Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting blinds?

newfarmer

If you could buy a blind tomorrow- what’s a better quality one? The wife gave me the go ahead to get one to be used for youth in the future- her when it’s cold. We primarily bow hunt but guns aren’t ruled out. I was going to build one- but not sure I have the time with some major projects happening at work

I have hunted/filmed out of a variety of the popular blind companies out there right now. My favorites are Grizzly Hunting Blind & Muddy - Penthouse. Not cheap but I believe you get what you pay for with hunting blinds. Radix has an affordable new blind out but is a little smaller than those two listed. Hope this helps!

Banks or Grizzly are what we sell and get along great with both - I've sold other brands in the past that i refuse to sell now due to so many issues - check out how long the company has been building blinds and what the warranty is before you purchase.

My order from the ones I've hunted out of would be Banks first followed by grizzly. Then a newer redneck. Don't care for older ones. No go on the muddy.

I bought a Maverick 6 shooter this year. It was considerably less expensive than some of the others. I will admit that it isn't the quality of some of the others either. I cut cost up front, but did put in sound proofing foam and am going to change some things like how the windows open (currently drop down but changing to side hinge). I also built a stand/base for it. So far, during archery and shotgun, it has been fantastic.

I bought a Maverick 6 shooter this year. It was considerably less expensive than some of the others. I will admit that it isn't the quality of some of the others either. I cut cost up front, but did put in sound proofing foam and am going to change some things like how the windows open (currently drop down but changing to side hinge). I also built a stand/base for it. So far, during archery and shotgun, it has been fantastic.
I looked at them, but worried about the quality since I know I wont have much time over the next few/4ish years to really accomplish my extra projects.
Thanks everyone for the insight- I actually originally thought a Muddy but glad I am getting all of this input. I will keep doing research

Not gonna lie. I went the cheap route this year just to get the 4 year old out with me. This is his blind. Got it for $550 the Saturday after Thanksgiving sale at Fleet Farm have a box 700 in it right now. Tried to do it cheap and it will work just fine but definitely not quality. I added insulation between the side and top pieces to help wind proof and keep water out. Hopefully it will last a few years.

Attachments

• 23FBD6F3-140D-4FB2-B982-1C2204AE86C1.jpeg
    23FBD6F3-140D-4FB2-B982-1C2204AE86C1.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 36
I have Shadow Hunters, 360 hard sides and Redneck. I rate them Redneck , 360 , Shadow Hunter last. If I was buying tomorrow it would be Redneck.

Maverick 6 shooter this year. It was considerably less expensive than some of the others. I will admit that it isn't the quality of some of the others either. I cut cost up front, but did put in sound proofing foam and am going to change some things like how the windows open (currently drop down but changing to side hinge).
I have a few of the maverick blinds. The maverick windows are horrible in my opinion but I remedied that by cutting out openings and framing them and putting in vertical sliders. They range in size from the outside edges of two of those precut windows to the outside edge of 4 of them by as tall as the openings are they come with.

The vision from blind is much better than before. There is very little space between the windows now, Its much more panoramic now. They are all on platforms from 10 to 14' off of ground and have trap door entries. They have been made fairly close to scent free. It is rare to get pegged by deer from downwind. They have allowed us to hunt spots when the wind was very iffy. The biggest deer we have taken have been taken from these blinds.

The mr buddy heaters cant stay running in them because of their sensors, it is so air tight. If you have time and ability to build the windows/install you'll be in fine shape hunting out of these.

I can confirm that Banks are a good buy, I have three of those...definitely stay away from Grizzly though. I bought one of those and I really regret it. Don't know about the others though.

Daver what issues did you have with Grizzly? I know 2 guys that favor them over Rednecks.

I have 3 rednecks, and I'm not sure i would buy from them again. They pop loud as you shift weight in them(mainly the 10 footers) and leak water thru the windows really bad. I have nothing to compare the rednecks to, so I'll see what everyone says on this topic.

Daver what issues did you have with Grizzly? I know 2 guys that favor them over Rednecks.
The windows, when fully closed, leak in pretty bad around the factory seal when it is raining. (See pic)

When opened and while hunting in the rain, the shape of the blind at the top of the window runs rain right into the blind...almost like it was designed to do so. :) (Think waterfall. :) ) I don't consider these blinds to be waterproof, at all. (We intend to install "after market" drip edge, and maybe even small eaves, above the windows to combat these issues.)

The windows that open "up" don't hold their position and fall back closed right now. There is nowhere to hook or clip them in place so they stay open. We temporarily "hill billyed" a system to hold these windows open for this fall with strings and screws, etc, but it isn't at all something I would have expected to have to do to make something that costs that much work in basic function.

I feel like I am forgetting something, I haven't hunted out of it in a couple of months now. But I am not a fan of them...at all.

Attachments

• Grizzly blind.jpg
    Grizzly blind.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 47
The windows, when fully closed, leak in pretty bad around the factory seal when it is raining. (See pic)

When opened and while hunting in the rain, the shape of the blind at the top of the window runs rain right into the blind...almost like it was designed to do so. :) (Think waterfall. :) ) I don't consider these blinds to be waterproof, at all. (We intend to install "after market" drip edge, and maybe even small eaves, above the windows to combat these issues.)

The windows that open "up" don't hold their position and fall back closed right now. There is nowhere to hook or clip them in place so they stay open. We temporarily "hill billyed" a system to hold these windows open for this fall with strings and screws, etc, but it isn't at all something I would have expected to have to do to make something that costs that much work in basic function.

I feel like I am forgetting something, I haven't hunted out of it in a couple of months now. But I am not a fan of them...at all.
is is a new 2022 blind or an older model ? - Grizzly redesigned the blinds and they were quite a bit different this year from past models.

Not that this Information is helpful in deciding but it Seems to me having 2 different brands (redneck and grizzly) that they all have issues and things I would change about them. Also been around banks and snipers quite a bit. None of them are as nice as sitting in my house or shop yet they are nicer than sitting in a tree stand especially when it is cold or windy. Id buy what you can afford and from someone you like doing business with.

Top Bottom