Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Anyone getting Urea in NE Iowa? Having a hard time finding it this year in bag or bulk. On another note, had one of the COOPs say that turnips didn't need Urea. First time I have heard that.

AMS is a good alternative. 21-0-0-24S. Not as volatile either..

But yes, your CO-OP is smoking rocks.

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
Hand shoveling nearly 20,000 lbs of brassica fertilizer. Yeeeha

Screenshot_20240719_150629_Gallery.jpg

Have some really good rain chances next week. Was thinking about getting my radishes and turnips in the ground.

Worried it may be too early though. I’m roughy 92-93 days before the average frost. Any thoughts?
Better in the ground and growing verses waiting and no rain for couple of weeks! Plenty of ground moisture this yr! Im doing same thing!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Curious if you would take the chance. I mowed my Winter rye about 3 weeks ago little to late, and they seeds started germinating, so I sprayed Round Up on them last Sunday I checked them yesterday and got a great kill.
Wondering if I should just spread Brassicas seed on these plots (Lots of dried thatch & bare soil) Or go conventional method? Spread Urea, Lightly till, cultipack, seed it, cultipack it. Looks like some decent chances of rain this week. Who thinking now or a week or two?

Curious if you would take the chance. I mowed my Winter rye about 3 weeks ago little to late, and they seeds started germinating, so I sprayed Round Up on them last Sunday I checked them yesterday and got a great kill.
Wondering if I should just spread Brassicas seed on these plots (Lots of dried thatch & bare soil) Or go conventional method? Spread Urea, Lightly till, cultipack, seed it, cultipack it. Looks like some decent chances of rain this week. Who thinking now or a week or two?
I would just spread it and either cultipack it or drive over it. Still need urea/fertilizer (spread that too). Seed a little heavier if you are worried (have to be careful with brassicas though not to overseed). You would probably get a littler better germination with tilling but it sure is a lot more work, likely would have more weeds though too. It's all personal preference. Now or in a week or two? Any of those work, I'd go now.

If you have a lot of bare soil, you could try broadcasting. But I'd still pack them in. Preferably before a good rain.

As for timing - Where are you located?

If you till if you will 100% have more rye seed germinate. Just FYI.

Burning is another option as it will burn up seed.

Well you have two choices:

Plant the conventional method that you know will produce the plot you are after
or
Spread your seed and pray you get enough rain to grow it....

For me the later is too risky and has failed me far more times that succeeded.

Also as @IowaBowHunter1983 mentioned you will have some rye come up if tilled so plan for that....could leave it or spray it to kill...

Not abnormal for this time of year. Not in a hurry to plant with this forcast.

View attachment 127858

Agreed. We’ve got plenty of time. I planted Sept 15th last year and had turnips the size of baseballs throughout the entire 1.5acre plot. Our southern iowa sub soil moisture is slowly depleting as we’ve missed a ton of these pop up storms last 10 days. I’ve been burned so many times in the last 4-5 seasons planting off these Early August “50% chances”. I’ll risk it until we get that really good soaker and get it in the ground right before.

Agreed. We’ve got plenty of time. I planted Sept 15th last year and had turnips the size of baseballs throughout the entire 1.5acre plot. Our southern iowa sub soil moisture is slowly depleting as we’ve missed a ton of these pop up storms last 10 days. I’ve been burned so many times in the last 4-5 seasons planting off these Early August “50% chances”. I’ll risk it until we get that really good soaker and get it in the ground right before.
Man that sure rings a Bell !

As of this past Friday, we were looking at a bit more then an inch coming.
Was giddy as July 25 is my annual go to date.
Got everything done yesterday morning and they all about took away any chance next 10 days.
Worst fear now is getting a pop up shower with just enough to Germ the seeds and not enuff to keep them going.
This foodplotting stuff is stressful. Lol.

FWIW...planted about 2 acres of rutabagas this afternoon and then about an acre and half of turnips/radishes. Plenty early IMO, but could resist trying to get some in before the rain tonight. :) I will plant more radish/turnips in about 2-3 weeks. Hopefully I am smarter then...as I left a setting on the drill a little "heavy tonight. Whoops. That acre and a half was supposed to be 2 acres. :)

Top Bottom