Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Home Farm Projects Thread

DWGH, what grapple did you buy? I am looking for one and not sure what to get. My tractor is similar to yours, I have a 65hp LS tractor, yours is a New Holland which I believe are made by LS in this series. I don't want to buy something so light that I tear it up, but also no sense in buying something so heavy duty that it weighs 1,000 pounds and the loader only picks up about 2,000#.

DWGH, what grapple did you buy? I am looking for one and not sure what to get. My tractor is similar to yours, I have a 65hp LS tractor, yours is a New Holland which I believe are made by LS in this series. I don't want to buy something so light that I tear it up, but also no sense in buying something so heavy duty that it weighs 1,000 pounds and the loader only picks up about 2,000#.
Not DWGH, but I bought a grapple bucket last year that I have only used a couple of times yet, but I thought I would give you that info too as you consider your options. Mine is 72" wide, rated for 2000# at height and 2500# at the ground level. It is my understanding that I can "cheat" that up a little with more rear ballast.

I have an LS 40hp. Although still relatively unused, it is my sense that this will be heavy duty enough for my needs.

I bought the 78" and an 84". My buddy with 100 kp kubota skidsteer took the 84" off my hands as it was a bit much.
The folks at Jenkins are very knowledgeable, I would give them a call and see which one will work best on your loader. I also have a couple buddues with grapples and they said hands down get the Jenkins Iron over other models. They made down to a 62" that only weighs 914#.
The loader on my tractor is a beast for my size tractor. Its a bushhog 4050 I believe. Hope that helps.

Daver and DWGH, thank you both for your reply. I need to take my tractor in to have the loader plumbed for the third valve. Seems like I rarely have my bucket on and always the forks for moving logs, etc that i am moving. A grapple would be a perfect addition. I already bought a tree puller as i have some limited access to a skidsteer (but dont own one). I am torn on how heavy duty i should buy, i dont want to tear up a grapple by buying one too light, but also dont want to get a grapple that is extremely heavy duty and then tear up my tractor/loader. I will give jenkins a call to get their advice. Thanks again

Daver and DWGH, thank you both for your reply. I need to take my tractor in to have the loader plumbed for the third valve. Seems like I rarely have my bucket on and always the forks for moving logs, etc that i am moving. A grapple would be a perfect addition. I already bought a tree puller as i have some limited access to a skidsteer (but dont own one). I am torn on how heavy duty i should buy, i dont want to tear up a grapple by buying one too light, but also dont want to get a grapple that is extremely heavy duty and then tear up my tractor/loader. I will give jenkins a call to get their advice. Thanks again
You don’t necessarily have to add another valve (about $1,200 at local shop). I opted to run hose to one of my rear remotes and sleeve the lines to protect the entire hose. That was just shy of $500.

Took a day to set tower posts and plant mescanthis screens. My buddy was renting tree planter to i took advantage of him having it and helped him plant on some of his clients farms. Planted about 2,000 rhizomes on my place. I’m pretty excited to see all this taking shape. Progress….

Still grinDnnnnn
Fam going to visit wife gMa in AZ this week so hopefully get lots done even tho weather looking grim.
Finished backfilling posts, blazed access trail to big cedar lodge and chipping away at trump wall (blocking trails on fencerow to big foodplot). See confused deer trying to get to his trail to thicket.
E093656F-263A-43CC-85A6-F8E1AC16B5B4.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• E0078D57-4F42-4C20-9116-359495784312.jpeg
    E0078D57-4F42-4C20-9116-359495784312.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 156
Got some major work done yesterday and Sunday. Borrowed buddy's reach forklift to get new blind on the platform.
Took yesterday off work and jammed out 11-12 hours on chainsaw and tractor skidding out a total of 18 big cedars for posts for the house, only need 6 more. I will still need to do some limbing on these but the tops will get stuffed in the fencerow to funnel deer through the gap next to the new blind.

Got most of my electric fence up on the 2 soybean plots at the farm. Always seems like i have few people ask how i do the fence setup every year so shot a quick video of how i do it.
also mixed up a tank of burndown mix+ atrazine for a new native planting on 4-5 acre section.

Top Bottom