Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa

Re: Alfalfa - new seeding

Can I till my soil and then hand seed before a rain this fall with a clover rye mix?

I am pushing out a fence that will allow a Rye/clover plot in a strip, approx 30 ft wide. On both sides of this strip will be large clover fields.

Will it eventually all be clover if I don't replant the rye next year, as I think this is our goal? Just hoping to add some diversity and a late season draw. Somebody told me the rye would possible spread to the clover but I thought that was 100% false as it should die off without a replanting next year and frequent mowing. Hope I was right in saying that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can I till my soil and then hand seed before a rain this fall with a clover rye mix? </div></div>

Sure can, just make sure you use annual field rye and NOT ryegrass!

Field rye if left standing will fall and some seed may germinate not that's not such a bad thing and your new legume will out compete it at that point anyway.

Update of nannyslayers dekalb alfalfa and red clover seed that I planted in early May.

The red clover really takes off while alfalfa is a little slower getting started. These pics were taken June 28th.

AlfalfaRedClover6-28.jpg

All of it was seeded with forage oats which the deer have fed heavily on but oats did help keep weed growth at bay...for now.

The alfalfa seedlings are smaller where the oats are heavier but more robust and larger where the oats have been grazed or are thinner.

Even the clover seedlings are smaller but they are just waiting for some sunlight when we mow it all eventually.

Alfalfaseedlings.jpg

May plan is to put it up for hay after Aug 1st since CRP has been released for haying and grazing this year. By baling it I won't smother any of it by clipping the oats and weeds but if that wasn't possible I'd want to be clipping the tops off any time now.

Some of the alfalfa I mixed berseem clover rather then red clover. Berseem is a great annual clover option but won't be back next year like the red clover.

BerseemClover-2.jpg

I also mixed berseem with the Falcata alflafa which also seems to be coming along nicely.

FalcataalflafanRC.jpg

The falcata "one cut" alfalfa has some great possibles but since it is not an improved alfalfa such as the dekalb alfalfa, it may succumb to disease and insect problems. So far mine seems to be doing fine but will it last??

FalcataAlfalfa-1.jpg

This pictures shows the "big picture" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

You can see the larger leaves of the red clover, look closely and you'll see the smaller leaves of the alfalfa seedlings, the drak green forage oats and the lighter green foxtail along with a few broadleaf weeds.

OatsFalcatanRC.jpg

At this point one could clip or spray with Select herbicide to kill both the oats and foxtail. Broadleaves could be killed with 2-4DB (NOT 2-4D)but clipping the tops off before they go to seed will usually do the trick.

It's nice to have options because one can do alot with a backpack sprayer and herbicide and at the same time one can control many weeds and annual grasses by clipping. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If I plant alfalfa late summer this year how much growth can I expect?

The purpose of this plot is to try to give them some green into december and alfalfa in my experience will usually provide feed till mid december.

I already have brassicas on the order list and would like something different here in this food plot.

If the alfalfa won't come up very strong I was thinking of drilling some oats in about a month later after i plant alfalfa. Is this a good idea?

Also I have good PH but how much fertlizer do you think this will need or does it? With fertlizer prices being so high I would really like to avoid it where I can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallTines</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I plant alfalfa late summer this year how much growth can I expect?

If the alfalfa won't come up very strong I was thinking of drilling some oats in about a month later after i plant alfalfa. Is this a good idea?

Also I have good PH but how much fertlizer do you think this will need or does it? With fertlizer prices being so high I would really like to avoid it where I can. </div></div>

We normally would clear seed alfalfa in late July which does give you some fall forage. Timing is critical in late summer alfalfa seedings in that the seedlings need time to become established before killing frosts.

In the southern part of Iowa I think you could safely seed alfalfa as late as mid August and then you could include oats to ensure you have a fall food plot.

I'm not sure that drilling oats into the baby alfalfa seedlings would be a good idea, established alfalfa could stand it perhaps but not new seedlings.

It's possible rye could be broadcast ahead of a rain although I have not tried it in alfalfa.

Basically I would consider two options...

Clear seed alfalfa in late July and expect some fall grazing

or

plant with oats in mid August and be assured of feed either way! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Here's a good link on late summer seeding from the University of Wisconsin.

Late Summer seeding of Alfalfa

This link from OSU covers the same questions about August seedings and your fertilizer questions as well.

August seeding Alfalfa

It's pretty tough to second guess soil nutrient requirements without a soil test but it's a safe bet that you'll need some P and K or at the very least a few hundred pounds of 6-24-24 (or some such low N mix)

Lime and phosphorus seem to be the two things sorely needed around here but soils vary widely...all the more reason for a soil test. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

This link also seems to suggest that phosphorus is the most important element (beyond soil PH)

Alfalfa in Missouri

2nd Cutting alfalfa is looking good! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

2ndcuttingalfalfa7-5.jpg

Some areas grass is starting to creep in...

GrassinAlfalfa.jpg

and once it starts, it's like a cancer...it just spreads until it takes over.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Moregrass.jpg

Fortunately we have herbicides like Select and Poast Plus to knock out grasses in legumes, from alfalfa to peas.

I gave some of mine a good does of "what's good for it" the other day /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

About 10 ounces of Select 2-EC

Select2EC.jpg

Please remember to add 1% v/v crop oil to either Select or Poast.

By now most of you have figured out that Select seems to come out on top as far as effectivness compared to Poast. Runs $130 to 180 a gallon but at 6-8 ounces per acre it will last a while.

Split it with a friend or two to lower the expense but be sure to mark your container well /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

This link has more good information on herbicides for alfalfa:
Managing Weeds in Alfalfa

Had some areas of foxtail coming on strong in my new alfalfa seeding so I hit that as well.

Foxtail7-4.jpg

We're planning on baling it but that foxatil is starting to pickup speed and...I haven't seen any "prime first cutting foxtail hay" being sold down at the sale barn lately... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The alfalfa and red clover mix that nannyslayer brought over is looking mighty fine!

AlfalfaRedClover6-28.jpg

No "skinny" deer on my place... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Hmmmm, I might have to come over and harvest one of those doe's thats running around there, just for a taste test /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm, I might have to come over and harvest one of those doe's thats running around there, just for a taste test /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Only one?? C-mon...their like Pringles, you can't eat just one... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

My father-in-law is going to plant RR Alfalfa this fall, I'm looking forward to seeing how it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSQ2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My father-in-law is going to plant RR Alfalfa this fall, I'm looking forward to seeing how it does. </div></div>

Keep us posted on that...they took it off the market for a while as I understand it but apparantly they have approval now.

I understand the seed will be very expensive but certainly easier to control weeds and grasses. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Unless you guys know something I don't, Round up ready alfalfa has not been approved yet. It is in the works to get approved, but as of right now, not approved.

There are a few bags of RR alfalfa still floating around out there, but it is illegal for a distributer to sell it and illegal to plant it. Just a thought to keep in mind before you post pictures on the internet on new seeding RR alfalfa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you guys know something I don't, Round up ready alfalfa has not been approved yet. It is in the works to get approved, but as of right now, not approved.

There are a few bags of RR alfalfa still floating around out there, but it is illegal for a distributer to sell it and illegal to plant it. Just a thought to keep in mind before you post pictures on the internet on new seeding RR alfalfa. </div></div>

Thanks Brian...I didn't think it was approved yet. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Re: Alfalfa - Results of using Select Herbicide

Ok...Alfalfa before using Select

GrassinAlfalfa.jpg

Alfalfa after using Select /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

GraseFreeAlfalfa.jpg

Wow! Clean as a whistle!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I didn't spray the whole field but rather just did kind of an L shaped area so I could see better what happens

This pic is unsprayed in the background and the very front edge of the pic is sprayed.

Unsprayed.jpg

Left side sprayed - right side not

LineintheGrass.jpg

Here you can clearly see where I sprayed the foreground and then swept off to the right.

Grass in all of the background but not a single stem in the front.

AlfalfaafterSelect.jpg

Remember 6-8 ounces of Select and 1% v/v crop oil per acre.

Awesome stuff!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If one was spraying about 5 acres, and using a 15 gallon sprayer..how much water/select should I mix? One plot is alfalfa, the other clover. Thanks!

.4 oz of select per gallon of water or for simple measuring, half oz of select per gallon of water. That would make the mix a little hotter than you need it, but it will get the job done /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

So, the 5 acre field could be done with the 15 gallon tank and about 7-8 oz of select. How do i add the v/v crop oil and how often after i mow should I spray..or..do I need to mow again?

That is a hard one to figure out. If you run over 5 acres with a 15 gallon tank with the mix I said, that will only be putting on 1.5 oz of select per acre, which will more than likely not kill the grasses. I would try to run most of a tank mix over 1 acre if you can. That will give you 7.5 oz per acre, which will be plenty strong.

As for spraying, if your going to mow, make sure that all the grasses are growing good again, then spray. No need to spray more than once a year, unless you have a grass out break later on.

As for the crop oil, just a little will do. In a total tank, you will only need 5/6 oz of crop oil.

We mowed about 1 wk ago so I'll hit those fields this Wednesday. So if the field is 5 acres, add about 7-8 oz of select to the 1 gallon drum and use it all per acre. Do this 5x over the entire field and it should nuke it? Thanks.

Top Bottom