Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Have been waiting patiently for my last mowing of clover for the season..have been holding off with this dry weather. I like to clip tops towards the end of August so growth is lush & tender by the October opener. It's a 3 acre plot that has done great even despite the dry spells this summer but I'm hoping for some advice..would you mow this in the next few days? There is actually some soil moisture on the surface if I dig down below the clover thatch so I am hoping I wouldn't be making a mistake given the cooler weather moving forward as well. I will be unable to mow until 9/18 if I don't mow tomorrow or Friday of this week. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-0948.JPG
    IMG-0948.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG-0949.JPG
    IMG-0949.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG-0947.jpg
    IMG-0947.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 83
Have been waiting patiently for my last mowing of clover for the season..have been holding off with this dry weather. I like to clip tops towards the end of August so growth is lush & tender by the October opener. It's a 3 acre plot that has done great even despite the dry spells this summer but I'm hoping for some advice..would you mow this in the next few days? There is actually some soil moisture on the surface if I dig down below the clover thatch so I am hoping I wouldn't be making a mistake given the cooler weather moving forward as well. I will be unable to mow until 9/18 if I don't mow tomorrow or Friday of this week. Thanks
I could go either way on this one. If & when looks extremely likely to get good rain- barely take off the tops. If things continue to be stay dry- I’d personally let it be for the year.

Side note: I was looking at some clover yesterday that I didn’t mow…. It did get mowed- by the deer. They really did do the job of a mower. In cases like that - I kinda think the deer do the work for me. ;).

This is a 2nd year ladino clover plot that looked great a month ago. It completely cooked in the dry heat this last month. I'm not sure if there's enough time left this year to bounce back if the rains come?
IMG_20230907_064900.jpg

This is a 2nd year ladino clover plot that looked great a month ago. It completely cooked in the dry heat this last month. I'm not sure if there's enough time left this year to bounce back if the rains come? View attachment 125902

Had a similar result this year on a 2nd year ladino plot. Ended up tilling and reseeding with oats / rye / clovers. Re-establishing clover stand with a variety to hopefully help survive summer. This area had been farmed by a fly by night type farmer for years, soil all cracking throughout the plot with the drout. I need to build soil bad there!

This is a 2nd year ladino clover plot that looked great a month ago. It completely cooked in the dry heat this last month. I'm not sure if there's enough time left this year to bounce back if the rains come? View attachment 125902
I had alot of success broadcasting radishes into clover like that last year. Might want to give it a shot if any rain coming.

This a clover seeding that was frost seeded this past winter. I clipped the weeds once earlier but it's time to do it again. A little grass is coming up also but I'm hoping to wait until next spring to hit the grass with Select Max. Select vs Poast Plus

This plot had been in brome sod, so I mowed it August, waited for it to greenup and sprayed it with 2 quarts of Roundup Max in September.

This left little surface residue and no grass competition for the new frost seeding.

PH was fine and I put on #300 of 6-24-24 fertilizer.

Normal seeding rates for white clover are roughly 4#'s per acre and 8-12#'s for red clover but when frost seeding it doesn't hurt to up the rate to 6-8#'s and 10-15#. Frost seeding is a very effective, easy and economical method of establishing clovers especially in areas where tillage is not possible.

In most cases we will be frost seeding in Feb./March when there is little or no snow cover and the ground is freezing at night, thawing during the day.

Use a small hand seeder or calibrated ATV spreader or even a drill and sow seed in early morning when ground is frozen.

Be aware however that some clovers such as annual Berseem Clover cannot be frost seeded!! I would also like to pointout that many commercial "brand" mixes such as WI's Imperial Clover contain as much as 30% berseem...so frost seeding these mixes means you will be throwing away (literally) a third on the money you spent on seed!!

A much better option is to buy and plant the specific seeds you will need in your situation.

I have found Welter Seed to be an excellent source for "seeds by the pound". They will gladly ship you 5#'sor 500 and mine often arrives the next day!

Alice White Clover is one of the finest, most drought resistant white clovers for midwest and northern areas that is available and will allow you to plant an acre of premium white clover for 20 bucks!

FrostseededcloverinJune.jpg

We will try to cover every concievable aspect of planting and maintaining clover food plots in this thread as we go along.

Frost seeding, spring seeding, summer and very early fall seedings. We'll cover using herbicides, when and when not to clip, what types, varieties and brands of clover to plant and hopefully answer every imaginable question at the same time.
I was thinking about frost seeding some WI clover over this patch. The deer are rooting it up like hogs for the purple tops.
TimberspiritBrassicapic.jpg
Has anyone frost seeded the frosty bermeem clover ? Any luck doing so ?

Has anyone frost seeded the frosty bermeem clover ? Any luck doing so ?
I seeded some in march. Before I had thought it was meant for frost seeding. & it might do ok. I think mine did ok. After reading up- I don’t think it’s meant for frost seeding. It’s meant to be seeded like alfalfa for example… after the bad frosts. It’s simply more tolerant later in season - colder temps. Stays green later.
If do it… late march would be best. Otherwise a regular seeding in mid April.

I seeded some in march. Before I had thought it was meant for frost seeding. & it might do ok. I think mine did ok. After reading up- I don’t think it’s meant for frost seeding. It’s meant to be seeded like alfalfa for example… after the bad frosts. It’s simply more tolerant later in season - colder temps. Stays green later.
Thought I read frosty was the only bermeem that could be frost seeded ?

Thought I read frosty was the only bermeem that could be frost seeded ?
I’ve read mixed. I actually just found this. So- in this case, appears like it’s just fine…. Hmmmm…. I’d say go for it based on this…..

I’ve read mixed. I actually just found this. So- in this case, appears like it’s just fine…. Hmmmm…. I’d say go for it based on this…..
Ya probably better to drill it in but I will try and frost seed it expensive experiment!!!!!

This a clover seeding that was frost seeded this past winter. I clipped the weeds once earlier but it's time to do it again. A little grass is coming up also but I'm hoping to wait until next spring to hit the grass with Select Max. Select vs Poast Plus

This plot had been in brome sod, so I mowed it August, waited for it to greenup and sprayed it with 2 quarts of Roundup Max in September.

This left little surface residue and no grass competition for the new frost seeding.

PH was fine and I put on #300 of 6-24-24 fertilizer.

Normal seeding rates for white clover are roughly 4#'s per acre and 8-12#'s for red clover but when frost seeding it doesn't hurt to up the rate to 6-8#'s and 10-15#. Frost seeding is a very effective, easy and economical method of establishing clovers especially in areas where tillage is not possible.

In most cases we will be frost seeding in Feb./March when there is little or no snow cover and the ground is freezing at night, thawing during the day.

Use a small hand seeder or calibrated ATV spreader or even a drill and sow seed in early morning when ground is frozen.

Be aware however that some clovers such as annual Berseem Clover cannot be frost seeded!! I would also like to pointout that many commercial "brand" mixes such as WI's Imperial Clover contain as much as 30% berseem...so frost seeding these mixes means you will be throwing away (literally) a third on the money you spent on seed!!

A much better option is to buy and plant the specific seeds you will need in your situation.

I have found Welter Seed to be an excellent source for "seeds by the pound". They will gladly ship you 5#'sor 500 and mine often arrives the next day!

Alice White Clover is one of the finest, most drought resistant white clovers for midwest and northern areas that is available and will allow you to plant an acre of premium white clover for 20 bucks!

FrostseededcloverinJune.jpg

We will try to cover every concievable aspect of planting and maintaining clover food plots in this thread as we go along.

Frost seeding, spring seeding, summer and very early fall seedings. We'll cover using herbicides, when and when not to clip, what types, varieties and brands of clover to plant and hopefully answer every imaginable question at the same time.
Anyone use whitetail insitute products? And what work best for you

Anyone use whitetail insitute products? And what work best for you
I used whitetail extreme for my first seeded food plot into a killed off a former brome field. It's use was incredible for 3 years. I bought it because it had been marked down to a crazy low price to dump it. Deer use was incredible, however during this I time fell into this addiction of habitat management/deer management. During this education/knowledge seeking time(still going on) I learned via this forum and a few others that it's possible to get the same results from non buck on bag products and save money to put into other aspects of habitat.

If the price for this product was comparable to what I can get other comparable green spring through fall plots, I would still be using it. The deer flocked to it but they also flock to the clover, alfalfa, and chicory blends I plant now just as much.

I used whitetail extreme for my first seeded food plot into a killed off a former brome field. It's use was incredible for 3 years. I bought it because it had been marked down to a crazy low price to dump it. Deer use was incredible, however during this I time fell into this addiction of habitat management/deer management. During this education/knowledge seeking time(still going on) I learned via this forum and a few others that it's possible to get the same results from non buck on bag products and save money to put into other aspects of habitat.

If the price for this product was comparable to what I can get other comparable green spring through fall plots, I would still be using it. The deer flocked to it but they also flock to the clover, alfalfa, and chicory blends I plant now just as much.
Ok thanks I here fusion is a very good WT product also. I may try their products once I do most of the time use co-op products and mix my own .

Top Bottom