Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Mixture of radish,ppt,Der planted 14 days ago.
Right side of the 3rd pic is clover,millet. Deer are really eating the millet well.
20240828_143728.jpg
20240828_142815.jpg
20240828_142832.jpg

Looking at my turnip plot last week, looks like the lack of moisture is giving my weeds a head start. I know I will spray Clethodim this weekend but was wondering if weed whacking with a steel blade will help or possibly mowing? The turnips that are there may be too tall is why I was thinking of weed eating some of the bigger broadleaves to get some sun to them. If that don't work I may just have to replant but thought I would give it a week since we just received 2 inches of rain last night.

Sorry to stir up a debate but as always I enjoy learning from others on this site! Farm is SE Iowa Van Buren County. I do normally no till drill but this is an area that I had a dozer clear so it has some holes from stumps that need some work. I will probably need to fill it up and run a box scraper over it to smooth. Few rains in the forecast, we will keep an eye on them and see what happens. Never tried brassicas this late to see how they work. Thanks all for the replies and info.

Speaking specifically to planting brassicas at this time in SE Iowa, where I am also located BTW...

IMO, you are kind of late, but not way too late. :) I would adjust my ratio and go heavier with radishes and lesser on turnips at this stage of the year. Turnips are hardier in the winter, but radishes don't seem to me to "need" as long to get going, so you can plant them just a bit later IMO. (Normally, everyone plants radishes and turnips together.)

I no tilled in rye/oats/leftover soybeans this past Saturday and had borderline mud in a couple of places and evident soil moisture in most places. This was a welcome sight in an area where are often planting into "dust" related to summer drought. This year though...just about perfect planting conditions. Yay!!

Too dry at my place to even plant brassica this year. I drilled in cereal grain a couple days ago and no rain in the 10 day forecast. :mad:

Top Bottom