Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hawkeyes

You know it's a great season when people are truly knit picking each win and finding issues- 12-0. I hope they get 3 more wins this year just as ugly :)

I agree but we also didn't air it out trying to make something happen on 3rd downs in the windy and cold conditions and give it away.

Exactly. It was the right call IMO. Stay safe. The numbers didn't look good but how much do the numbers matter if you win? People keep saying we don't deserve to be talked about because we don't have any big time athletes like Clemson or Bama. Ohio State lost and Elliot whines about play calling and says he's going to the NFL (Was that a big baby I quit rant?). Is that what a big time athlete brings to the team? If so I don't want them. I agree with him on the play calling but there is a time and place man. And people can hate on the Hawks because of the schedule. That's fine I understand that. But really no matter who you play it is hard to put together 12-0. We aren't the best team. But we are a solid disciplined team that seems to figure out a way to win. Yes we got lucky with 4 interceptions yesterday but anyone can have the same luck. We may play the B1G championship game and get our ass handed to us - or we might just pull it off. Yesterday wasn't a beautiful win and probably wouldn't pass the "eye test" on ESPN but it was another W and we'll take it. I'm proud to be a Hawkeye. :D

Everyone says no big wins, I consider Nebraska a big win. They beat Michigan St who then goes on to beat Ohio St. I'm not saying we are better than either of those two, but Nebby was a big win for the Hawks. If they show up and play their game I don't think there is a team in the country that will blow Iowa out. They're too disciplined, have a good running game, a solid defense, and a QB who finds ways to win. Bring on whoever wins the other side of the Big 10.

Everyone says no big wins, I consider Nebraska a big win. They beat Michigan St who then goes on to beat Ohio St. I'm not saying we are better than either of those two, but Nebby was a big win for the Hawks. If they show up and play their game I don't think there is a team in the country that will blow Iowa out. They're too disciplined, have a good running game, a solid defense, and a QB who finds ways to win. Bring on whoever wins the other side of the Big 10.

Nebraska is very, very bad this year. Like it or not, the committee wants to see top 25 wins. Iowa has one and that win doesn't make you say 'WOW' like the wins of many other teams. Iowa is walking a fine line, if the hawks win the Big 10, they are in the playoff. If they don't the committee will absolutely hammer them. 12-0 is a great accomplishment but knocking around some of the worst teams in the Big 10 doesn't do you any favors in the eyes of the committee.

The whole big ten is down this year. No one team has shown its the cream of the crop. Records aside I have not seen one team that really impressed me. Most have had an impressive game or two.

It's gonna be a close game. Iowas defense is gonna have to show up. I think our secondary will do their job and the defense will step up big. I'm taking Iowa by 10 because of our ability to establish the run and then work play action into the game. King will get his pick in this game.

I hope he comes back but I doubt he will. Ott is trying to get a medical redshirt and apparently that is sounding optimistic so he wants to be a Hawk again and get his draft stock back up there. If they both come back next year could be another amazing year.

Nebraska is very, very bad this year. Like it or not, the committee wants to see top 25 wins. Iowa has one and that win doesn't make you say 'WOW' like the wins of many other teams. Iowa is walking a fine line, if the hawks win the Big 10, they are in the playoff. If they don't the committee will absolutely hammer them. 12-0 is a great accomplishment but knocking around some of the worst teams in the Big 10 doesn't do you any favors in the eyes of the committee.

Two top 25 wins.
Wisconsin and NW both on the road.

How many wins does Alabama have against top 25 teams?

One, versus Wisconsin who is one of our two top 25 victories.

Georgia was 8th, Texas A&M was 9th, LSU was 2nd, Mississippi State was 17th, and Wisconsin was 20th. All have drastically fallen off though since they lost to Alabama.

Bottom line is if Iowa can beat Michigan State to win the Big Ten they are in regardless of how many top 25 teams they have beat. They are a solid team so they should have a chance. Hope they can do it.

5 and 6 after this next weekend, anymore ?s

Might have been ranked at the time, but definitely not all are ranked now. Wisconsin, LSU, and Ole Miss are still rated according to the coaches poll. And for all the SEC fans, you better hope Alabama takes care of business this weekend or you might not have a team in the playoffs. I know Iowa is a win and in team. As long as they keep taking care of business they will show that it had nothing to do with the schedule they played.

Two top 25 wins.
Wisconsin and NW both on the road.

At the time I posted Wisconsin wasn't in the top 25. My point is, Iowa not having a OSU, Michigan St, or Michigan on their schedule hurts them. Add a very weak non-conference schedule and it becomes very hard to get respect.

12-0 is a great season regardless of who you play to get there.

Last edited:

Bama will face it's fourth team currently in the AP top 25 when they face Florida. Not to mention the handful of teams that are still receiving votes in the AP poll. Clemson would've been a better choice for your argument, as they are also getting ready to play their 3rd top 25 team. However, the difference between Iowa and Clemson is Clemson has that 'WOW' win against ND.

Like I've said 12-0 is a GREAT accomplishment. But to put it nicely, Iowa's schedule sucked.

It will take both defense and offense to play well to MSU, but they've had issues too this year so you never know. I say Hawks by 9.

All this crap is ridiculous. Just something to give all the talking heads something to fill the air waves with. This year ANY one team from a major conference that went unbeaten and wins their conference would be in. All this crap about strength of schedule and a top 25 wins has no real bearing on the situation. With all the other teams having 1 loss the Hawks record deserves to be respected. We've known all along that they would have to win out to get in. If they do that they're in and rightly so.

Georgia was 8th, Texas A&M was 9th, LSU was 2nd, Mississippi State was 17th, and Wisconsin was 20th. All have drastically fallen off though since they lost to Alabama.

Bottom line is if Iowa can beat Michigan State to win the Big Ten they are in regardless of how many top 25 teams they have beat. They are a solid team so they should have a chance. Hope they can do it.

Bama will face it's fourth team currently in the AP top 25 when they face Florida. Not to mention the handful of teams that are still receiving votes in the AP poll. Clemson would've been a better choice for your argument, as they are also getting ready to play their 3rd top 25 team. However, the difference between Iowa and Clemson is Clemson has that 'WOW' win against ND.

Like I've said 12-0 is a GREAT accomplishment. But to put it nicely, Iowa's schedule sucked.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. They need to be currently ranked. I missed LSU. So they've beat two currently ranked. They beat the 23 and 25th ranked teams and got beat by the 16th ranked team at home. We've beat the #13 and #25 teams on the road. It all means nothing I just get sick of people assuming Alabama is great. They're probably the weakest of the top 4.

Last edited:
It's a lose/lose situation for the Hawks/BIG 10 in the eyes of the rest of the nation. Last year Ohio st ran the table in the BIG 10 and all the talk before the playoff selection was that the BIG 10 was having a down year. A weak conference. The reason being that Ohio st lost to a mediocre va tech team and then went undefeated in the big ten. We all know what Ohio st did in the playoffs. Even if Iowa played Ohio st, mich st, or Michigan in the regular season and managed to win there would still be doubters. Iowa has done what they needed to do to put themselves in the situation they are in. Even if Iowa does manage to win next week there will still be talk about wether or not they deserve it. That's just all part of being in the big 10. Oklahoma? Great strength of schedule because of the big 12 right? Then what's up with the lose to Texas? Alabama is another team with a great strength of schedule right? What about the hiccup against ole miss? Clearly games both teams should have won no matter what their strength of schedule. Then there's Clemson with the "WOW" factor win over Notre Dame? Take a look at Notre Dames schedule and tell me how there is any "WOW" involved with beating them?

Point is it's tough to win every game no matter what your schedule is. Two teams in the top 4 have done it and that is why they are in the position they are in. GO HAWKS!

Top Bottom