Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

20 lbs per acre. I have alot to do so I probably start at a month out. Ideally a couple weeks would be just fine to squeeze a bit more out of crimson.
I see in your earlier post that you planted April 21 this year. Is that typical or do you ever frost seed crimson? Thanks for answering all my questions!

Cleared about 3/4 acre of timber/brush yesterday for a good plot. Hopefully going to seed it next weekend. Given the time of year, would you do brassicas (mix I have is 50% radishes) or rye? Will be adjacent to a soybean plot.

Cleared about 3/4 acre of timber/brush yesterday for a good plot. Hopefully going to seed it next weekend. Given the time of year, would you do brassicas (mix I have is 50% radishes) or rye? Will be adjacent to a soybean plot.

Given your timing, I'd mix the brassicas with the rye and plant ASAP.

If your plot was in the woods, I'd put down a heavy dose of lime and 200# of 6-24-24 as well.

Given your timing, I'd mix the brassicas with the rye and plant ASAP.

If your plot was in the woods, I'd put down a heavy dose of lime and 200# of 6-24-24 as well.

I would disagree with anyone saying to plant now. How do you expect things to germinate? Morning dew ain’t going to cut it. Rain is the only hope. If you don’t get it, you’re feeding the birds.

There is plenty of time as long as your soil prep work is done. I planted turnips in south central Iowa last fall; Sept 15th. Chance of rain Thursday, I would be sitting on G waiting on O, 30 mins before radar shows your farm is going to get rain, get it planted. I had turnips the size of golfballs and some baseball size. Deer hammered into well past deer season. Turnip's/raddish have a short maturity and with our trends of no killing frost Into November, you’ve got plenty of time.

I would disagree with anyone saying to plant now. How do you expect things to germinate? Morning dew ain’t going to cut it. Rain is the only hope. If you don’t get it, you’re feeding the birds.

There is plenty of time as long as your soil prep work is done. I planted turnips in south central Iowa last fall; Sept 15th. Chance of rain Thursday, I would be sitting on G waiting on O, 30 mins before radar shows your farm is going to get rain, get it planted. I had turnips the size of golfballs and some baseball size. Deer hammered into well past deer season. Turnip's/raddish have a short maturity and with our trends of no killing frost Into November, you’ve got plenty of time.

Not everyone is able to jump and head to their farm 2 hours before a rain. Not knowing exactly where in Iowa the poster is from, calendar wise and given his mix, its a good time to plant.

Packing everything in is a good way to press into the soil. Birds don't typically eat much brassica seed..

There are also quite a few rains that pop up in late summer.

Not everyone is able to jump and head to their farm 2 hours before a rain. Not knowing exactly where in Iowa the poster is from, calendar wise and given his mix, its a good time to plant.

Packing everything in is a good way to press into the soil. Birds don't typically eat much brassica seed..

There are also quite a few rains that pop up in late summer.
Priorities I guess……….

Plant now, with no rain will result in no growth, anyway you shake it. Relying on a pop up rain with today’s weather trends is just poor advice IMO. Birds will 100% hammer turnip/radish/rye/wheat seed.

Priorities I guess……….

Plant now, with no rain will result in no growth, anyway you shake it. Relying on a pop up rain with today’s weather trends is just poor advice IMO. Birds will 100% hammer turnip/radish/rye/wheat seed.

I just had a pop up rain after planting Friday with no rain in the forecast..

I plant by calendar. I've never had any issues with that in 15+ years of farming and food plotting.

I just had a pop up rain after planting Friday with no rain in the forecast..

I plant by calendar. I've never had any issues with that in 15+ years of farming and food plotting.

My career (agronomist) I help improve farmers profitabity and I do that on over 40,000 acres across several states; since it’s a competition here.

I’ll post some pictures October 1st what my plots look like.

Like I said, bad advice is bad advice anyway you look at it. Planting in dry soils with no rain in the forecast is a waste of money.

Last edited:
Brassicas are one type of seeding where simple germination is the most important issue. Once they get going - they chase moisture down. IMO- they are extremely resilient at hanging on until the next rain. I’ve “NEVER” had a a brassic failure. My “fine print” is extremely important & probably doesn’t apply to most folks…
1) I haven’t tilled this soil for years & when my brassicas go in, it’s not after tillage that released the soil moisture. *not knocking those that can’t do this or don’t want to - just saying it helps me a lot.
2) I choose good soils. I don’t fight clay knobs. & I’ve built organic matter, healthy soil & soil structure for decades. Not a minor point. Junk clay soil vs premium dirt- sometimes u can’t pick the better stuff but I usually try to locate it. The other part- my “mediocre soil” has actually turned into “great soil” with countless years of compost, manure, rotating cover crops (plots), stuff always growing & no tillage.
3) I don’t have a big Luxary of “when I plant” either because I have so much to do. I hold off when it’s a huge drought but I probably don’t pay as close of attention as some. My plots will have some residue on top, no tillage, great soil, brassicas at 1/4 to 1/8th” deep & once they get going…. I have yet to have a failure yet. Million ways to skin a cat but I am certain a guy can do several things to swing things wildly in their favor.

Brassicas are one type of seeding where simple germination is the most important issue. Once they get going - they chase moisture down. IMO- they are extremely resilient at hanging on until the next rain. I’ve “NEVER” had a a brassic failure. My “fine print” is extremely important & probably doesn’t apply to most folks…
1) I haven’t tilled this soil for years & when my brassicas go in, it’s not after tillage that released the soil moisture. *not knocking those that can’t do this or don’t want to - just saying it helps me a lot.
2) I choose good soils. I don’t fight clay knobs. & I’ve built organic matter, healthy soil & soil structure for decades. Not a minor point. Junk clay soil vs premium dirt- sometimes u can’t pick the better stuff but I usually try to locate it. The other part- my “mediocre soil” has actually turned into “great soil” with countless years of compost, manure, rotating cover crops (plots), stuff always growing & no tillage.
3) I don’t have a big Luxary of “when I plant” either because I have so much to do. I hold off when it’s a huge drought but I probably don’t pay as close of attention as some. My plots will have some residue on top, no tillage, great soil, brassicas at 1/4 to 1/8th” deep & once they get going…. I have yet to have a failure yet. Million ways to skin a cat but I am certain a guy can do several things to swing things wildly in their favor.
But make sure you’re elaborating on the most important part of all this………..are you drilling your seed in or are you broadcasting on top, broadcasting on top and cultipacking……..all 3 of these will result in potentially different successes.

But make sure you’re elaborating on the most important part of all this………..are you drilling your seed in or are you broadcasting on top, broadcasting on top and cultipacking……..all 3 of these will result in potentially different successes.
I am drilling. Causing soil to be slightly buried & packed tight. Clearly this is going to allow for best germination. A minimal till drill is a cheap way to accomplish this btw.
Next method I’ll do is broadcast & run over with cultimulcher. Very close 2nd for germination & results.
Last- I do broadcast but clearly that needs the most rain to germinate. Big soakers always get it going but yes, that’s the most inconsistent of the 3 for sure. I do it into eaten corn or beans. As long as the weeds are smoked (I’ll hit with gly then spread) - it works pretty darn well. Did this with a drone last week…. Sprayed then broadcast…..

My career (agronomist) I help improve farmers profitabity and I do that on over 40,000 acres across several states; since it’s a competition here.

I’ll post some pictures October 1st what my plots look like.

Like I said, bad advice is bad advice anyway you look at it. Planting in dry soils with no rain in the forecast is a waste of money.

I think you're misinterpreting my response to the earlier question. The question was asked "given the time of year". My response was based on the time of year, (going on Labor Day) for planting date for the specific mix list of seed he mentioned. It wasn't based on "blindly throwing out seed during a drought." I also have no idea what his personal weather forecast was for the week (Or where he is located in Iowa).

I think you've touched on a point regarding planting method. When I'm (personally) planting, I'm integrating with a 20" wheel Brillion packer. Big difference from someone spreading out seed with no incorporation during 95 degree drought. Some common sense required..

On the flip side, if there IS a fall drought, no amount of staring at the weather channel will save the fact that seed or not in the ground, nothing is growing.

You can scroll through many of the past cereal grain and brassica threads for my plots as well. I think we're both doing a fine job.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Sorry to stir up a debate but as always I enjoy learning from others on this site! Farm is SE Iowa Van Buren County. I do normally no till drill but this is an area that I had a dozer clear so it has some holes from stumps that need some work. I will probably need to fill it up and run a box scraper over it to smooth. Few rains in the forecast, we will keep an eye on them and see what happens. Never tried brassicas this late to see how they work. Thanks all for the replies and info.

Been planting brassicas for 15 years.
Always have broadcasted.
Ist hard frost date dictates how well they do.
Some years that can be mid Sept, some years mid Oct.
Can't say I've ever seen birds consume brassica seeds sitting on top of dry soil?
Oats/ rye.., yes.

I broadcasted and just drove over it with the four wheeler. Worked very well. I think skip makes a good point though on the no till and maybe that was more crucial, I just sprayed everything dead about 3 weeks ahead of time. Pretty good thatch to broadcast in to and it holds the moisture longer.

Top Bottom