Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mock rub/scrape trees

Please don't apologize for being pic heavy. This is a great thread! For those of us who have small farms and few bucks to choose from, it's a pleasure to see.

I have been out almost every afternoon with my son Colton trying to get him a shot with his bow on the Hook buck he has been after. As I have mentioned before this is his 3rd bowseason trying to get him as his 1st P&Y buck. Well we got the shot tuesday afternoon at 20 yards. He was feeding on brassicas clueless. We were in a boxblind and he practices that shot everyday before we leave. That buck, just like he did twice in 2009, at the shot, did this matrix/ninja move and dropped all the way to the ground and the arrow went right across his back. Looking at the video frame by frame it is unreal. We looked back at the video from 2009, same thing. Even though he is always relaxed and feeding he still drops all the way to the ground everytime. The only thing I can think is that the shot is alot louder from the boxblind. Gonna have to aim for the bottom of the heart next time. I asked him if he wants me to put him on a different buck and he says, oh hell no. Poor kid, in Wyoming last month we did a stalk on a big antelope and that sucker whirled around and deflected the arrow with his horn. It went 40 feet straight up and back down sticking in the ground.To add insult to injury Hook is at the watertank eating brassicas and clover by the house everynight after dark. Two hours after shooting at him he was at the tank, damn near must have followed us home.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Starting to get alot more bucks checking the trees during daylight lately.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Gonna have to give this stud another year.

picture.php

picture.php

This dummy was stuck for several pictures.

picture.php

Since Corben got his great buck, he said it was ok for me to hunt the old one-eyed buck. Right now he is totally nocturnal, shy and living in a cornfield but that should change soon.

picture.php

picture.php

In another week or so the trees wont get alot of attention during the peak breeding phase, but after lockdown they will get hit real hard thru the rest of the season. Last december in one cornfield every buck that came out would go straight to the tree mark it, then check does.

Wish us luck, were hitting it hard this weekend.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Joe pictures look great!! Old one eye is still a night owl kind of like Splitter, we finished combining corn tonight a big 8 and a 10 came out on the last 8 rows chasing a doe. Waiting to see what else has been chased out of the corn.
Good luck on getting that old giant.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
The last 2 days I was thinking the bucks were locking down for a few days with does, but they were running everywhere today. I did not hunt, but right after the boys left for school Hook and another buck we call A--hole was 130 yards from the house in the brassicas by the auto water tank, chaseing like mad untill 9:00. Then from 4:00 this afternoon on they were back along with 3 other mature bucks. One of the does around my house was hot and everyone was after her. Three does were hiding behind my house all day.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

They are hitting the trees like crazy now but just real quick then back to bussiness. I hunted with Colton last weekend for Hook on a foodplot 1/2 mile from the house. Hook came out at 60 yards, was coming quick, 50,40 30 then a buck we now call A--hole{A-H-} from now on, came out 15 yards from the blind and pushed Hook off the field, that old guy is a lover not a fighter. This buck is just a 4 year old probably but real aggressive and if Colton gets a chance, he is gonna get shot this weekend. The first buck is A-H- then Hook and then another super buck I have high hopes for next year. A-H, I am pretty sure is responsible for breaking his matching daggers off, that were longer than his brows growing off his bases going forward and up. Trouble making bucks like him need to go, even if he may be better next year.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Today was definately the most buck activity I have seen yet, even though I never went hunting. I am guessing they will be locked down for a few days soon but next week will be the time I like best.

The brows on that last buck are wicked long Joe!! Pictures are great.
I pulled a camera off my mock rub about a month ago this weekend I am going to get a camera on it again. I have only hunted over that plot twice this year in early October hopefully my mock rub is still standing.

Bill, put a new one in. They go nuts on a fresh one when it just pops up in a foodplot overnight. After all the activity tonight, when they were out of sight I had to run out and pull the card.

Sorry it's been awhile since I updated this thread. I have been hunting this buck almost everyday since he showed up on one of my rub trees, that all the bucks are useing as a sign post. No history, just one of those surprises that turn your season around and focus you to keep at it. The way his tines tip in, its hard to get a picture that does him justice. I have some great video that really shows what a fully mature brute he is. If it was not for the rub trees I would not even know he was around to hunt.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I had him at 50 yards Dec. 1st while bowhunting, but he took the wrong trail and that was that, got some great video though. Dec. 6th, 1st shotgun we had 5 inches of snow and was cold. Got to my blind clean at 3:15, peeked out the window and saw the old one-eyed buck 60 yards away and the really wide 8, pictured before. I was thinking about shooting the one-eyed buck with the mloader, when this buck popped out on a scrape 120 yards away. By the time I got the camera on him and ready, he was around 135 yards. As I was squeezing the trigger he took a step and I think I tried to react to it, but flubbed the shot. He looked hit, but I only had some small spots of blood to follow, but lost it after 300 yards. I looked for several days and was hopeing it was only a graze. Well last week he showed back up on a pair of mock rub trees and really tore them up. Apparently I grazed his briskett and opposite armpit/elbow area. He has a limp, but sure seems in good shape as he tore into the trees for 15 minutes. With 9 days left and only a bowtag its gonna be a challenge to close the deal.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I think if I am lucky enough to get my hands on those antlers, attached to the deer or not, he is gonna score more than the pics show. What do you guys think he is gonna gross? It does'nt really matter, he is just a cool looking buck, and driveing me crazy.

My trees are still getting alot of attention as the bucks come and go from the feeding areas. Usually the first thing the bucks are doing when hitting the field is go check the tree, to see who has been there.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Colton is trying to shoot this forked g-2 8 point with his bow, now that
Hook has fallen off the map. He has been hitting a cornfield that we just put up a new blind on, almost every evening before dark. My buck is almost nocturnal in this weather and with the injury, but hopefully the next 2 cold nights will make him feed harder.Wish us luck, the next 9 days are gonna be fun.

Awesome pictures and deer! I would guess the one your asking to be about 175, like you said its tough to tell with his tines slanting inwards.

Very nice pictures! Good luck getting that giant you're chasing. Thanks for sharing these pics, I've enjoyed following along.

Top Bottom