Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Wanted to post a few new things I tried this spring. I used root makers last year for chestnuts and acorns, I didn't love them but was my first year trying the seed to tree, so pry made some errors. I wanted more of a tap root and to fit more trees in less space so tried the cone-tainers this year and was happy. I used these for the nuts I put in the fridge over winter. I also did rows of acorns and chestnuts in the garden buried a few inches. I put half inch wire mesh over them so the critters didn't dig them up. As soon as I seen shoots coming up this spring, I pulled the wire mesh. The indoor trees obviously got a head start on growth but they are now close to equal. Having them in the ground is a lot less maintenance in how finicky they can be watering in pots. Con is you don't get the "root training". Haven't been doing this long enough to know that difference but I'll pry do the ground method going forward-no fridge space, less watering, dont have to worry about transplanting that year if no time (cant carry thru winter in pots). I'd also do some cardboard with mulch or compost between tree rows for better weed control. Note this is in my garden in town, also have 4 ft half inch fence around them, no issues with critters to date. My plan is to pull them in the spring for transplanting.
0c8383eba5e8df0153f30e1dd53d89dd.jpg
d3c815c2987fad2f02c914e6b9da6c78.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Heavy crop of swamp white oak this year. Although this Quercus Bicolor looks a bit different than most.

b0f28d736f867533170e3580b752f1f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked my usual trees on the local college campus. Where I formally see 100’s is SWO acorns I found 2…

I checked my usual trees on the local college campus. Where I formally see 100’s is SWO acorns I found 2…

Very normal. Whites are bi or tri annual commonly & different weather (frosts, drought, etc) can also impact this. I looked at a massive area of white oaks on me the other day- all were loaded last year. No acorns this year. Very normal.

Acorns are loaded in Minnesota. I looked at an 80 today and I don’t know how the critters could even eat them all ? I grabbed a bunch .

BC7BEAEC-9089-413C-8659-9094798D83AB.jpeg

Very normal. Whites are bi or tri annual commonly & different weather (frosts, drought, etc) can also impact this. I looked at a massive area of white oaks on me the other day- all were loaded last year. No acorns this year. Very normal.

I haven't found any white oak (quercus alba) to have any acorns this year on my place, either.

Have any of you done the Bill Winke method of disking in direct seeded acorns? Was thinking about giving that a try in a 1.5 acre patch this fall. Bill seems to have great success with it.

Have any of you done the Bill Winke method of disking in direct seeded acorns? Was thinking about giving that a try in a 1.5 acre patch this fall. Bill seems to have great success with it.
How big of an area? There’s better ways of doing it. It leaves a lot of problems with weeds & deer pressure. Depends on size of area u wanting to do…. Multiple other options that will yield better results IMO.

On my farm i am planning on small 1.5ac patch this fall, it is a secluded field that i want to turn into bedding/browse. Have another family farm (pasture that i have posted previously) that is blank slate and want to do diverse pockets of variety of habitats. Planning natives, wildflowers, tree crp program, etc. The tree crp will be rows of bare root seedlings and I was entertaining a couple 5-8 acre patches of direct acorn seeding to mix things up.

Top Bottom