• Dear User,

We had issues in getting your old password work with the new version of the software, henceforth kindly Reset Your Password here

You won't be able to login with your old password

If you do not receive the Password reset request within a few minutes, please check your Junk / Spam E-mail folder just in case the email got delivered there instead of your inbox. If so, select Not Junk, which will allow future messages to get through.

If you still need assistance, email [email protected]

We appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter.

Chestnuts

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
10% die off, or a better way to look at it.... 90% survival - is phenomenal!!! That’s a fantastic looking tree & job there- Well done!!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Load #2 farm bound. Chestnut, persimmon, crabapple, pear, dco, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatboy

My buddy has harvested over 500 pounds off his trees so far. Its a fight to get them before the deer do.

letemgrow

PMA Member
ACCF American Chestnut going strong.

Healing over from a severe buck rub a few years ago.

Last year’s American Chestnut planting intermixed with Ozark Chinquapins planted this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habitat1

Just getting into the avid habitat work with my new land. I've always had a strong interest in it, but now that I have a piece of ground to do my own thing, it consumes my mind. Trying to catch up on decades of forum postings here over this crappy winter to educate myself and cut out years of mistakes learning from others - this is a great resource! I've spent hours reading up on all the great info in the doubletree corner, to try avoiding asking a question someone has asked already. Among a hundred other wildlife projects I want to do, I'm really interested in trying to get chestnuts going. I have a handful of late maturing varieties planted from Morse last fall, but that's getting expensive. I want to try the "seed to tree" method to cheapen it up and I love doing things myself.

A couple questions:
For my trees planted already, has anyone found a paint combination (even read about pepper mixture with paint) or other method to keep varmints from killing tubed trees? Or is keeping bare ground the best method.

Also, I've seen some videos of starting seeds in the fridge to stratify them. Looks like I missed the boat at this point of the year for that as it looks like I should have gotten fresh seed in October to start that process. Is the fridge process the best way to start the seed to tree chestnut process? I've also read some about people putting the tree tube a couple inches in the ground (critter protection) and planting the seeds right at the desired tree planting site - seems like there could be less repotting/transplanting work with this method, but maybe just risking dud plantings where nothing grows being the con to that.

Lucky 13

Habitat1

I have only been doing chestnuts for a couple years but maybe I can help with your questions.

To keep critters away, I just mowed about 3-4 feet around each tree. I also have a mulch ring around each tree with the mulch piled about 3" up the side of the tube. So far that has kept the field mice/voles from chewing on the trees.

Hardest thing about stratifying nuts was my wife being mad about the space I took up in her fridge.. last year I only had maybe 10 out of 500 nuts not germinate. This year looks to be good as well. It is very easy to do and fun to watch them progress from nut to tree. Around Mid May I take the germinated nuts and plant them in treepots and keep them protected from coons and squirrels. They stay in the pots until they are about 1-2' tall then I transplanted them to their final location. In addition to tree tubes, I also place a 5' welded wire fence around each tree. Before I did this, the bucks would beat up the tree tubes like they were mad as hell.

Like I say, I am new to this and learning more about tree planting all the time. The other guys on this thread are way more experienced and will be a great reference.

Top Bottom