Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

I've been planting acorns for 2 weeks now. Put in about 130 gallons so far. Most have been disced in while other places were hand planted. Hand planted 5 gallons tonight in fact. That is a huge bur oak acorn in your pic. I have seen tremendous bur and white acorn production around here. I need to quit gathering and planting to focus on other things but it is hard to ignore all the mast laying around this year!

I have about a pound of dco acorns I bought from Troy Pabst out of Nebraska - thanks Troy!

Is it best to get these in the ground this fall, like now? What has been the best results for everyone that’s done this? I have them sitting in the fridge now, but would rather plant them now than start them and then plant in spring. Do you put tubes up right away over top of the acorn, or wait til they sprout?

I have about a pound of dco acorns I bought from Troy Pabst out of Nebraska - thanks Troy!

Is it best to get these in the ground this fall, like now? What has been the best results for everyone that’s done this? I have them sitting in the fridge now, but would rather plant them now than start them and then plant in spring. Do you put tubes up right away over top of the acorn, or wait til they sprout?

DCO’s don’t store well in the fridge in my experience like other acorns do. I fall plant them with a tree tube seated down into the ground and have the area around the tubes prepped with glyphosate. The rodents don’t like to cross bare ground to build a home in the tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCO’s don’t store well in the fridge in my experience like other acorns do. I fall plant them with a tree tube seated down into the ground and have the area around the tubes prepped with glyphosate. The rodents don’t like to cross bare ground to build a home in the tubes.

How deep you seeding acorn?

Thanks for the reply. Certain kind of tree tubes better than others? I’ll probably just stake them with t posts or rebar since we have a bunch lying around. I probably won’t prep the area with gly but I’ll whack it down with a brush trimmer

Thanks for the reply. Certain kind of tree tubes better than others? I’ll probably just stake them with t posts or rebar since we have a bunch lying around. I probably won’t prep the area with gly but I’ll whack it down with a brush trimmer

There’s a guy in IA (Mike, forgot last name) that sells tubes a lot of people like.

I like the protex tubes; they’re more work than the others to get setup, tho. I don’t like their tab system to install the tubes and drill holes to use zip ties instead and make a larger tube.

Tree Pro makes good tubes that I’ve used for years also.

Going to try a different method with these Prinoides.

This is a cattle mineral tub that has a hole drilled 2” from the bottom for drainage. The soil is down 6-8” from the top so fuzzy nuts can’t reach in.

e4519f34f99fe9c21148e5260e092c0d.jpg

It worked well on these hybrid Ozark Chinquapins I planted this past spring. I pulled the screen off in August.

80ab4425a526970819908bdefadc668f.jpg

I have a 5 gallon bucket full of swamp white acorns my dad collected from the trees in his yard. I put some in pots today, and have a bunch of tree tubes on the way for the rest. I've planted and fenced a few trees here and there, but this is my 1st attempt at a large scale project starting from seed.

Wife just loves this time of year!!! I’m loaded with DCO’s, regular chinkapins, pear seed as we eat it, 15/16th chestnut, Chinese & ……. These acorns! I had to scan the tree for any starting to brown. I would probably guess peak drop day will be late October if I guessed. (Which I’m guesstimating is a solid month later than most other raining oaks).
A few dropped & deer had them clean. All ready for storage/“winter”. I do direct seed some now but I’m ok with this as it’s “time to hunt” soon. See last pic- dial. It’s at about 34 degrees.
This one tree has to be in the hundreds of lbs of acorns if guessing. Pic from before of acorns below as well.

BF960A95-B82B-4A64-ADD7-3D0642748B2A.jpeg
5372764E-4C6A-4BE4-A7B1-134576B32724.jpeg
CEBB87DE-F01F-4F4B-9B2F-C37D0803EFED.jpeg
D9FCFECE-8076-4C34-BFBE-D467F57444B1.jpeg
9517368C-201C-4A1B-950D-2F013A981568.jpeg
109AA550-E629-45A7-A70A-EF614C97B214.jpeg

Going to try a different method with these Prinoides.

This is a cattle mineral tub that has a hole drilled 2” from the bottom for drainage. The soil is down 6-8” from the top so fuzzy nuts can’t reach in.

e4519f34f99fe9c21148e5260e092c0d.jpg

It worked well on these hybrid Ozark Chinquapins I planted this past spring. I pulled the screen off in August.

80ab4425a526970819908bdefadc668f.jpg

What type of soil or what would composition of it be?

Question for the oak experts. I have gathered up quite a few white oak acorns that had just started to push out a taproot and planted them in containers containing moist potting soil. The roots are continuing to grow but none of them have sent up a sprout yet. I'm wondering what might be my best option to overwinter them? Can I just bury the containers in the ground and let the plants harden off and then plant in spring (is that possible if no sprout is present)? I know at some point (or now) that tap root is going to exceed the depth of the container they are in. These were leftovers that I didn't direct seed, I dumped them out and they all started growing so I thought I should attempt to do something with them.

I have some dco acorns I didn’t get in the ground last fall. Did about 50 with tree tubes, have about 50 remaining. They’re stored in a zip lock in the fridge right now. What’s my best option with these? Can I plant them in a 18 cell rootmaker now and transfer outside this spring? Or do I have to wait til fall?

Also what’s best soil to use for rootmaker?

Thanks

Thoughts on cone tainers vs rootmakers? Seems like the cones would create a better tap root and the root makers maybe a shallower thicker root system. Wondering what those think that tried them both for chestnut and oak

Chinese chestnut, 15/16ths American chestnut, persimmon, dwarf chinkapin oak & a hybrid oak with monstrous acorns I stored. This is my simple way of keeping squirrels, chipmunks & coons out. I lost that battle before & this hopefully solves it. Almost done- just need to seal up the top.
Cheap & easy & way more than any “normal” person needs ;).
416ABC96-95C3-441C-971D-462880B52288.jpeg
D4AAB933-D168-4250-A22C-40F52C8D59E3.jpeg
C0A2AADE-A1F3-4798-9811-F43086657993.jpeg

Thoughts on cone tainers vs rootmakers? Seems like the cones would create a better tap root and the root makers maybe a shallower thicker root system. Wondering what those think that tried them both for chestnut and oak
Sorry on delay. Better & way to go vs normal trays/pots. No doubt!!!

Sorry on delay. Better & way to go vs normal trays/pots. No doubt!!!
Thoughts on cone-tainers (not just regular containers, the narrow tubes w/ holes on the bottom) vs rootmakers? Seems like root makers are more popular on IW, but you see a lot of the cone-tainers which seem appealing to fit more trees in smaller space and seem like they'd make a good tap root. Although the rootmakers seem like they create a more dense but shallower root system. That is all just thoughts as I'm only trying rootmakers for the 1st time now.

Top Bottom