Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Would there be any reason / benefit to throwing down some fertilizer? I fertilized as per soil tests last summer, but haven't done anything since.

If so, what should I put down and how much per acre?

Steve

Would there be any reason / benefit to throwing down some fertilizer? I fertilized as per soil tests last summer, but haven't done anything since.

If so, what should I put down and how much per acre?

Steve

Best to soil test but 200# of 6-24-24 won't hurt

Spraying clover

A friend of mine sent a picture of his southern Alabama white clover

Sure looks a lot different then ours and northern plots are likely covered with snow, so use common sense regarding when to spray ;)

We use the following mix in late May to early June here in SE Iowa

12-16 ounces clethodim
6-8 ounces glyphosate
1 qt crop oil
per acre

Clethodim source

Crop oil source

Check label because some CO is concentrated requiring ounces instead of quarts.......

How soon can a guy plant Crimsom clover in SE Iowa??
Thanks

Mid April, crimson is a little more cold tolerant then berseem.

Both crimson and berseem are summer annuals, we use them as a cover crop planted with oats to follow the spent brassicas. Deer love them and they put down roughly 100#'s nitrogen per acre, more then enough for the crop of rye, oats, peas and radish mix to follow ;)

spraying clover

Doubletree, if I overseed existing clover plots now will spraying with cleo/glypho in may/june kill the new seeding, otherwise I was thinking of waiting to spray until early may, then overseed hoping for good weather. Thanks

Doubletree, if I overseed existing clover plots now will spraying with cleo/glypho in may/june kill the new seeding, otherwise I was thinking of waiting to spray until early may, then overseed hoping for good weather. Thanks

If it were mine and the stand was decent to begin with, you may get away without a spray & just a mow if it's choking out weeds well - which a lot of clover plots started before will do, especially if overseeded now which is going to help more. If it were mine, I'd likely go with the crop oil & clethodim only on new seed if it were mainly grass weeds. You may be ok with just some mowing though. This will also depend on if you do happen to get a lot of broadleaf weeds in there too.

Just skip the gly and you'll be fine

Quote: 12-16 ounces clethodim
6-8 ounces glyphosate
1 qt crop oil per acre

Is late April too early to use this spray mixture?

Quote: 12-16 ounces clethodim
6-8 ounces glyphosate
1 qt crop oil per acre

Is late April too early to use this spray mixture?

I'll probably be all right but I prefer to let the clover get a little more growth before spraying

im going to be planting a strip of clover next to the timber next weekend, im going to be planting oats with it as well, i aslo have some field peas left over from last year, could I plant some of those as well? or would it just be a waste

im going to be planting a strip of clover next to the timber next weekend, im going to be planting oats with it as well, i aslo have some field peas left over from last year, could I plant some of those as well? or would it just be a waste

You could add the peas if you wish

Fall seeded clover

John Komp of Northwoods Whitetails sent a picture of red clover coming up in his rye

Scott cleaned up leftover ladino and crimson clover seed and sowed it with his rye last fall

Perfect time to spray clover and rye / clover plots with the following

12-16 ounces clethodim
6-10 ounces glyphosate
1 qt crop oil
per acre
* caution use gly only on healthy established white and red clover

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6-8#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28

couldnt find it in this thread, I planted some clover the 1st of may, dint get rain until the 10th or 12th, when can i spray for weeds and grass? the weeds and grass r taking over, this will be just a clover plot, not gonna plant anything else, and yes i know i should have done a fall plant but the last 2 years have been so dry in the fall, that we planted and never got rain

couldnt find it in this thread, I planted some clover the 1st of may, dint get rain until the 10th or 12th, when can i spray for weeds and grass? the weeds and grass r taking over, this will be just a clover plot, not gonna plant anything else, and yes i know i should have done a fall plant but the last 2 years have been so dry in the fall, that we planted and never got rain

You can spray clethodim for grasses anytime then clip weeds as needed while the clover is becoming established.

What would be a good herbicide to kill ragweed in a new clover plot and not affect the clover, or is mowing the best option?

Top Bottom