Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa

Re: Thinking of planting alfalfa

Even with my high deer densities they can't keep up with even small alfalfa fields which is great in that respect.

You might read back thru this thread and consider the Falcata alfalfa for a small plot that one can't bale.

It's meant to be a "one cut" alfalfa and might work better. I'm still in the testing phase myself but I like it so far.

Regular alfalfa will take many clippings to keep it from smothering I will say that. Not impossible, but a pain compared to white clover... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Read some pages out of this thread. I am going to plant 8 acres into alf-alfa this spring, I couldn't do it last summer because beans were in there. I will have it limed and fertilized in the next couple weeks. The farmer is busy and for some ODD reason he will likely only bale in once or twice in a year (throwing money away I know!). I plan on throwing 2 lbs of Alice white clover into the mix just for a little variety & so i could reduce the amount of alf-alfa seed per acre(is this ok or would you NOT do this?), thinking maybe around 15 lbs/acre if i mixed in a little clover, what you think???

My MAIN QUESTION- do you have a variety, two or three you'd plant or mix together that's best for deer???? Deer is the main goal- not bailing BUT it will be baled. Grazer alf-alfa from Welters, Galaxy grazing alf-alfa, etc. What would you plant (1 to 3 varieties, I could mix all together OR plant in few acre sections if you chose different alf-alfas). If it were you- what would you plant that's best for DEER????? (and LATE SEASON hunting!!!)??? Thanks!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on throwing 2 lbs of Alice white clover into the mix just for a little variety & so i could reduce the amount of alf-alfa seed per acre(is this ok or would you NOT do this?), thinking maybe around 15 lbs/acre if i mixed in a little clover, what you think???
</div></div>

You would be better off mixing red clover with alfalfa Skip, white clover is much shorter and may not be as compatiable.

Red clover is taller and more agressive and as long as you hay it even twice a year, the red clover/alfalfa combo will be VERY attractive to deer and work well for the farmer.

The only reason I don't encourage red clover is because like alfalfa, it's difficult to manage without baling it.

You have the ideal situation where you have a farmer to bale it.

Personally I would give nannyslayer a call because he has awesome varieties of both alfalfa and red clover and both have performed great for me!

I wouldn't use the grazer types for hay because they aren't as disease resistant as alfalfas bred for hay production. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dbltree, would mixing red clover with alfalfa hurt its value in the eyes of the average cattle farmer? We will be in a similar situation after we plant this fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would mixing red clover with alfalfa hurt its value in the eyes of the average cattle farmer? </div></div>

Red clover and alfalfa are commonly seeded together...or were but now days most farmers sow pure alfalfa, just because it is higher yielding better quality forage.

Most beef cattlemen are not going to be to concerned one way or the other but some dairy farmers might not be interested in a mix.

If the hay was being sold as baled hay, the markets are nationwide for pure high quality alfalfa but not so much for red clover or a red clover mix.

Are you going to market this hay yourself or sell it out of the field to a local farmer? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

I'm not marketing it AND I don't care about value. Would you choose to mix in red clover if you're only concerned with deeer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you choose to mix in red clover if you're only concerned with deer? </div></div>

Yes...I have found that deer love both red and white clover but I reccomend white clover for food plots because it is lower growing and easy to maintain then red clover.

That leads people to believe that white is better then red but my thoughts have nothing to do with deer preference.

You can try white clover with alfalfa but I don't think it will work well as far as compatibility. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

THANKS DBLTREE!! A little spin, would you plant straight alf-alfa OR would you choose to mix in some clover if you were only concerned with the best deer feed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would you plant straight alf-alfa OR would you choose to mix in some clover if you were only concerned with the best deer feed? </div></div>

Personally I would plant the best alfalfa and forget the clover but I understand your trying to save a few bucks on seed.

The only fault alfalfa has is that it needs to be harvested for hay to be maintained (hardly a fault but a problem for small plotters)

Alfalfa will outlast clover well into the new year and deer love it, it's one of the highest forages for digestable protien and can last 5-8 years as a stand.

Heck...what more could a person want? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Dbltree, we already have several farmers interested in paying to bale (and we won't even be ready to hay for another year!). Most times around here the landowner gets 1/3 of the hay, but that's with splitting the input and spraying costs, with us paying for all of that, we'll get a little more -- cash, not hay, we don't have any cattle.

Sounds like it'll be pure alfalfa for us, the stuff is gold around here for the cattle farmers.

BTW, my father-in-law didn't get a good stand last year, so he's replanting this spring, which he's not too happy about, most farmers like planting in the fall to get a head start on the weeds. BUT he's trying to find out from the local seed companies if they've cleared the RR alfalfa, if so, he'll be planting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pure alfalfa for us, the stuff is gold around here for the cattle farmers.
</div></div>

Yes it is and that makes it equally as valuable to deer and landowners who can take advantage of the cash flow it generates along with the "venison" it attracts... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

You just can't beat a food plot that pays the bills and attracts deer at the same time... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I sign a 5 year rental agreement for hay ground. They pay to put it in, lime/fertilize it, seed, etc and give me an excellent rental rate. I can choose what seed, etc in my circumstance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sign a 5 year rental agreement for hay ground. They pay to put it in, lime/fertilize it, seed, etc and give me an excellent rental rate. I can choose what seed, etc in my circumstance. </div></div>

Sounds like you have a GREAT situation. Our future hay ground is NOT prime, most farmers I think would laugh at us at the idea. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I don't like to confuse people with the issue of adding clover to alfalfa or not, normally with a brand new seeding...straight alfalfa would be my first choice.

A mix of alfalfa and red clover is fine but really there is no advantage IMO.

As an alfalfa patch starts to thin however, frost seeding red clover into the field can help extend the life of the plot.

If alfafa begins to thin, grasses and weeds begin to invade which requires herbicides to control. Frost seeding red clover into the thinning alfalfa will extend the life of the field a few more years, while still providing top quality hay for the farmer and high protien forage for your deer.

I frost seeded some red clover last week into a field that is thining a bit.

I used a one cut red clover but nannyslayer has some awesome red clover that will last 3-4 years that would be a better bet for hay. I seeded roughly 10#'s per acre in early March...

MammothRedClover.jpg

You can see the bare soil inbetween the drilled rows of alfalfa

Baresoilinalfalfa.jpg

I had sprayed this field with Select 2-EC grass herbicide last summer to clean it up

AlfalfainMarch.jpg

We'll see how it does this year with the red clover added...
Frostseedcloverintoalfalfa.jpg

Just limed a field for a brand new alfalfa seeding...I can see the deer licking their lips already... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Dbltree,

Where did you get the falcata alfalfa seed and how did it handle the cold during late season? I'm thiking about planting some this next fall but haven't found a seed source yet

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nontypcl1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dbltree,

Where did you get the falcata alfalfa seed and how did it handle the cold during late season? I'm thiking about planting some this next fall but haven't found a seed source yet

thanks </div></div>

I purchased it from Wind River Seed just shoot them an email for prices and shipping. Was about $4 a # last year.

FALCATA ALFALFA SEED

Falcata alfalfa is very different because it will spread and thicken and in theory will last hundreds of years. We don't know how it will be affected by disease and pests in our area as this is not "improved" seed.

If it works as expected it might never have to be replaced like conventional alfalfa that eventually dies out.

Mine stayed green until the first of the year and then died back but I can tell you more this year after it has been established longer.

I believe there is a min. $40 seed order but check with them for sure. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSQ2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

BTW, my father-in-law didn't get a good stand last year, so he's replanting this spring, which he's not too happy about, most farmers like planting in the fall to get a head start on the weeds. BUT he's trying to find out from the local seed companies if they've cleared the RR alfalfa, if so, he'll be planting it. </div></div>

They have not cleared the RR alfalfa yet, but it is looking good that it may be back on the market for fall. Nothing definite yet, but looking better anyways.

If your father in law can find some RR alfalfa, it is not illegal to plant it, just have to report it and keep track of it is all.

dbltree,

I'm thinking of putting around 1.5 acres of alfalfa, and like others, have no way to hay it. It is on my Dad's farm, and my Dad raises meat goats. How would the alfalfa do if instead of haying we turned 20 goats on it for a few days...no need to mow, no worry about smothering.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RockChucker30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dbltree,

I'm thinking of putting around 1.5 acres of alfalfa, and like others, have no way to hay it. It is on my Dad's farm, and my Dad raises meat goats. How would the alfalfa do if instead of haying we turned 20 goats on it for a few days...no need to mow, no worry about smothering.
Thanks </div></div>

The only problem with grazing alfalfa is bloat problems, livestock with nothing else to eat will eat the green alfalfa and then bloat and unless caught very quickly (with a knife to the stomach... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif ) they will die.

Deer graze alfalfa along with browse and other crops so bloat is not a problem. I'm not sure about goats but I know sheep and cattle have a serious bloat problem when eating alfalfa.

I've buried to many cattle that got loose in the night into a lush green alfalfa field. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Your idea otherwise would be reasonable but check with your vet because I think your looking to loose some goats if you graze them on pure alfalfa....

Which Alfalfa.....

Dbltree
Is that the alfalfa from russia that is greening up already? If I remember correctly that alfalfa is a one cut and stays green well into winter. Kinda thinking of maybe a fall planting of an acre to see how it goes...

Top Bottom