Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Paul, I know you like using rye and oats, but have you experimented much with triticale? Just wondered if the root system mimicked rye or wheat. I didn't know if it got stemmy like wheat does when it came time to clip it off

Paul, I know you like using rye and oats, but have you experimented much with triticale? Just wondered if the root system mimicked rye or wheat. I didn't know if it got stemmy like wheat does when it came time to clip it off

I have and several years back in this thread I have pics, deer don't care either way but triticale tillers like wheat and smothers clovers. It's harder to work with in the spring and doesn't have the aggressive, soil building root systems that rye does. To many negatives and no positives for me...;)

Paul,

I think I know the answer but if planted two weeks ago and not a drop of rain since is there any need to top dress it with more right now or just play it out?

Paul,

I think I know the answer but if planted two weeks ago and not a drop of rain since is there any need to top dress it with more right now or just play it out?

It should be fine, let's hope we all get rain this weekend!:way:

I have and several years back in this thread I have pics, deer don't care either way but triticale tillers like wheat and smothers clovers. It's harder to work with in the spring and doesn't have the aggressive, soil building root systems that rye does. To many negatives and no positives for me...;)

Paul I was sure you probably had, but I honestly didn't remember if you had commented before on it. I sorta figured it would tiller like wheat. I think I'll just stick with rye.

Whats the goal or desired height for the above grain mix to reach before frost? My mix is already 3-4 inches tall!! I thought the deer would keep it mowed down.

Whats the goal or desired height for the above grain mix to reach before frost? My mix is already 3-4 inches tall!! I thought the deer would keep it mowed down.

Guess we know who's hogging all the rain! :moon::D

6-8" going into October is usually fine and as weather cools, they will start to put on the feedbag and keep things grazed down. It sometimes takes some experimentation to find a "not to early - not to late planting date" and just when you have it figured out...nature throws a cure ball!

Keep us posted this fall :way:

When do you think is the latest for planting the rye mix and having it produce? Would be starting a new plot. Any changes to the mix with it being mid September?

When do you think is the latest for planting the rye mix and having it produce? Would be starting a new plot. Any changes to the mix with it being mid September?

Still time unless you live in northern MN? :D

Might leave the forage radish out but it depends on rainfall and growing days. Cold weather might be 6 weeks away which would mean everything would do fine? Always a bit of a crap shoot so if a few bucks worth of seed isn't a big deal...go for it and let us know how it worked out.

September 22nd, 2013

Chad sent in some pics of his cereal planting, very well done!

Beautiful seed bed

All he needs is rain!

Common question this year..."how long can seeds lay in the soil before a rain germinates them?" Tim sent in the answer....

. I planted rye and kopu II in strips 8-30, and rye,oats,peas,Diakons and red clover on the same day.Of course it has been dry with no rain until the last two days and we have been blessed with 2" of miracle water. Shazaaam! Just love to see plants in their infant stages.

Then this past Wednesday I broadcast rye into standing beans,Sprout away little buddies!

Amazing how people get all bent out of shape, and stress that all that work is wasted......Just wait for God he will give it what it needs in his time. Sometimes we are like Abram when he wanted to hurry Gods plan..Most times we would be a whole lot better off if we would just learn to be more ..."Patient".

As I have always said,"there is a blessing in there somewhere". I figure God just wanted this food plot to be a bit "later in the year"?
God bless, still praying,

Tim

More then 2 weeks between planting in bone dry soils and a good rain, yet the seeds popped up with rain!

Tim did as we do...get the seed in the ground and when rain finally comes...they will grow!

We got .600" and then .750" so hopefully our cereals will take as well!

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

I planted my cereal grains August 25th with no rain could fescue be a problem and out compete the grain mix ?

I planted my cereal grains August 25th with no rain could fescue be a problem and out compete the grain mix ?

Did you completely kill off the fescue? If so, then you're asking if the fescue seed that's there will compete? Not much if that's the case. You'll be fine. After rotating it you'll be even better but you'll be in great shape with this mix out-competing fescue seed. If you are saying you didn't kill off your fescue- you got trouble.

This was a white clover plot on a farm I purchased had a lot of fescue mixed in , I didn't spray it because it had more clover than grasses..

This was a white clover plot on a farm I purchased had a lot of fescue mixed in , I didn't spray it because it had more clover than grasses..

Use clethodim to kill fescue and not clover, fescue will come back to haunt you...;)

Sept 28th, 2013

The sun has set on another planting season for Dbltree Habitat Enhancement as Jess poured the last bag of seed in the drill...

and planted our own plots dead last

with nearly 100 acres planted...the first ones are coming up with only 3/4" of rain

Once germinated the cereals are pretty drought tolerant but will of course grow faster with more rain.

Few tenth's today an more late week will keep 'em growing! :way:

Clover = Nitrogen

Scott sent a note and pics:

Paul, Just a quick note and some pics, the first pic is labor day weekend when I tilled under my crimson clover for my cereal grain plot. The second is what the cereal plot looks like today and the third is proof on how they are keeping it clipped down. I have a hard time finding any peas or radishes now after a month but they are still coming in for the rye/oat mix and some of the clover is coming up also.

I fertilized the crimson with some 6-24-24 about 150#/acre, no fertilizer on the cereal grain mix just pelletized lime, maybe 150#/acre of lime.

Bow season starts here in Michigan on Tuesday so it's time to climb a tree and enjoy my work. Thanks for all your help over the last year, our property is starting to show some improvements. I know this will not happen overnight but I'm enjoying watching the transformations.

Thanks
Scott
Now soils are not created = so always soil test for P&K, PH, micro nutrients and % organic matter when you start, bring nutrient levels up, correct PH and know where you stand in terms of OM. Nitrogen however is not store-able and low OM means it leaches away even faster.

Planting legumes such as red clover in the fall and crimson, berseem or arrowleaf in the spring can provide your cereal mix with all it's N needs, not to mention building soil OM. Scott tilled under lush healthy crimson...

Which in turn is supplying the rye mix with N as it decomposes

and deer are happily lapping up the lush, palatable forage...

It's a perfect cycle, ideal rotation...made better yet by no-till planting! Thanks Scott and best of luck this season :way:

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

Last edited:
Oct 5th, 2013

We always plant our plots last so our cereals didn't get planted til Sept. 13th, much later then we prefer but with bone dry soils it was a moot point. Since planting we have had a few 1/2" rains, scarcely enough on such dry soil but the beauty of this mix is...it doesn't take much.

I always say "rye will grow on a brick" and our old farm lane, hard packed from 50 years of equipment traveling down it and any semblance of top soil, long ago washed away...is as close as one can come to a...brick, yet a little rain and it springs to life!

Finishing up, Jesse emptied t he drill by no-tilling unplanted spot, lane etc., in/around our plots which are together, centrally located in the center of the cover on our farm. No fertilizer, no nuthin'....

The cereal mix is a versatile, never fail mix...if it won't grow, likely nothing will

The drill insures uniform depth and coverage so germination is often better in difficult conditions...see the hairy vetch added to the mix?

Because our brassicas were planted last, some areas did not come so Jess re-drilled the r ye mix...the brassica seed despite laying there for nearly 2 months...came up with recent rains

Of course at this point the brassicas produce little but some forage nonetheless, the clovers and peas are also doing well

The cereal mix produces a tremendous amount of high quality forage

Note that even tilled under yearly, white clover keeps coming back

Egyptian wheat was also last planted but still screening the plot

No deer can pass up this gourmet buffet

Note the size of brassicas that did come up!!

Fortunately, these are cool season crops and they will grow rapidly now.... :way:

Paul - thanks for all your advise and the great information that you put out.

I had a couple new brassica plots and with the lack of rain we got in July and August by the end of August my brassicas were almost non-existent. I made desicion to till under and plant the cereal grain mix. I am more than pleased with the results! After 1 good rain here is what the looked like after a couple weeks

15974f235540c7cb14f5711f8691e5c2_zps0c3f1f44.jpg

1967032c5d545e60a144fa7b666dca4b_zpsbdc248a2.jpg

Top Bottom