Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native Warm Season Grass

If you have CRP that you seeded during last years drought and the seeding did not survive....consider the following options:

Contact your FSA/NRCS office for more details and to arrange an inspection of fields

Boy, that sounds like quail/pheasant heaven if its full of annual weeds. :way:

September 13th 2013

Fred has his brome/fescue all mowed but needs some rainfall to spur new growth before spraying

Fall is always the best time to kill CSG because they are drawing root reserves and this helps make the glyphosate even more lethal. Use 2 quarts gly and 1 qt crop oil for a good kill but remember, fescue seed is laying there dormant and a second spring spraying in mid April is wise.

This will be a NWSG CP-25 mix which means Oust or atrazine can not be used, Plateau/Panoramic is an option but you must request a Plateau tolerant seed mix. Mowing 8-12" high the 1st year as needed will suffice to control weeds and then a follow up gly application can be used the 2nd spring before natives begin to grow.

Single species like switchgrass and big bluestem have more options including 1 ounce of Oust with gly in the fall and gly and atrazine the following spring. The key to a successful NWSG stand is getting a good kill on CSG's beforehand so make prep work job 1 !!

These are pictures of 3 yr old NWSG that was dormant seeded in early December

Late fall into early December is a great time to establish native prairie grasses to avoid wet spring delays and winter snows help to insure seed/soil contact as well as stratifying any hard dormant seed

NRCS approves seeding dates for CRP NWSG plantings and individuals may vary planting dates even in the spring. Jesse called our local NRCS tech to verify dormant seedings for several custom drilling jobs and his reply was "absolutely, some of the best seedings I have seen where dormant seeded...Nov 15th to freeze up"

If the ground was once prairie, it's amazing what simply spraying glyphosate will do! This is Big Bluestem that came up when the landowner sprayed an old pasture last fall...

Native warm season grass is the fastest way to establish outstanding wildlife cover on open ground...bucks and birds will thank you... ;)

Paul - I have three fairly small areas that I mowed in September and sprayed in October and they all appear to have a good kill on them. Can you drill over the killed sod now? I was going to broadcast switch this winter, but I think the drilling option would work better/faster.

If yes, then what is Jess doing next week? :)

Paul- I am broadcasting a pure stand of BB, for a May 1st first spray is 10 Oz of platuea all I need to spray per acre , no atrazine , no round up , no crop oil !!!! I want to make sure its cooked.. As well I can follow up with Platuea any time if un wanted species are present correct.

Thanks

Paul - I have three fairly small areas that I mowed in September and sprayed in October and they all appear to have a good kill on them. Can you drill over the killed sod now? I was going to broadcast switch this winter, but I think the drilling option would work better/faster.

If yes, then what is Jess doing next week? :)

Jess will be drilling NWSG now till freeze up Dave, give him a shout ;)

Paul- I am broadcasting a pure stand of BB, for a May 1st first spray is 10 Oz of platuea all I need to spray per acre , no atrazine , no round up , no crop oil !!!! I want to make sure its cooked.. As well I can follow up with Platuea any time if un wanted species are present correct.

Thanks

1st...I'm curious how you plan to "broadcast" BB? It's fluffy seed and nearly impossible to broadcast...

Has the area been sprayed this fall? Regardless add glyphosate to the Plateau/Panoramic to get a better burn down. If heavy clay type soil, 12-14 ounces will usually give better, season long control and Big Bluestem is very Plateau tolerant...:way:

Last time we worked with plateau the phd seemed surprised we would spray any more than 8 ounces per acre. It has been a fantastic product for us.

Last time we worked with plateau the phd seemed surprised we would spray any more than 8 ounces per acre. It has been a fantastic product for us.

Rates depend on many factors including soil type and plant species, Big Blue is very tolerant but switchgrass is not so 2-4 ounces max would be used if switchgrass is in the mix.

Label itself for most the species is up to 12 oz. I did some small experiment areas with higher rates of Plateau and had no trouble, far higher than the label rates called for in some little patches & had no issues.

Jess will be drilling NWSG now till freeze up Dave, give him a shout ;)

1st...I'm curious how you plan to "broadcast" BB? It's fluffy seed and nearly impossible to broadcast...

Has the area been sprayed this fall? Regardless add glyphosate to the Plateau/Panoramic to get a better burn down. If heavy clay type soil, 12-14 ounces will usually give better, season long control and Big Bluestem is very Plateau tolerant...:way:

Paul- The Traux seed slinger !!!!!!!:way: for fluffies !:D

Frost seeding

Hello, I am new to the site and really like all of the great information I have read. Last fall I hand collected a large amount do big bluestem seeds and would like to frost seed by hand soon. The are was in beans last summer so it is pretty clean and has a pretty firm seed bed.

My question is can someone take a look at this pic and tell me if I should be trying to shred these heads down or leave them as is. I don't want to ruin the seed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 370
If you can shuck the seeds loose you can cover a wider area, just cast them by hand on a windy day

Any tips on shucking? I am not really sure where the casing stops and the seed starts and don't want to ruin the seed.

Hello, I am new to the site and really like all of the great information I have read. Last fall I hand collected a large amount do big bluestem seeds and would like to frost seed by hand soon. The are was in beans last summer so it is pretty clean and has a pretty firm seed bed.

My question is can someone take a look at this pic and tell me if I should be trying to shred these heads down or leave them as is. I don't want to ruin the seed.

You need to break them down some to get better coverage. If they are dry, you should be able to kind of knead them with your hands to break them apart.

Thats what happens in winter when the stalks are blowing against each other anyways.

Yup - back in college I'd pick lots of prairie seeds, grasses and flowers and just use my hands to break them down. It'll wear blisters in your hands pretty quick! But it's worth it when you're walkin the NWSG stand in a few years!

I planted Big/little bluestem and some indian head in the summer of 2012. Anyone know if I should burn it this spring or wait another year.

I would wait another year. I personally prefer to burn the 4th season. Some do 3rd season but I personally would wait one more.

Top Bottom