Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Improving Website??? - Ideas, input, suggestions.....

Once his account is updated to premium by paying the $400, I would expect all the images that are not currently showing to reappear. That's the whole point of the fee, for third party hosting. But once the year expires they could be gone again. I guess you'd literally buy yourself a year to get them downloaded and backed up to another place. Then the hard part begins of putting them where they belong.

It may be easier to raise $400 per year in dbltrees honor to pay the Photobucket fee than it would be to download and replace all the photos.

Yes, they'd all show up. Then a guy could right click, save as, then reload them into each thread as well as upload somewhere else AND give the password info in case it happened again. This is something we'd need to get several volunteers in order before we paid. That way it all gets done asap. Probably wait till after season is over?

Yes, they'd all show up. Then a guy could right click, save as, then reload them into each thread as well as upload somewhere else AND give the password info in case it happened again. This is something we'd need to get several volunteers in order before we paid. That way it all gets done asap. Probably wait till after season is over?

Just my opinion, but I think the threads could be cleaned up, using all the good info when pics recovered and saved. The same questions get asked multiple times in same thread, lots of redundant data, etc. I think they could be cleaned up, consolidated, and made much more useful. Of course all of the good info would be copy and pasted over.

Just my opinion, but I think the threads could be cleaned up, using all the good info when pics recovered and saved. The same questions get asked multiple times in same thread, lots of redundant data, etc. I think they could be cleaned up, consolidated, and made much more useful. Of course all of the good info would be copy and pasted over.

I totally agree, but again not something I want to be responsible for. Needs to be someone who really knows their Management and someone that can be bumped to moderator and moderate the crap out of all those threads. Currently we are not looking to add anyone until we get all the proper ducks in a row. Skip and I have been talking behind the scenes, hopefully something is going to happen.

I totally agree, but again not something I want to be responsible for. Needs to be someone who really knows their Management and someone that can be bumped to moderator and moderate the crap out of all those threads. Currently we are not looking to add anyone until we get all the proper ducks in a row. Skip and I have been talking behind the scenes, hopefully something is going to happen.
Skip and Muddy putting their heads together...now that's scary

Possibly a DIY section? Something like a place where folks who build their own stands, steps, cabins, water holes, etc...There is already some of that stuff on here but maybe have a spot for it all. And a recipe/cooking section.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
so far....
1) Weather reporting part of site.
2) Change direction where we harder on guys just out to be d-bags. POSITIVE.
3) Actions to highlight and advance Dbltree threads
4) Easier way to post pictures
5) More active on spam elimination
6) Arguing and debate is NO PROBLEM, I think we all agree!! ;) Belittling and personal attacks on others - more action, calling out, encouragement, rules - WHATEVER to lower that. We need to do this in a way that doesn't discourage from free and passionate debate. Personally, I don't care if 2 guys get into it, there just needs to be a point where we know "MEN", ok, it's time to drop this and move on. More positive than negative OVERALL on the website, by far. Moderator support possible on this. Guys taking into own hands be better - being called out by Men when Men are not acting like Men (or Women).
7) More NICHE (one of my favorite words in English language) reasons for folks to visit site: hard core knowledge, habitat advice that's top tier, passion for Iowa found no where else, etc, etc. More ideas need to be implemented. Niche: Dbltree, unique things like Ishi's food, etc, etc.
8) things to make safe environment to post pics. Let's say deer for example. 2 examples of "safe".... 1) location, who posts them, whatever. 2) not getting negative comments on the pictures.
9) Get rid of adbot stuff, etc.
10) Banning SLIGH1 (again, just a total loser, D-bag, tool, you name it, he's gotta go!!!!)
11) Outreach. My EXAMPLE is getting booth back at Classic. One of million ideas.

OK GUYS, that's less than 24 hours.... Keep it coming.

Ok guys.... Update....
1) Got anonymous pics going, will try and keep them flowing.
2) I think IW will have a spot at the Classic this spring. Fairly Likely. That's really when some major turn arounds will happen as well, IMO.
3) Getting Dbltree pics back up..... have a few guys that will split the cost, I'll be in contact with Paul's son, Jesse on getting that done and up to speed.
4) Anything that makes the site unique. The people are the core of that. Knowledge, habitat, knowledge on big bucks, cooking, apps, technology, WHATEVER. ANYTHING NICHE - IW needs to be destination.
5) Continuing from above, IW will continue to be a voice of protection to the state of Iowa and its resource. IW to continue to be a Hard core buck hunter destination. New blood, new members, new perspectives. Bringing in and doing a variety of things to encourage the new generation of hunters that are starting their outdoor journey.
6) Continued debate on any issue. Great!! Round-house kick to the face when people go "too far" & get too personal or nasty about it though - grown men shouldn't need spankings ;). Healthy, passionate, logical & thought out debate - is fine & fantastic, IMO.
6) Hunting season we're all busy but at a minimum, as expected, everyone will be stoked to see some big old bruisers that some lucky guys will get a crack at. Good luck!!!

More to come and feel free to continue to chime in. Those are the things it’s sounded like need to happen and a lot of motivated folks out there + great members (YOU) that do this daily. Thank you!!.

Last edited:
I'm not going to sugar coat things so please don't take offense.

This forum had been dying for a long time. This thread is evidence that people see that. The issue is traffic, there just aren't enough new and interesting postings to make the site worthwhile anymore. I've been around here a long time and seen the "good old days" but haven't really been on here much for several months. When you come on and there have only been a handful of threads started in a weeks time you move on to other options.

I know AT gets a bad rap and there are people with issues on there but it does get a lot of traffic and there is almost always something interesting going on.

So enough of pointing out the obvious, how do you fix it?

First Tapatalk. Come on, almost every forum I visit anymore is on tapatalk. It's simple, everything is in one place, it has notifications for interesting topics, pics are super easy to post. This site has always been a pain. Pictures are difficult to post, can't upload need to find a host like photobucket or someplace then link. App stinks. Just tried logging in on pc and would not log me in on two attempts. Tapatalk opens a lot of doors.

PMA membership /content. I see people posting above that they are disappointed in the content. So you shoot yourself in the foot by not offering content that might be interesting to the masses but aren't getting much support from paid memberships. I say dump the paid membership area, bolster your website content and work on getting your funding from sponsors.

I appreciate the effort you guys are willing to go to to recreate and preserve the doubletree threads but I think your focusing on the wrong thing if you want to revitalize the forum. Don't get me wrong those threads have great information but are you hoping to become an informational website or an active forum because revitalizing years old threads isn't going to increase forum activity and participation.

How about a deer contest? I think I've always seen that limited to PMA members in the past. Excuse me if that has changed and I missed it. That could add a big spark to participation.

Facebook. It's already been said but there are other social media outlets out there. I just joined an Iowa Bowhunter group, wow there are tons of posts to that group. But it's Facebook, pictures are super easy to post, the app is simple and works well so it's great for mobile. Replies are easy. I don't know if you can run a dual format and refer people to the forum or what but there are a lot of opportunities there and it's growing fast.

Merchandise. I have an old IW hat, had a decal on my old truck that is now gone but don't see much of a presence as far as hats, shirts, decals on trucks at shoots, etc. I know you can't give that stuff away but get some stuff made up and sell it at cost. Maybe give some away/donate to the IBA, prizes at 3D shoots, Etc.

Lots that can be done but that's just a few thoughts from me. I'd like to see this website become good again.

I hope IW never goes the Facebook way!!! I’m not a fan of the Facebook format. Personally I hardly ever look at Facebook. Lots of good things going on here lately so members need to get involved and post new threads or at least reply.

I'm sure Kodak was not a fan of digital photography, where did that get them?

Times change, you either change with them or get left behind.

I appreciate your opinion but attitudes like that are not going to save this forum.

Monsterbuck, no offense taken, all valid points. Hopefully there will be some new developments in the next month or two now that OneCam has put the site up for sale. If change comes, it will likely be big.

I'm not going to sugar coat things so please don't take offense.

This forum had been dying for a long time. This thread is evidence that people see that. The issue is traffic, there just aren't enough new and interesting postings to make the site worthwhile anymore. I've been around here a long time and seen the "good old days" but haven't really been on here much for several months. When you come on and there have only been a handful of threads started in a weeks time you move on to other options.

I know AT gets a bad rap and there are people with issues on there but it does get a lot of traffic and there is almost always something interesting going on.

So enough of pointing out the obvious, how do you fix it?

First Tapatalk. Come on, almost every forum I visit anymore is on tapatalk. It's simple, everything is in one place, it has notifications for interesting topics, pics are super easy to post. This site has always been a pain. Pictures are difficult to post, can't upload need to find a host like photobucket or someplace then link. App stinks. Just tried logging in on pc and would not log me in on two attempts. Tapatalk opens a lot of doors.

PMA membership /content. I see people posting above that they are disappointed in the content. So you shoot yourself in the foot by not offering content that might be interesting to the masses but aren't getting much support from paid memberships. I say dump the paid membership area, bolster your website content and work on getting your funding from sponsors.

I appreciate the effort you guys are willing to go to to recreate and preserve the doubletree threads but I think your focusing on the wrong thing if you want to revitalize the forum. Don't get me wrong those threads have great information but are you hoping to become an informational website or an active forum because revitalizing years old threads isn't going to increase forum activity and participation.

How about a deer contest? I think I've always seen that limited to PMA members in the past. Excuse me if that has changed and I missed it. That could add a big spark to participation.

Facebook. It's already been said but there are other social media outlets out there. I just joined an Iowa Bowhunter group, wow there are tons of posts to that group. But it's Facebook, pictures are super easy to post, the app is simple and works well so it's great for mobile. Replies are easy. I don't know if you can run a dual format and refer people to the forum or what but there are a lot of opportunities there and it's growing fast.

Merchandise. I have an old IW hat, had a decal on my old truck that is now gone but don't see much of a presence as far as hats, shirts, decals on trucks at shoots, etc. I know you can't give that stuff away but get some stuff made up and sell it at cost. Maybe give some away/donate to the IBA, prizes at 3D shoots, Etc.

Lots that can be done but that's just a few thoughts from me. I'd like to see this website become good again.
Agree , I know of quite a few people who left on the sole fact that their is no app anymore (even though the mobile site works great for me )

Hey fellas, haven't been on in awhile but I don't see where anyone posted this work around to the photobucket deal so I'll share. It isn't a fix for posting pics going forward, only viewing old pics, such as Paul's:

This only works if you use Google Chrome as your broswer but click on this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/sear ... d?hl=en-US

And then download the photobucket embed fix all pictures posted by photobucket previously will be viewable. I don't know how long this fix will work. What happens when photobucket goes down for good one day? But at least it's a temporary fix for viewing pics.

I've heard good things about IMGUR for posting pics as well, it operates similar to photobucket minus the $$$, it's free.

NO OFFENSE TAKEN!!!
1) Agree with a lot of what you said.
2) Dbltree - is going to be restored because "it's unreal information" and "nothing like it". It's one of Paul's Legacies and it's genius. Folks WILL ADD TO IT. In the spirit of what Paul was doing with it. That alone, nothing alone, will fix all problems. It's one point though & it's a huge information source for tons of folks & needs to be brought back to spotlight. Over the years, we all come here for different reasons. I know some guys that "ONLY WANNA SEE GIANT BUCKS"... ALL GOOD!!! Some guys, only habitat, some guys want interesting topics & debate. All are great. Dbltree's posts - I personally know they have impacted thousands and actually change the landscape across our state (and others) - literally. Paul's legacy of knowledge will continue.
3) Pictures - agree, will get fixed. WILL HAPPEN.
4) Driving traffic to site..... Tons of room here.... Agree with above.... A) Classic and doing merchandise. Even if No profit period was taken from Merchandise, that needs to happen. B) FACEBOOK - I'm not a facebook person. Below, I put a little link for FB but that's all I do and it's under my wife's name. here's the cool part.... Don't have to figure this out exactly BUT... IW (some folks) can & will do some FB posting but more just to keep folks engaged who are on there and bring some traffic to IW. This website will never change to a FB format. FB would simply be an add-on to keep up with the times. Anti-FB guys will have zero changes in reality.
5) With time, changes will come..... Buck contest, give aways, changes on PMA - all critical and positive thinking here. To give you perspective..... It WILL get better, big picture. It will be done in next 2-12 months IMO. New ownership with OneCam's post will likely help this out. Hopefully there's some changes coming and I suspect there is. Ain't gonna happen overnight BUT I promise you, whoever and however - there will be lot of great folks (like many on here) that are gonna execute on some great things. I'm sure a lot more to come on this.
6) Taptalk & apps..... OK - since I'm not a tech guy (yes, I admit, a major fault for my contributing) - I have to check into this. The good new is: there's a lot of hardcore tech dudes that can make these things happen. Again, I'd bet a nickel, with change in ownership, this will be addressed and resolved.
Good things to come. I'm as certain the website will get some Horsepower & Changes coming to it VS guys shooting some big bucks this fall. It's gonna happen!!!

"MIWGA" Make Iowa Whitetail Great Again! Will happen.

I'm sure Kodak was not a fan of digital photography, where did that get them?

Times change, you either change with them or get left behind.

I appreciate your opinion but attitudes like that are not going to save this forum.
Monster Buck you took my post way out of context. I wasn’t digging your post just expressing my opinion. No worries here my attitude is great as the 26th of October I’ll start my four weeks quest for a Monster Buck:D
I invited you to get involved again on this site as you have many great ideas.
I know you like to eat and smoke meats check out the Let Eat!!! Thread and share your knowledge with us.

Sligh1 you are helping to put my mind at ease. I can see a Facebook group buying this site. If they want to partner up that’s fine but my hopes are this forum stays solvent.
I have a feeling good things are coming. I enjoy the heck out of this forum and don’t want it to end.

Top Bottom