Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Broadcasting my clover tonight with the hopes of rain tomorrow, got everything smoothed with the harrow. My innoculant is in the fridge, and I think I have everything ready.

Any final tips?

giterdone :way:

LOL, I got it "started" the spring inside my ATV broadcaster broke, and I pretty much wasted about an acres worth of seed. Ended up having to use the hand seeder, which took a long time!

Just need to get the rain and if anything else, might have to re-seed some areas.

The clover that I frost seeded in march is just starting to come up. Man it took forever. But thanks to Dbltree I am being patient because it is the first year. I keep mowing it every 10 days or so to keep the weeds at bay. When should I spray it for the first time?

The clover that I frost seeded in march is just starting to come up. Man it took forever. But thanks to Dbltree I am being patient because it is the first year. I keep mowing it every 10 days or so to keep the weeds at bay. When should I spray it for the first time?

So it is the weeds you are having to mow now, your clover isn't that tall, correct? Good luck, this is my first year planting clover as well so we shall see. Like anything, it is a learning experience.

As far as spraying it goes, I would definitely let it mature more until spraying. The first couple pages of this thread might cover when to spray. I will most likely just clip my clover a couple times this summer and maybe spot spray any weeds that seem to be a real problem.

If you are keeping weeds down by mowing, you may not need to spray. But if you do spray, I too would wait another month or so until the fresh clover is more established. OR, as Skyler suggests too...just spot spray trouble spots.

May 1st, 2012

We've had several days now of steady rains, sorely needed to help restore a soil moisture deficient and give us a fighting chance when the heat of summer arrives and rain fall is scarce. Rainfall is common in spring of course and that can make planting difficult, especially for weekenders who may have precious little time to get things planted. This is one of the reasons I prefer summer and fall plantings because not only can rains make planting difficult, they also encourage a flush of weed growth that can be frustrating and challenging not to mention expensive to deal with.

Whenever possible then, I establish white and red clovers in the fall with winter rye as a cover crop that keeps deer fed while the clovers are getting started. Rain is rarely a serious impediment to planting in the fall and weeds are never a problem. That said we did have some beautiful planting weather this April and I was able to establish some white clover using oats and a mix of annual clovers as cover crops. The berseem and crimson clovers start quickly along with the oats and again, keep deer fed while the slower growing white clover becomes established. The oats an annual clovers also help hold back weeds although they may still be a problem in which case clipping the tops just above the clover will help.

A spring mix then might look something like this...

50-60#'s of oats
6-10#'s white clover
10# berseem
10#' crimson

Welter Seed is a great source for all types of clover seeds, all of which they will sell by the pound so it is not necessary to purchase more then you need but always check locally to avoid shipping charges. Alice and KopuII are two of my favorites but there are many many varieties of white intermediate and ladino clovers available today.

Spring is also a time when perennial cool season grasses love to invade our clover plots....

c1-5.jpg

but grasses are easy to deal with by spraying clethodim and crop oil to safely nuke the grasses without harming the clovers.

I use 8 ounces of clethodim and 1 quart of crop oil per acre which will smoke your grasses and they will vanish in roughly 2 weeks. Rural King has the best price that I am aware of, even with shipping costs I have been unable to find it for less elsewhere....

Cropsmart Clethodim

A gallon will last most people for a number of years and can be used to kill grasses in almost any broadleaf crop or trees. Crop oil is available at most ag co-op's or simply add a little dawn dish soap to the mix.

Note*** clethodim will not harm seedling clovers but remember it will kill oats if they are part of the mix.

I usually add a "smidge" of glyphosate which of course carries some degree of risk, but clovers are very gly resistant especially in the spring when they are not under stress. 8-12 ounces per acre has worked well for me to clean up other invading plants without causing severe injury or death to the clovers. Usually it takes nearly two quarts of gly per acre to kill a healthy stand of white clover so knowing that a adding a small amount is usually safe yet effective. ;)

May 1st, 2012

We've had several days now of steady rains, sorely needed to help restore a soil moisture deficient and give us a fighting chance when the heat of summer arrives and rain fall is scarce. Rainfall is common in spring of course and that can make planting difficult, especially for weekenders who may have precious little time to get things planted. This is one of the reasons I prefer summer and fall plantings because not only can rains make planting difficult, they also encourage a flush of weed growth that can be frustrating and challenging not to mention expensive to deal with.

Whenever possible then, I establish white and red clovers in the fall with winter rye as a cover crop that keeps deer fed while the clovers are getting started. Rain is rarely a serious impediment to planting in the fall and weeds are never a problem. That said we did have some beautiful planting weather this April and I was able to establish some white clover using oats and a mix of annual clovers as cover crops. The berseem and crimson clovers start quickly along with the oats and again, keep deer fed while the slower growing white clover becomes established. The oats an annual clovers also help hold back weeds although they may still be a problem in which case clipping the tops just above the clover will help.

A spring mix then might look something like this...

Welter Seed is a great source for all types of clover seeds, all of which they will sell by the pound so it is not necessary to purchase more then you need but always check locally to avoid shipping charges. Alice and KopuII are two of my favorites but there are many many varieties of white intermediate and ladino clovers available today.

Spring is also a time when perennial cool season grasses love to invade our clover plots....

c1-5.jpg

but grasses are easy to deal with by spraying clethodim and crop oil to safely nuke the grasses without harming the clovers.

I use 8 ounces of clethodim and 1 quart of crop oil per acre which will smoke your grasses and they will vanish in roughly 2 weeks. Rural King has the best price that I am aware of, even with shipping costs I have been unable to find it for less elsewhere....

Cropsmart Clethodim

A gallon will last most people for a number of years and can be used to kill grasses in almost any broadleaf crop or trees. Crop oil is available at most ag co-op's or simply add a little dawn dish soap to the mix.

Note*** clethodim will not harm seedling clovers but remember it will kill oats if they are part of the mix.

I usually add a "smidge" of glyphosate which of course carries some degree of risk, but clovers are very gly resistant especially in the spring when they are not under stress. 8-12 ounces per acre has worked well for me to clean up other invading plants without causing severe injury or death to the clovers. Usually it takes nearly two quarts of gly per acre to kill a healthy stand of white clover so knowing that a adding a small amount is usually safe yet effective. ;)

That seems like a lot of seed per an acre, no?

That seems like a lot of seed per an acre, no?
in reference to this mix....

50-60#'s of oats
6-10#'s white clover
10# berseem
10#' crimson
White clover is fairly slow to establish so even expensive mixes like Imperial Whitetail Clover use 33% berseem because it grows quickly and helps suffocate weeds and feeds deer while the white clover is growing underneath.

Certainly if one has budget concerns you can use no or less of the annual clovers (berseem and crimson) but remember they are annual clovers and will not return, leaving only the white clovers in subsequent years.

Berseem sowed alone is planted at 10-20#'s per acre, crimson sowed alone is sown at 20-30#'s per acre. So the mix above is just a "dbltree concoction" and you can mix and match as you wish ;)

Yes, just mowing weeds. Clover is just getting started. I have mowed both plots at least 3 times. Doing my best to give it a chance.

Spring...a beautiful time of re-birth as nature bursts to life but also a stressful time for those trying to get crops planted. Often we attempt to plant clover in the spring but when jet streams park themselves in the right place causing never ending spring rain fall, planting and caring for clover can be stressful as well.

It is for that reason I prefer to establish clovers in the fall with winter rye to avoid the stress of dealing with wet spring weather and the ensuing flush of weed growth that can sometimes be impossible to deal with, without tearing up fields.

My clovers have been growing since last September, tiny at best last fall but now off and running this spring safely tucked in below the rye cover...

rnc2.jpg

rnc7.jpg

In some cases I planted red clover with the rye but then frost seeded white clover...note the difference in the plant size

rnc4.jpg

The frost seeded white clovers are coming up nicely

rnc3.jpg

and soon I'll spray the rye with clethodim, but at the moment it's shading out weeds

rnc5.jpg

Rye and clover go together like peanut butter and jelly! Together they provide year around food sources that help adapt deer to coming to our feeding areas all year long. Be certain to plant ALL in one field rather then rye in one and clover in another for instance

rnc6.jpg

The following is an example of a combination of crops that works perfectly together, easily rotated and easy to plant regardless if you have ATV equipment or larger implements and it can be planted in anything from a garden sized plot to a 10 acre field.

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, KopuII, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, in odd areas, corners or simply divide the plot with clover strips. Soil test for best results but 400#'s of 6-24-24 and 400#'s of pel lime will get most soils into shape. Plant 6-10#'s per acre

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, use 400#'s 6-24-24 and 200#'s urea for best yields. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring.

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September add 100-200#'s of urea if heavy grazing is expected.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

My berseem planted in late march is coming on like gang busters! Survived the frost. Oats are 4-5". The alice white is slow to show itself. Is this common?

My berseem planted in late march is coming on like gang busters! Survived the frost. Oats are 4-5". The alice white is slow to show itself. Is this common?

Pretty typical, white clover always takes a little longer to grow. One of the main reasons why people will plant some of type of nursery crop with them like DT's Rye and Clover mixture or Oats and Clover.

You should be fine, your Berseem will definitely help it as well. You can at least see it through the soil though, correct? It takes a little longer to develop a roots system.

Paul,

In your last post you talk about spraying the rye/clover with Clethodim.

I usually just till mine under and then replant to my next crop (brassicas, etc. )

When would I spray with Clethodim if I went this route?

Thank you.

Tilling it under is fine Tony, bust some of what I have posted is in a perennial white clover seeding so I prefer to spray the rye to give the clover some light.

When the rye is planted solely as a cover crop you can leave it standing til you disc it under if you wish....lot's of options :way:

Paul,

In your last post you talk about spraying the rye/clover with Clethodim.

I usually just till mine under and then replant to my next crop (brassicas, etc. )

When would I spray with Clethodim if I went this route?

Thank you.

Tilling it under is fine Tony, bust some of what I have posted is in a perennial white clover seeding so I prefer to spray the rye to give the clover some light.

When the rye is planted solely as a cover crop you can leave it standing til you disc it under if you wish....lot's of options :way:

Sounds like a good option.

I also have Alice White in there. That way maybe it won't be so bad when I cut it and till it under for the brassicas.

Checked clover yesterday, it is starting to finally pop up above the surface. You can definitely tell the areas where I spilled some extra seed, like 5 feet of solid green patches!

Wanted to ask, is it too late to still drill oats into my clover with it just starting to pop up? Would it damage the clover?

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a small clover plot I frost seeded in April over a turnip and rape plot form last fall. It has came in quite well but the rape never died off due to a mild winter. What can I do to help the clover, besides expensive herbacide?
cloverplot.jpg

Shall i mow it off nice and short?

Top Bottom