Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

To plant or not to plant? This weekend marks 2 weeks since we sprayed gly and 24d in our plots to plant brassicas. Was planning on broadcasting seed and the running the cultipacker over this Saturday. But the extended forecast only shows 50% chance of rain Sunday and that’s it. Thinking it may be best to wait until more rain is forecasted. what have others done in this situation? I’m a few weeks late in planting with the recent rains.

Last edited:
To plant or not to plant? This weekend marks 2 weeks since we sprayed gly and 24d in our plots to plant brassicas. Was planning on broadcasting seed and the running the cultipacker over this Saturday. But the extended forecast only shows 50% chance of rain Sunday and that’s it. Thinking it may be best to wait until more rain is forecasted. what have others done in this situation? I’m a few weeks late in planting with the recent rains.
I just spread some. No packing. We wet though!!! . If it’s dry… spread and pack it. GO!!! IMO. GO!!! U wanna plant in dust!!!! U are past the peak date IMO - slightly. Still time but I’d want it seeded asap. A vote for plant.
No answer is ever 100% perfect without possible issue too BTW.

Any times you have seen a Brassica plot get demolished be cause of lack of Moisture , my new plots are getting hammered with deer as soon as they came up .. no rain in 10 days and none projected next 10 , they germinated I no -tilled into dead rye ,clover. Piles of critters after germination. Just taking a guess.

I planted PTT and forage radishes on the weekend of the 29th with no rain in the forecast. I just burned off what I could get to burn of the mature rye+weeds that were in the plot , broadcasted and then cultipacked (I don't have a drill). Those ended up catching several good rains and came on really strong. I'm hoping they have a sufficient root system to survive at this point.
I also planted some last weekend right before a rain using a more conventional method. They caught an inch their first night and I'm sure they germinated. We now have an extremely hot stretch coming up and my guess is that most of those will burn up. I'll check and evaluate in a couple weeks.
It's always a gamble, but I've got a few bags of Rye sitting around just in case.

August 26th, 2023

Finally got my brassicas in, a touch late for mid MO. Typically alternate Brassicas and Dbltree mix, went with all brassicas this year to see how much growth I can get and how long it lasts into the winter. Deer numbers growing and wanted to maximize yield, and see how many late season bucks I can keep around.

- 9# / Acre Mix - Daikin Radish, PTT, DE Rape with a small amount of Kale, Forage Collards and Pasja Hybrid Brassica thrown in. Maybe a touch heavy, but radish in mix could make it come out about right for broadcasting. Time will tell :cool:
- 150# / Acre AMS (21-0-0-24S)

Always nice when you can call in a favor.. :D

RCNX0547.JPG

...And finish right before a light rain. New Brillion doing a great job.

IMG_0065 -- 1.jpg

2,4-d & 2-4 qts Gly with a 4-5 day window before u plant. Only lil adjustment. Ammonium sulfate If able. Clover is a pain to kill! If u r gonna work it- u gonna want at least that time to let it get crispy dead.
Are we still thinking a 4-5 day window after spraying with 2,4-d? With rains finally being forecasted I’d hate to miss them. I know it’s too late for turnips but gonna get my rye in.

Sorry my bad. I will have oats, peas, clover and radishes as well.
If u sprayed 2,4-d. Depends on rate u put down. Most labels will say 7 to 14 days depending on the rate u applied. It’s likely less than that. If u have: high heat, rain or dew- those all help degrade it quicker.
Bottom line: if u wanna plant same day or 2 from spray- skip 2,4-d. Go heavy gly. If u sprayed already - read label on rate. It’s likely shorter than label. IF the seed is under the soil & isn’t on surface with contact with 2,4-d, especially be fine.
2,4-d is a tiny bit tricky so just give yourself an interval if at all possible.

Top Bottom