Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Have an old plot we're trying to revive and it is full of ragweed. We hit it with roundup 8 days ago and it is barely changing color. Should we hit it again with 24 D?

OK, now I see what you're doing. DO NOT hit with 2,4-D. It's nasty stuff that carries a residual. It would not hurt to immediately blast with 1.5-2 quarts of round-up per acre again. Disc it all in extremely well after putting your fertilizer down. Then get it seeded.

Post Above this one, not putting N down when discing & before seeding makes your situation a little trickier.

Last edited:
first time plotter here. my brassicas is just starting to pop up. if the weeds get out of control what could i use to keep them at bay

first time plotter here. my brassicas is just starting to pop up. if the weeds get out of control what could i use to keep them at bay

Most of the time you're going to have grass problems. clethodim & crop oil. Ruralking.com you can buy both.

OK, now I see what you're doing. DO NOT hit with 2,4-D. It's nasty stuff that carries a residual. It would not hurt to immediately blast with 1.5-2 quarts of round-up per acre again. Disc it all in extremely well after putting your fertilizer down. Then get it seeded.

Post Above this one, not putting N down when discing & before seeding makes your situation a little trickier.

Thank so much Sligh...so we want put down our fertilizer before discing? We are going to use arrow plus brassica plus. Do you have a fertilizer recommendation?

I’ve planted brassicas with everything from a $25 bag seeder to a $25,000 drill, so regardless of your equipment you can find helpful information at this link:Planting brassicas for whitetails

These are pictures of some of our prep which starts by mowing the rye/clover strips

The provides nitrogen for the brassicas a food source for whitetails

Fawns were big enough to get up and run and the rye straw is easier to mow when not green

Farms close to home we disc

Video

Apply fertilizer

and disc again to incorporate fertilizer

Being confined to a wheelchair I have to wait for my son to bring me pictures but years of information are posted in this thread

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

clover in my brassica plot

So I disced up my clover and planted a brassica mix.
Rain was looming, but of course it fizzled out right before it got to me,
Then redeveloped after me! Ha!
It has been one week ,real dry and I don't believe anything has
Germinated. But I have clover starting to come back in spots.
Maybe in 20-25% of the plot. Should I try to kill it with a heavy
Dose of gly? Or let it be. Any opinions?

With broadcasting seed do you guys do your mixes separate or actually mix them in your broadcaster/seeder? For instance turnip seed is almost as small as clover while GH Radishes are fairly large and DE Rape is just slightly bigger than my turnip seed. Thought of broadcasting them all separate or thought about just mixing the rape and turnips then going back over with the radishes?

Let me know.

I do it all seperate.. The gate on the bag spreader has to be big enough for the radishes to get out but then it just dumps out the tiny turnip seed too fast.

I mixed mine this year, but that was a mistake with my shoulder spreader. Next year I'll plant the DER seed and Turnip seed together then go over it again with the GFR seed. Just like airassault said, the tiny turnip and rape seed just pours out if you open it too much and if you don't open it enough the GFR seed will clog it up

Oh, btw I have approx. 3.5 lbs of seed left. It's from welters and all my plots are done. If anyone wants it just pm me (it's all mixed together already, sorry)

Planting here in a couple hours thanks for the replies was already going to do it separate thanks for the confirmation! KHughes, I sadly just bought a little more yesterday!!! I wanted to do an experiment with sugar beets to see how the deer would use one mix vs the other.

FYI- I planted 5 acres of corn on June 1st this year that got decimated when I checked on it July 10th. When I planted the corn I added 400LBS of Urea 46-0-0 and applied 1.5 quarts of atrazine per acre. I decided to cut my losses and roll the dice on a brassica plot to hopefully take advantage of the fertilizer I had in the ground. SO I tilled under the corn and planted them on July 12th I was nervous about the brassica's because of the Atrazine carry over. Needless to say they came in great just wanted to add in my case I had no issues I know there is some worries about broadcasting into atrazine treated areas, in my case I had no issues but I did till the ground so that might of helped. The brassica are full and Lush. Just wanted to throw it out there for what it is worth.

Anybody else having problems with pig weed? There is a couple options to spray. Was wondering if anyone has tried spraying before and what the results were.

Planted 5 acres of brassicas on July 26th and have gotten no rainfall since. It looks like one of the plots has germinated about 50% and the other about 10%. I'm guessing the seed started where ever the soil had enough moisture the day I planted. Will the seed still germinate if we get some rain or would it be a good idea to over seed the bare areas? Starting to run out of time to get some good growth. The good thing is there aren't any weeds coming in YET either. Any thoughts?

I think it all depends on when the next rain comes and when the first frost happens. I am betting on an early frost this year. You could always switch half the plot to Winter rye. I planted my brassicas around July 13th right before an inch of rain and they are already 6 to eight inches tall. I need rain also. My farm is near Brighton, IA.

Top Bottom