Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Clover perimeters

We generally leave a 16' wide plot perimeter in white clover and deer usually keep it grazed despite other plentiful food sources as you can see here. Actual width can vary but best to pick a width that accommodates your equipment.

that in essence creates a paved highway for rutting bucks circling the food in search of...

They aren't interested in food but rather the quickest/fastest way from point A to point B...

...and across as many doe runways as possible

By edge feathering to block off multiple runways and giving them a narrow, easy to follow edge to follow...

...we enhance opportunities to encounter a mature buck, well within bow range.

We use a mix of common but dependable, graze and drought resistant white clovers, none of which are expensive nor come in a pretty bag and deer eagerly eat it from April to January. Clovers are versatile forages but planted in the right ways can lead whitetails right past your stand to boot.... ;)

I sprayed round up on Sept 1st on 3 acres of old pasture. I only had time to plant 1 acre in the rye clover mix on September 8th that worked well. The other two acres were not planted but had a complete kill and I bush hogged it as short as possible in late October.

I want to frost seed Alice White clover on the unplanted 2 acres in late Feb / early March with the left over seed I already purchased. Normally you recommend 6 lbs per acre. Do you recommend planting at a higher rate for frost seeding?

Last edited:
I sprayed round up on Sept 1st on 3 acres of old pasture. I only had time to plant 1 acre in the rye clover mix on September 8th that worked well. The other two acres were not planted but had a complete kill and I bush hogged it as short as possible in late October.

I want to frost seed Alice White clover on the unplanted 2 acres in late Feb / early March with the left over seed I already purchased. Normally you recommend 6 lbs per acre. Do you recommend planting at a higher rate for frost seeding?

8-10 lbs is better when frost seeding Andy, some seed may be lost for various reasons so a little more seed is advisable...;)

Clover kill spots

A small, even garden sized patch of clover can have the potential to be a dynamite harvest spot, especially during the rut. Here's an example of an inside corner that is a natural funnel and we opened the gate that allows deer easy access to crop fields.

We cut down a few locust trees last year, tilled what we could, planted the rye mix and a mix of red and white clover shown as the green area on the drawing. The following pics are just a few of hundreds from Nov 1st to Dec 10th

During the rut bucks may pay little attention to the clover itself

but it becomes a focal point and staging area where they feel safe during daylight hours

Like many such spots, it's primarily used by does and fawns until the rut

Then bucks begin snooping around...

The open gateway to the corn/soybean rotation crop fields is an open invitation to enter the field here vs jumping the fence

Because does are habituated to traveling to corner...it's a no-brainer that bucks will follow in hot pursuit...

Does will almost always feed on the clover even with crops present

All of these are walking within 15 yards of a stand

Regardless of season/weapon choice an easy, close range ethical is possible, if it be thinning does...

or harvesting a good buck

also a great spot to call in a long beard in the spring

as the rut winds down, bucks start to think about food once again

by early December we had temps near zero and the clover starts to fade

but deer commonly dig thru the snow for the hardy white clovers we plant

On consultations from NE to IL and MN to MO, we have had the opportunity to observe many varieties of white clovers in different soils and situations. Whitetails eagerly feed on them all, the difference is in drought and disease resistance, stolon stamina and degree of winter tolerance/dormancy...look close at your clovers in winter and very early spring. Varieties like Will, Alice, KopuII and others bred for intense grazing by livestock under difficult conditions will persist while more expensive seed marketed for deer, may...not.

Do some scouting and find that small, hidden spot for a patch of clover...perhaps an unused odd corner of an ag field or just inside an old over grown pasture. A backpack sprayer and a small hand seeder make a small clover plot possible on almost any budget... :way:

Paul,

The pictures and drawing you just posted look exactly like a spot I hunted this year. I know I have said I want to put a foodplot in but I am definitely going to next year in this spot. I got tons of trail camera pictures of bucks and does moving though this pinch and it sounds like taking out this grass and putting a small clover/rye plot will be dynamite!

Here is the view of it - it is a pinch between a field edge and creek
1240194_10201565475354587_473018698_n.jpg

This is what it looks like (im not sure what type of grass it is). I'm assuming gly to kill it off in the summer?
1174651_10201560720915729_1726418823_n.jpg

View from my stand
1463964_10201971420822970_543093666_n.jpg

January 7th, 2014

Deer at far right are feeding on white clover planted apple orchard despite a plethora of other crops, including corn and soybean stubble

Still digging thru snow for the clover beneath...

We do not now nor ever use expensive highly advertised clover seed yet on every farm we manage across Iowa and Missouri, whitetails hammer the common white clovers we plant. We consistently attract and hold deer, mature 170+ bucks from high profile TV celebrities whose land surrounds our clients and we do it with Alice, KopuII, Domino, Will and others

Whitetails are opportunistic and readily feed on alfalfa that is bred for livestock and clover is no different...plant 2 varieties and they may choose one over another. Take one away and they will eat whatever is available...your choice, your money... ;)

Paul,

What's the best way to transition a portion of a brassica plot to white clover? Will discing it up now and then frost seeding it work, or is there a better way? I'm trying to get my "10% of clover" in my Dbltree rotation.

Thanks for all of your advice & input. You and your family are in our prayers.

Steve

Paul,

What's the best way to transition a portion of a brassica plot to white clover? Will discing it up now and then frost seeding it work, or is there a better way? I'm trying to get my "10% of clover" in my Dbltree rotation.

Thanks for all of your advice & input. You and your family are in our prayers.

Steve

You can try simply frost seeding in late March but brassicas have allelopathic chemicals that can inhibit small seeds from germinating. Better to till/plant in early spring with oats and mix of crimson and white clover.

We establish white clover in the fall with rye mix.

Mid winter clover

A friend took this pic from his spotting scope of deer pouring into his white clover fire break....

It's early Feb., these deer are passing up foodplots that include standing soybeans!! The clover is ordinary white clover, nothing fancy or expensive and was frost seeded 3 years ago.

White clover is one of the most versatile crops we can plant that can feed deer nearly yearly year around and for those reasons we include it in every feeding area.

The clovers mentioned below are just suggestions, Durana is better for southern states and Alice northern states but there are many other great clovers to choose from...

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6-8#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28

Frost seeding

Just a reminder that depending on where you live right now is the perfect time to frost seed both red and white clover. We usually increase rates about 20% when frost seeding and set your spreader low and travel both ways for good coverage ( north / south and then east / west for example ) Use fresh inoculate if possible and apply seed in the early morning while ground is frozen and firm.

Iowa Missouri hybrids(319) 293-3114 in Kesauqua, Iowa carries both individual varieties as well as a blend of great clovers and fresh inoculate, they will pre-mix and ship.

Welter Seed and North Woods Whitetails are more great sources but always check your local sources to avoid shipping changes if you can ;)

Frost seeding Just a reminder that depending on where you live right now is the perfect time to frost seed both red and white clover. We usually increase rates about 20% when frost seeding and set your spreader low and travel both ways for good coverage ( north / south and then east / west for example ) Use fresh inoculate if possible and apply seed in the early morning while ground is frozen and firm. Iowa Missouri hybrids(319) 293-3114 in Kesauqua, Iowa carries both individual varieties as well as a blend of great clovers and fresh inoculate, they will pre-mix and ship. Welter Seed and North Woods Whitetails are more great sources but always check your local sources to avoid shipping changes if you can ;)

I have a clover, alfalfa, rape, and turnip blend I would like to plant this year. Can that be frost seeded? I also have a clover/chicory mix I'm wondering if I can frost seed. Thanks for all the great info!

I have a clover, alfalfa, rape, and turnip blend I would like to plant this year. Can that be frost seeded? I also have a clover/chicory mix I'm wondering if I can frost seed. Thanks for all the great info!

You do not frost seed any of those except clover. I am not sure about Chicory. Rape and turnips are not meant to be planted this time of year either so wait on those. Frost seed your clovers now and you'll be in good shape.

1) Never mix clover/alfalfa with brassicas (rape / turnips ) they compete with each other resulting in a poor crop of each. This is why I discourage the use of commercial mixes which often incompatible crops.

2) Brassicas should be planted mid July, earlier planting means they would mature, go to seed and become unpalatable to whitetails

3) alfalfa is very difficult to manage for small plotters unless you can cut and bale it and it doesn't frost seed well

4) Clover and chicory are perfect to frost and compatible species to plant as a mix

Update.

Went out to the plot today. Pleasantly surprised at how quickly it's starting to green up. Lots of little clover popping up all over the place. Winter rye is really springing back to life quickly as well. Thanks Dbltree!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom