Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

How long will the winter rye & clover lay in the ground and be OK? I planted my rye about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't rained a drop. Seeds haven't germinated (obviously). Will they just lie there until it rains and then come up, or have I wasted a ton of seed?

Thanks!

Steve

How long will the winter rye & clover lay in the ground and be OK? I planted my rye about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't rained a drop. Seeds haven't germinated (obviously). Will they just lie there until it rains and then come up, or have I wasted a ton of seed?

Thanks!

Steve

Well, if you only planted 1000 lbs of seed, then you would have only wasted half a ton, not a full ton. :D

All kidding aside, I would think youll still be good to go as long as it didnt germinate and then dry out right away. Otherwise, as long as the birds arent feasting on the seed, it should grow.

Well, if you only planted 1000 lbs of seed, then you would have only wasted half a ton, not a full ton. :D

That quip cracked me up, good one! :way:

But I can attest that seed planted in dry conditions like we have now is normally going to be OK until it rains. I have had that scenario multiple times in the past, and again this year too. If your seed was on the top of the soil then you may lose a lot to birds, etc, but if it was covered, I think you should be fine.

Round Up Washed Away

I purchased new ground that has been pasture for decades (mostly fescue and little clover). I sprayed round up last weekend and 2 hours later it got .75" of rain (surprise!). I checked the field today and the roundup did not work at all.

I want to plant the cereal grain mix (rye, oats, white clover, GHFR). My options are the following:

1. Respray round up asap and plant on September 14-15.
2. Or I can use my 5' tiller on my tractor and till in the green grass and plant on September 7-8. Would this work or would grass and weeds take over?

Which is best?

My locations average first frost is October 15th.

If it were me, I would spray it today, then till & plant tomorrow or Saturday. I have not found it necessary to delay planting after applying glyphosate beyond the time it takes it to dry. Good luck.

I purchased new ground that has been pasture for decades (mostly fescue and little clover). I sprayed round up last weekend and 2 hours later it got .75" of rain (surprise!). I checked the field today and the roundup did not work at all.

I want to plant the cereal grain mix (rye, oats, white clover, GHFR). My options are the following:

1. Respray round up asap and plant on September 14-15.
2. Or I can use my 5' tiller on my tractor and till in the green grass and plant on September 7-8. Would this work or would grass and weeds take over?

Which is best?

My locations average first frost is October 15th.

I would spray asap and till this weekend but if not possible, spray this weekend and plant next weekend, still time in your area. Even 24 hrs between spray and till would help and then spray clethodim next spring to mop up.

Was going to plant rye and oats this weekend. Should I skip the oats and just go heavier on the rye or stick with both? Thanks

Oats will come up fast, but will kill off on the first good frost. I would think about cutting back on the oats in the mix, but not eliminating them, and go with a little more rye.

I have a question about some clover I frost seeded last winter. It did okay but is thin in spots. I was thinking about broadcasting winter rye to have a later season food source.How do you think that would work? Any opinions would be great, thanks

I have a question about some clover I frost seeded last winter. It did okay but is thin in spots. I was thinking about broadcasting winter rye to have a later season food source.How do you think that would work? Any opinions would be great, thanks

If it makes soil contact it can work very well, broadcast 50-75#'s asap

Anyone else have problems with rust on your oats and rye? They started coming up great but now look horrible. Took 20 steps into the plot and my boots turned orange. The deer are now focusing on the brassicas and leaving the oats and the rye to dry out and die. Never had this happen before.

Anyone else have problems with rust on your oats and rye? They started coming up great but now look horrible. Took 20 steps into the plot and my boots turned orange. The deer are now focusing on the brassicas and leaving the oats and the rye to dry out and die. Never had this happen before.

Do you water your food plots? My corn is very rusty because I have a lot of iron in my well water but I cant see why anything would build 'rust' besides that. In order for rust to occur you have to have oxidized metal/iron.

Not watered. Had 2 rains on it shortly after planting. Took a picture of it and sent it to an agronomist. He said that it was rust and he had seen a lot of that this year on corn.

September 13th, 2013

With soils dry as a bone after 6 weeks with no rain and above average, blistering hot temp's we delayed planting the cereals a bit in hopes of planting closer to a rain and this time it worked out. God blessed many areas with an inch of rain and we have a rainy forecast ahead....Jess is drilling the last few acres today.

Tim did a nice job on his and hopefully got rain as well!

The oats will grow quickly and provide lush forage while the slower growing rye catches up and shoulders the load thru the winter.

This thread has some great pics of each plant type as it germinates and grows, very helpful for those curious about plant I.D. and germination time:

Crop ID

Rain is due in here Saturday evening so check the forecast in your area and get your plantings in ahead of the rain!

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

Top Bottom