Alfalfa

Discussion in 'Dbltree's corner' started by dbltree, May 5, 2006.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    From the other post on perennials to plant - came to mind as I was going over this alfalfa with clethodim/oil in tractor. Snapped quick pic out window. Seeded this spring. It’s very strong healthy stand & the grasses are now bye-bye. I have 2 acres of clover next to this so this fall is gonna be interesting watching the deer preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. turkeyriver

turkeyriver PMA Member

As a former cattle feeder and dairy farmer, I grew alfalfa for most of my life. Starting in the 90's, a little pest called a potato leafhopper showed up. We had to spray insecticide every crop or the little buggers would suck the juice out of the plant, turn it yellow so it quit growing, and if left untreated, kill the alfalfa. I wouldn't dream of trying to keep an alfalfa food plot fresh all season, way too much maintenance. Maybe the bug is no longer around.

Sligh1 likes this.
  4. Sligh1

Ya. Sucks. There’s several varieties out now with Potato Leafhopper resistance. Here’s one Chart. Ignore the seed I circled. [​IMG]

5. mrush

mrush Member

Sligh your alfalfa looks great! I planted Alfalfa for the first time last year and got a successful stand of 20 acres. I’m adding 10 acres to that this year. Last fall I watched every deer walk across the clover, wheat, and anything else around to get to the alfalfa. So I just killed the clover to plant more Alfalfa. It’s a big win for me, I share crop it with a neighbor beef guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sligh1 likes this.
  6. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Prepping for alfalfa planting. Mowed 4' weedy grass couple weeks ago and today burned an excessive amount of thatch/trash. Went very slow backburning with a very good fire break..... soooo dry.

Pulling trees next week and a lil dozer work.

We shall see how it goes![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Couple hundred scrub trees pulled. Getting closer. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. Sligh1

Going into fall with a ‘20 spring planted stand. Maybe a few weeds. I personally could care less as most will be gone & no way the deer could consume the alfalfa that’s there anyways. Few more weeks of putting on some more tender growth & height going into fall. Left clear lines in this field where a massive clover patch is as well. Will be interesting watching this field seeing how much time deer spend in clover vs alfalfa.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brett Morris likes this.