refreshing so I guess it counts for battery life discussions...

I might try the lithiums next year during bow season to simplify checking the cams.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">P.S...if I set up my moultrie in the a.m, it is done by dark. </div></div>

Which model Moultrie is that?

During cold weather, my P41's will usually last about 1 to 2 weeks with rechargeables compared with about 3+ weeks in warmer weather. Lithiums will give me about 3-4 weeks in the cold. I never run lithiums in warm weather so I don't have a time frame for them in those conditions. On ALL battery life discussion however, it depends alot on how many flash pics were taken as that's the primary battery drain. I also disable the shutter door on the P41's which I think helps conserve some juice, not to mention makes a quiet cam.

Top Bottom