Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Todd is spot on!!!….
Depends on rate & formulation of 2,4-d. Always read labels.
For simplicity & likely reality ….. 7 days - likely fine. Especially when hot & or/wet- degrades faster. At labeled rates & on lower end of application…. I feel pretty comfy with 7 days.
**if someone “doubled the rate” or included something like liberty/glufosinate…. 2-3 weeks. !!!!LIBERTY TO BRASSICAS !!!!….. 2 weeks or more…. It’s liberty’s downside. Gly is very different & can immediately plant. Not the case with glufosinate!! Careful reminder.

Lot of clover failures this year from drought. Part of it and u r not alone! So great to have all these back up plans. Good luck on the planting & hopefully good rain rest of season!!

What's everyone thinking with the current conditions and weather forecast? We have some moisture in the ground and slight chance of rain Sunday, but have a big heat wave coming next week.

We've had a relatively cool summer so I'm guessing were going to pay for it in August. If the heat does stick around and we don't get much for rain in the next few weeks, are we better off trying to plant now into moisture or wait and see what mother nature throws at us? My concern with planting early is they sprout and die from the heat/drought, or my soil crusts over and they dont poke through.

Its a roll of the dice either way. What are you doing?

What's everyone thinking with the current conditions and weather forecast? We have some moisture in the ground and slight chance of rain Sunday, but have a big heat wave coming next week.

We've had a relatively cool summer so I'm guessing were going to pay for it in August. If the heat does stick around and we don't get much for rain in the next few weeks, are we better off trying to plant now into moisture or wait and see what mother nature throws at us? My concern with planting early is they sprout and die from the heat/drought, or my soil crusts over and they dont poke through.

The second part that I highlighted, definitely the second part. For me, it is ALWAYS a roll of the dice on planting timing and somehow I am way under 50% when it comes to guessing right. :)

I have good soil moisture now, better than anytime in recent past at my place for mid-to-late July. So...I am planning on putting some brassicas in this coming weekend. Which should guarantee a period of intense heat and no rain. :) So there's that. :)

Todd is spot on!!!….
Depends on rate & formulation of 2,4-d. Always read labels.
For simplicity & likely reality ….. 7 days - likely fine. Especially when hot & or/wet- degrades faster. At labeled rates & on lower end of application…. I feel pretty comfy with 7 days.
**if someone “doubled the rate” or included something like liberty/glufosinate…. 2-3 weeks. !!!!LIBERTY TO BRASSICAS !!!!….. 2 weeks or more…. It’s liberty’s downside. Gly is very different & can immediately plant. Not the case with glufosinate!! Careful reminder.

Lot of clover failures this year from drought. Part of it and u r not alone! So great to have all these back up plans. Good luck on the planting & hopefully good rain rest of season!!
So the label on liberty def says this. I've just never had an issue. Not at 1 quart or less anyway. Don't do it often unless big waterhemp problem as 24d is much cheaper

I've been thinking about planting half now and half a little later.

I dont ever plant early. I have seen more than one time where I planted even the last week of July and the weather just worked out that my plants ended up too big and woody and frankly the deer did not touch them so the plots were rendered useless. I would much rather wait. There is still SO MUCH time left to plant brassicas that IMO there is no reason to plant early. Totally my opinion tho

I dont ever plant early. I have seen more than one time where I planted even the last week of July and the weather just worked out that my plants ended up too big and woody and frankly the deer did not touch them so the plots were rendered useless. I would much rather wait. There is still SO MUCH time left to plant brassicas that IMO there is no reason to plant early. Totally my opinion tho

Agree with this completely. Seems our fall is always getting warmer, and our winters always later and further into spring.

Leggy cereal grains aren't such a big hit either :eek:

This is one of the plots I sprayed today for brassicas. This is IDEAL ahead brassicas. The crimson clover helped keep weeds at bay, fed deer for several months, AND created a whole bunch of free nitrogen. It doesn't always work out this well but if I could get all spots to look like this ahead of brassicas I would.

20230717_163759.jpg

20230718_171305.jpg

This year I'm making my own all brassica blend of:

Radish
PT Turnip
DE Rape
Pasja Hybrid Brassica
Forage Collards
Kale (small amount)

18lbs broadcast / cultipacked for about 2 acres.

This is one of the plots I sprayed today for brassicas. This is IDEAL ahead brassicas. The crimson clover helped keep weeds at bay, fed deer for several months, AND created a whole bunch of free nitrogen. It doesn't always work out this well but if I could get all spots to look like this ahead of brassicas I would.

View attachment 125521
View attachment 125522
IBH - are you no-tilling into that, tilling, or just broadcasting? We have an acre that was previously clover that we just killed off and are going to do brassicas and just have an ATV with disc and cultipacker. Curious as to how we should attack it.

IBH - are you no-tilling into that, tilling, or just broadcasting? We have an acre that was previously clover that we just killed off and are going to do brassicas and just have an ATV with disc and cultipacker. Curious as to how we should attack it.
With enough moisture you can just broadcast but my favorite method is to run a tiller over it pretty fast and shallow. Really just scratches when you do that. Then cultipack.

That is some dead clover, impressed. How do you get into and out of that stand without blowing that stand area out for the season?
That's in my backyard plot and is setup more for a display for showing people Titans.

But If it does get hunted I will probably have my wife just open the backdoor and yell so I can get out.

Screenshot_20230728_212810_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom