Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

I overseed rye, radish and red clover as the leaves start to yellow....oats do not germinate well on the soil surface. Peas can also work fairly well IF you get plenty of rain.

Overseed rye at 100-150#'s per acre, radish at 5#'s and red clover at 12-15 (for spring forage(

Thanks always a big help I appreciate every bit.

Dbltree,

I'm going to expand a plot for next year since the deer ate my rye mix to the dirt. I want to get something going in this new plot this spring to begin improving the soil. I think I remember reading in one of your threads that you prefer oats and some kind of annual clover for new spring plots. However I can't seem to find it anywhere now. How much should I plant and which clover is best for a hilltop pipeline right of way that is compacted from being driven on? Thanks in advance.

Doug

Dbltree,

I'm going to expand a plot for next year since the deer ate my rye mix to the dirt. I want to get something going in this new plot this spring to begin improving the soil. I think I remember reading in one of your threads that you prefer oats and some kind of annual clover for new spring plots. However I can't seem to find it anywhere now. How much should I plant and which clover is best for a hilltop pipeline right of way that is compacted from being driven on? Thanks in advance.

Doug

I plant oats and any annual clover which might include berseem, crimson or arrowleaf clovers. Yo may find them at your local co-op or you can order from outside sources and ship seed to your door.

Clover Seed

Plant roughly 60#'s or 2 bushel of oats along with the 8-12 berseem clover or 10-15 crimson clover, you can clip the oats off mid summer or allow them to mature and mow/shred them before tilling them under for the rye mix and end up with some free oat seed...:way:

January 1, 2011

Forage peas and forage radish

The winter rye, oats, forage peas, forage radish, red clover mix is still being grazed hard although repeated nights in the single digits has started to kill out the oats.

ryeoatpearadishmix.jpg

Despite the fact I repeatedly focus on the fact this is a mix and how each plant in the mix serves a purpose, people often leave out the important elements such as peas and radish plants. Forage peas, be it Austrian Winter Peas or forage peas like 4010 peas are the candy in the mix that makes it irresistible to whitetails and helps attract and hold deer on our property.

Pea1.jpg

The peas have all been grazed hard and I had to really search for the only surviving remnants

pea2.jpg

Fall planted peas that are not grazed can easily be a foot or more high but as you can see these are barely and inch or two high.

Pea3.jpg

Peas are tender succulent and tasty morsels that whitetails cannot resist and help us compete against neighboring crop fields

Pea4.jpg

Peas are not unlike baby soybeans that we see whitetails feeding in during late spring early summer months but the difference is that peas are very cold hardy and often if not eaten to the dirt will survive the winter under a blanket of snow.

Pea5.jpg

The Groundhog Forage Radish is another "candy plant" that deer cannot resist and in every field the GHFR plants are grazed to the dirt

GHFR1.jpg

and eventually they will eat the remaining roots as well

GHFR2-1.jpg

I have nearly 20 feeding areas on 8 farms that have the rye/oats/peas/radish/red clover mix planted in them in an area that covers two counties and each of them has been grazed to the ground. Talk is cheap of course and I never expect anyone to believe in the effectiveness of this mix without solid, consistent and undeniable pictorial proof...not from one day, one week or one month but from the time it comes up in September until I till it under for brassicas next summer....

d1-3.jpg

The cam monitoring this field had over 4000+ pics in 30 days...common on any fields I plant and certainly nothing extraordinary

d10.jpg

Every day regardless of the weather

d12.jpg

they graze like cattle in the rye mix

d14.jpg

and in this field have nothing left but the rye at this point

d21.jpg

The red clover will take off in the spring to continue feeding deer until tilled under for a rotation to brassicas.

b4-3.jpg

Whitetails that have food sources in one central feeding area become adapted to it if they have it year around

b5a.jpg

and that's what keeps the big boys hanging around

b7a.jpg

Some recent questions...

Can I frost seed red or white clover into winter rye without concern about the allelopathic effects of the rye?

Absolutely! Always seed the clovers in the fall if you can because that insures they are already established and will grow rapidly in the spring but if you forgot or didn't think to add clovers this fall you can easily and effectively frost seed white, red or alsike clovers into the rye in March (when ground is freezing at night and thawing during the day...mid to late march in my area)

Clover seeds will germinate earlier then common warm season annual weeds and long before rye has developed allelopathic chemicals that inhibit small weed seeds from germinating.

If I plant forage radish with the rye can I safely rotate to a July planted brassica mix without concern for disease

You bet! The fall planted radish plants will first...be eaten to the dirt and then any root that is left will quickly decompose by mid to late winter and 4-6 months will have passed before planting the next brassicas, more then enough time to break any disease/pest cycles.

I want to start the rye and brassica rotation but what cover crop can I plant this spring?

Oats and annual clovers like berseem, crimson and arrowleaf are great cover crops that feed deer all spring and summer and then provide biomass and nitrogen when tilled under for brassicas in July or the rye mix in late August.

A summary of what I plant is listed below....

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring.

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

It is like you read my mind. I am sitting here today going through what to plant next year and when to plant it and at what rates. I have an 11 acre field that is gonna be my hotspot from now on. I was trying to decide how to break it down and then you post this:way:. This is what I am thinking, three of the four outside edges planted into switch about 3 acres of the field. The next area will be 3 acres of corn. Followed by a break of egyptian wheat with 3 more acres of beans "inside" the ew screen. That leaves an acre for brassicas and an acre for rye mix and a little border of clover around the beans, brassicas, and rye. The field is a perfect square so I figure with the corn and then the ew screen shaped like this [ it will really keep that pesky neighbor to my west from being able to shoot into my field.

Sounds like a great plan SWBUCKHNTR...keep us posted this next year...:way:

I always enjoy getting pictures from other landowners and these were sent in from a friend in South Dakota (SoDakarcher) where he planted the cereal grain mix on his 180 acre farm there.

Pretty country and lot's of cover in the native warm season grass!

DSC00083.jpg

The rye mix received only a 1/4" of rain after planting

DSC00084.jpg

so while it could have done better, it's not to shabby considering the lack of rain!

DSC00087.jpg

This coming year he plans to sub-divide the plots and include white clover and brassica plantings within the same plot

DSC00089.jpg

The winter rye in the mix is still green and he estimates 20-30 deer are using his feeding areas

DSC00085.jpg

all of which are literally torn up and covered with deer scat

DSC00090.jpg

This is Bryan's first year at planting food for whitetails and is delighted with the results of the rye mix which is the most dependable and easy mix to start with and then one can easily move forward into the crop rotation where white clover, brassicas and the rye mix are all grown in strips or blocks within the same field.

This is the mixes that I encourage landowners to plant in one centralized feeding area per 80-120 acres that will allow you to feed deer year around and thereby adapt them to always feeding there and in turn always living on your property. You must of course have excellent bedding cover in the form of timber and/or NWSG or food sources may go unnoticed...

Alice (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot...plant with the rye mix below and soil test for needed P&K/lime requirements. Lacking a soil test I use 400#'s of 6-28-28 and 500#'s of pel lime in my area.

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost. Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea, 400#'s of 6-28-28 (or comparable such as 400#'s triple 19 ) Add lime per soil test. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring and no fertilizer is necessary at that time.

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas only 100-200#'s of urea may be needed but first time plantings may need to be fertilized and limed as the noted for the brassicas.

For great examples of how to lay out a feeding area and incorporate ALL the food sources into one feeding area, read thru the Getting Started thread for detailed aerial layouts.

Getting Started

When you plant the oats/annual clover do you put down any fertilizer, if so what amount? What month do you typically plant the oats/clover? April?

When you plant the oats/annual clover do you put down any fertilizer, if so what amount? What month do you typically plant the oats/clover? April?

If the field has been previously fertilized and limed (as if for brassicas the following year)...no...however if this is a first time virgin plot then it's a great time to get P&K and lime tilled in at planting.

Mid April to mid May is most of the Midwest is proper planting time for oats and annual clovers

Paul, I plan on drilling your rye mix in next year with a truax no-till. Wondering how many lbs i should drill this seed in at per acre?

Paul, I plan on drilling your rye mix in next year with a truax no-till. Wondering how many lbs i should drill this seed in at per acre?

Plant as noted below...lower rates for low deer density but higher rates for high deer numbers...;)

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas only 100-200#'s of urea may be needed but first time plantings may need to be fertilized and limed as the noted for the brassicas.

January 8th, 2012

When I am asked to start a new feeding area from scratch where I am dealing with sod (such as that found in a CRP field) I always start with the winter rye combination mix. The mix works great to establish white clover around the perimeter, to break down the sod and to adapt deer to feeding somewhere they have never fed before. Never once has it let me down on any counts....even when it has to compete with corn a hundred yards away....

1-05-2012Lee.jpg

Cams verify use night....

PICT0171.jpg

and day

PICT0245.jpg

The tender succulent winter rye and oats is irresistible to whitetails

PICT0318.jpg

and the peas and radish are impossible to pass up

PICT0486.jpg

The rye keeps growing when temps are above 34 degrees and keeps them fed all winter long

PICT0774.jpg

and the red clover in the mix keeps them fed all spring and summer

PICT0991.jpg

This coming summer we will expand the feeding area (it's grazed to the dirt now) and incorporate the brassica mix into half to provide a combination of year around food sources that will adapt deer to coming to one central feeding area. It will be screened with Egyptian Wheat to make them even more comfortable during daylight hours.

Alice (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover.

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28

Hairy Vetch

I use red clover with my fall winter rye/oats/peas/radish mix to provide a high quality source of spring and summer feed while at the same time producing up to 2 1/2 tons of organic matter and as much as 130#'s of nitrogen per acre. Clover however does not do well on light, sandy dry soils so one option where improving poor soils is imperative is adding hairy vetch.

hairyvetch.jpg

Vicia villosa

Type: winter annual or summer annual legume
Roles: N source, weed suppressor, topsoil conditioner, reduce erosion

Few legumes match hairy vetch for spring residue production or nitrogen contribution. Widely adapted and winter hardy through Hardiness Zone 4 and into Zone 3 (with snow cover), hairy vetch is a top N provider in temperate and subtropical regions. The cover grows slowly in fall, but root development continues over winter. Growth quickens in spring, when hairy vetch becomes a sprawling vine up to 12 feet long. Field height rarely exceeds 3 feet unless the vetch is supported by another crop. Its abundant, viney biomass can be a benefit and a challenge. The stand smothers spring weeds, however, and can help you replace all or most N fertilizer needs for late-planted crops

Hairy vetch is not the most attractive forage but forage nonetheless and far better then no cover crop at all. It far exceeds the value of a non-legume like buckwheat at all levels yet is rarely used simply because few people are aware of it's value as a soil builder. Unlike clovers hairy vetch will grow on poor sandy soils and like clovers can produce a significant amount of nitrogen that can be utilized by the next crop (such as brassicas)

Nitrogen source

Hairy vetch delivers heavy contributions of mineralized N (readily available to the following cash crop). It can provide sufficient N for many vegetable crops, partially replace N fertilizer for corn or cotton, and increase cash crop N efficiency for higher yield.

7-23vetchsmallLarg.jpg

While vetch can improve soil tilth it is not as adept at building organic matter because it breaks down quickly, however winter rye (which also grows well on sand) can feed deer all fall, winter and early spring...AND provide long lasting organic matter.

Hairy vetch improves topsoil tilth, creating a loose and friable soil structure. Vetch doesn’t build up long-term soil organic matter due to its tendency to break down completely. Vetch is a succulent crop, with a relatively low carbon to nitrogen ratio. Its C:N ratio ranges from 8:1 to 15:1, expressed as parts of C for each part of N. Rye C:N ratios range from 25:1 to 55:1, showing why it persists much longer under similar conditions than does vetch. Residue with a C:N ratio of 25:1 or more tends to immobilize N.

A great combination on poor soils that will not grow red clover might be winter rye, crimson clover and hairy vetch (such as in this picture) a combination that also naturally suppresses weeds.

crimson_rye_vetch_JMSweb_preview.jpg

Early weed suppression

The vigorous spring growth of fall-seeded hairy vetch out-competes weeds, filling in where germination may be a bit spotty. Residue from killed hairy vetch has a weak allelopathic effect, but it smothers early weeds mostly by shading the soil. Its effectiveness wanes as it decomposes, falling off significantly after about three or four weeks. For optimal weed control with a hairy vetch mulch, select crops that form a quick canopy to compensate for the thinning mulch or use high-residue cultivators made to handle it. Mixing rye and crimson clover with hairy vetch (seeding rates of 30, 10, and 20 lb./A, respectively) extends weed control to five or six weeks, about the same as an all-rye mulch. Even better, the mix provides a legume N boost, protects soil in fall and winter better than legumes, yet avoids the potential crop-suppressing effect of a pure rye mulch on some vegetables.

There other positives about utilizing hairy vetch

Moisture-thrifty

Hairy vetch is more drought tolerant than other vetches. It needs a bit of moisture to establish in fall and to resume vegetative growth in spring, but relatively little over winter when above-ground growth is minimal.

Phosphorus scavenger

Hairy vetch showed higher plant phosphorus (P) concentrations than crimson clover, red clover, or a crimson/ryegrass mixture in a Texas trial. Soil under hairy vetch also had the lowest level of P remaining after growers applied high amounts of poultry litter prior to vegetable crops

Keep in mind that if you can grow clovers that rec clover is far more palatable and attractive to whitetails then hairy vetch so in most cases would be the superior option but hairy vetch is an excellent cover crop where clovers do not do well.

Chickling vetch is very useful for a quick spring planted cover crop and can be planted with oats and either berseem or crimson clover in the spring.

AcGreenfix03.jpg

This is a mix that can follow dead brassicas to provide summer forage until tilled under for the rotation to the rye mix.

chicklingvetch.jpg

A common mistake is to leave your plot bare during the spring and summer months but "dirt plots" don't attract whitetails and cost you money because you could be utilizing a legume cover crop that can fix nitrogen, pull up sub soil nutrients, build up soil organic matter, suppress weeds AND...provide a source of spring and summer forage that helps adapt deer to feeding in one central feeding area....year around.

ChicklingvetchAug2704.jpg

Some possible options listed below utilizing vetch rather then red clover on poor soils

Alice (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28

Vetch seed

Clover seed

Effective Cover Cropping in the Midwest

Hey guys just wondering if any of you got much for snow? We have got pry 4-5 inches and it is still snowing. Just wondering if the rye mix gets covered up how well the deer dig for it? I am adding it to my plot next year just wondering how well it attracts them after snow?

to the people that do this mix to establish clover, for the next year, when do u clip or spray to kill the rye in the spring?

I dont clip it as i,ve noticed that the dying rye helps hold moisture during the heat of summer.The rye doesnt shade much because it is usually breaking down by then.

Hey guys just wondering if any of you got much for snow? We have got pry 4-5 inches and it is still snowing. Just wondering if the rye mix gets covered up how well the deer dig for it? I am adding it to my plot next year just wondering how well it attracts them after snow?

They will dig thru a foot of snow if necessary assuming of course that they have good bedding close by. Pics below show them feeding in perhaps 2-4" of snow.

to the people that do this mix to establish clover, for the next year, when do u clip or spray to kill the rye in the spring?

If the rye was not seeding to heavily (roughly 50#'s per acre) then as mentioned it can be left standing, but also can be clipped or sprayed with clethodim...lot's of options.

January 22nd, 2012

Snow and bitter cold temps have finally arrived here in SE Iowa but whitetails are still finding plenty to eat in the rye combination plantings in our centralized feeding areas.

IMG_7172.jpg

The winter rye is still green as it was this fall and providing attractive high quality forage.

IMG_7174.jpg

They scratch around for what is left of the Austrian Winter Peas and any remaining forage radish tops.

IMG_7171.jpg

The red clover is the unseen component at this point but is waiting to spring to life and feed deer all summer until tilled under for a rotation to brassicas.

IMG_7173.jpg

The deer just keep coming and by providing year around food sources....they don't go anywhere else!

PICT0635.jpg

They are already adapted to coming here and there is nothing that will change their daily plans

PICT0663.jpg

The common mistake is planting a "kill plot" rather then a year around feeding area

b4-4.jpg

Where does one suppose they will go with no feed left?

b3-4.jpg

and then people wonder why they are so hard to pattern each fall

b2-6.jpg

Plant year around food sources in one central feeding area for every 80-120 acres, surround it with premium cover and whitetails will become very...predictable

b1-9.jpg

I am a die hard archery hunter and not much for the firearms seasons but when the sun came out one evening I volunteered to take out a couple does on this farm.

IMG_7197.jpg

Turns out the rye...is to die for!

IMG_7198.jpg

I killed a couple and called it a night

IMG_7199.jpg

Soon the rye will be the place to find sheds too and in the spring...fawns will be born in it and the cycle of adaption and predictable patterns will continue.... ;)

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)

I planted 100# per acre rye with 12# per acre medium red clover, and never mowed or killed the rye and the clover did fantastic. I mowed the plots one time last summer, but by then the rye was fully mature and seeded out. The rye did not overcrowd the clover, even at 100# per acre. The only reason I mowed it was to get more fresh growth out of the clover because it was so tall and thick by mid July. Below I will copy what I posted from Paul's thread on the QDM forum, this was posted there on October 12, 2011.

I planted medium red clover with rye in late August 2010. Below and in the following posts are some pics from this past spring, the first on a frosty April 29th morning when the red clover only had a few inches of growth (although they were heavily browsing it or it would be taller. The next pics are on May 22 and by that time, it has a good amount of growth. The pics in the post after this one, the pics are from June 25, as the rye was seeding out and the clover was very tall and thick. Notice the heavy browsing on the clover. They were feeding heavily on it all spring and summer.

Frosty morning turkey hunt, April 29th
P1000575.jpg

P1000574.jpg

May 22nd
P1000638.jpg

P1000636.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom