Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Now that necked cartridges are lawful (min .35 - max .5) what will everyone be hunting with this year?

Thinking out loud….

Let’s take either side of any “bullet argument”…. Whether you’re FOR or AGAINST any bullet or weapon….

Why is this introduced to DEER SEASON? By a gun pushing group. It’s because all the money deer hunters spend & the $ in the sport. IFC cares INFINITELY about guns. IFC could CARE LESS ABOUT DEER!!!!

if it’s just 2nd amendment & gun rights issues….. why aren’t focusing & PAYING LOBBYISTS & USING USER DUES TO FOCUS ON THIS????……
Mix of serious issues mixed with goofy ironically insane ones….
-more gun programs for youth. More support for training & shooting ranges. More youth outreach to those without knowledge or exposure to firearms.
-Lobbying to allow Rimfires for pheasant season. (I know- insane. But WHY NOT while we’re at it!!!?!?!?!! ;) )
-or how about teaching gun safety in school, lobbying for that.
-smaller caliber rifles for bass fishing! Or .50 BMG Squirrel Season?!?!? (Goofing off)
-Short wall rifle legalization for turkeys. (Kidding but another stupid topic they should not have involvement in!! Like rifles & deer regs).
more serious…
-more 2nd amendment rights in iowa (whatever that is)
-“castle doctrine” approved in iowa.
-Advancements on self defense laws.

The list never ends…. Could go on in fun or seriousness FOREVER!!! & some of those issues im sure they do SOME with. Many they do nothing.

Why Don’t they promote QDMA practices (because they shouldn’t be involved with deer hunting!)
The list never ends…. Could go on in fun or seriousness FOREVER!!! & some of those issues im sure they do SOME with. Many they do nothing.

WHY IS IFC USING MEMBER DUES to pay for LOBBYISTS & their legal team to influence iowa politicians into legalizing RIFLES FOR DEER IN IOWA? In short- off the top of my head, thinking out loud….. one reason is a basic fundamental point I reiterate…. $ in deer. Biggest possible market to expand for gun sales - $ BOTTOM LINE: IFC cares only about guns & $. They care NOTHING ABOUT OUR STATES DEER RESOURCE!!!!!!!!!!

im sure Arec is trolling a bit & knew he’d get reaction…. Which is fine. Hes stepped it up a notch with some beliefs & points he has…. Fair enough. & I’m very happy & willing to debate point by point on this topic!!!!!
Here’s the problem when it comes to THIS TOPICS BOTTOM LINE…. TRUTH WINS & IFC screwed up!

Problem solved! Let's double the number of tags issued but restrict hunters to using only slingshots and no other methods of take.

There's nothing wrong with reducing the number of tags available if hunter success increases, or if the total number of hunters increases and thus more deer are harvested than anticipated, or if the deer herd population suffers from natural reasons.

Are you primarily a bowhunter?

Nope, I gun hunt more than I bow hunt. And I bird hunt more than I deer hunt.

So you don’t care about hunter opportunity. Your main argument for the new calibers. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my neighbors has a good sized deer camp for gun 1 season. A guy from Michigan comes down every year, whether he draws a tag or not, just to be with the guys. He is always amazed at the number of deer he sees. He always says he can hunt the whole season in Michigan and not see a buck, sometimes not even a deer in general. Don't think that can't happen to Iowa if we let them keep introducing new "methods of take".

Nope, I gun hunt more than I bow hunt. And I bird hunt more than I deer hunt.

So you don’t care about hunter opportunity. Your main argument for the new calibers. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New calibers like the .30-30? In America should we really be outlawing things Willy Nilly? Big government overreach is already pervasive enough.

Try your best to come up with a logical reason that the .30-30 shouldn’t be available to Iowa hunters during gun season.

New calibers like the .30-30? In America should we really be outlawing things Willy Nilly? Big government overreach is already pervasive enough.

Try your best to come up with a logical reason that the .30-30 shouldn’t be available to Iowa hunters during gun season.
I wouldn't consider it outlawing if it has never been allowed in the first place.
First logical reason that comes to mind is because then the list keeps growing. Next thing you know everyone will be hunting deer with a 6.8 Western or a 6.5PRC. I may be location biased and I've said it before but the area I hunt is mainly square mile sections. Getting within effective range of a deer with a shotgun or muzzleloader is a challenge. But with every change of the law it becomes easier and easier and the effects will start to show themselves

New meaning "not previously allowed", not "recently created". Anything other than 20, 16, and 12 gauge slugs and muzzleloaders are "new" to me. That was the Iowa gun season for decades and I believe is what it still should be.

Range of the 30-30 is quite a bit more than a slug. And, as soon as you add the 30-30, it is easy to add one with just a bit more range - which is the slippery slope. The line should have stayed very clear and never got outside slug guns and muzzy.

• Deleted by JNRBRONC
Show…
I did some checking and I was wrong!! They are only 10 shot capacity!! Same length as a .223 20 round I believe ! Sorry I miss spoke! I still stick with the 5 for hunting purposes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wow, miss a week, miss a lot.

If some one can post the new rules the NRC has made on this subject I'd like to see them. The legislation has indeed passed but I'm not 100% sure the NRC has made rules. I've been watching the NRC meeting agendas and haven't seen it on the agenda. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just means if it has I haven't seen them.

Wow, miss a week, miss a lot.

If some one can post the new rules the NRC has made on this subject I'd like to see them. The legislation has indeed passed but I'm not 100% sure the NRC has made rules. I've been watching the NRC meeting agendas and haven't seen it on the agenda. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just means if it has I haven't seen them.
I posted a link in Post #17.
But it only showed up as a numerical icon…
Click on it, and the page is there

I posted a link in Post #17.
But it only showed up as a numerical icon…
Click on it, and the page is there

That is a link to the legislation, I'm looking for a link to the administrative rules the legislation requires the NRC to make. Our friend Arec stated that the law was written pretty tight, and it was, but I'm hoping the NRC found a away through the rule making process that would allow conservationists to blunt the egregious over stepping of a non-conservation group.

I'll dig through the Administrative Rules and see if I can find something. I was hoping maybe someone had already done that, I was just being lazy.

Link to the Administrative Rules that the NRC made in response to HF716 that was signed by the Governor June 18th, 2020: LINK TO ADMINISTRATIVE RULES ENABLING HF7I6

Sections 5&6 pertain to rifles.

Copy and paste of 2021-2022 Hunting Regulations Booklet:

RIFLES: Rifles firing straight wall or other centerfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type bullet with a maximum diameter of no less than .350 of an inch and no larger than .500 of an inch and with a published or calculated muzzle energy of 500 foot pounds or higher is legal for hunting deer during the youth and disabled hunting season and first and second shotgun seasons. The following is a partial list of allowable cartridges that has generated the most questions on legality.

Cartridges meeting the criteria defined above are legal whether listed here or not.

.35 Whelen

.350 Legend

.358 Winchester

.375 Winchester

.40 S&W

.44 Magnum

.444 Marlin

.45 Long Colt

.45 Raptor

.450 Bushmaster

.450 Marlin

.45-70 Govt

.460 S&W

.500 S&W

I've said this in one way or another all along; I consider myself a conservationist hunter not a ballistics guru. With my limited understating of all things gun I fail to see why standard calibers like the .243, .270 .30-06 or the .308 are not on the list? Oh wait, I get it, everyone has at least one rifle in their cabinet in these calibers already. No way for gun manufactures to make any money if the law is passed to include the calibers that everyone already owns.

I liked the straight wall rule we had up until this season. I currently use a 44 mag lever gun during gun 2.
I don't know how many guys are going to run out and upgrade their straight wall gun to a .35 or larger necked gun (plus the larger amount of recoil).
There may be some who already have a .35 Remington Marlin that could get some use now. I think the same amount of deer will be taken during the gun seasons regardless of what weapons are legal. I started hunting gun 2 because of the straight wall rule, easier to carry a lever gun with pistol ammo than it is a 870 with slugs. Plus, my family eats a lot of meat. I try to do one western trip a year, so I get my high power rifle hunting in then. I do think we are headed towards legalizing all centerfire cartridges. As long as we can only bow hunt during the rut, our deer herd is safe in my mind. I understand being protective of the herd, but none of us own the deer. Enjoy the hunt.

I liked the straight wall rule we had up until this season. I currently use a 44 mag lever gun during gun 2.
I don't know how many guys are going to run out and upgrade their straight wall gun to a .35 or larger necked gun (plus the larger amount of recoil).
There may be some who already have a .35 Remington Marlin that could get some use now. I think the same amount of deer will be taken during the gun seasons regardless of what weapons are legal. I started hunting gun 2 because of the straight wall rule, easier to carry a lever gun with pistol ammo than it is a 870 with slugs. Plus, my family eats a lot of meat. I try to do one western trip a year, so I get my high power rifle hunting in then. I do think we are headed towards legalizing all centerfire cartridges. As long as we can only bow hunt during the rut, our deer herd is safe in my mind. I understand being protective of the herd, but none of us own the deer. Enjoy the hunt.

I suspect you're correct. It isn't long until the draconian caliber restrictions are removed all together.

The DNR has confirmed that necked cartridges are lawful for the upcoming hunting season (only requirement being .35 to .50 diameter, & 500+ foot lbs). It's crazy that we can run our 375 H&H but can't run our .30-30 or .243, but that's what you get when you let special interests and big government write the laws.

The DNR has confirmed that necked cartridges are lawful for the upcoming hunting season (only requirement being .35 to .50 diameter, & 500+ foot lbs). It's crazy that we can run our 375 H&H but can't run our .30-30 or .243, but that's what you get when you let special interests and big government write the laws.
Provide a link to support the statement that the DNR has confirmed necked cartridges are lawful?

I'd be careful throwing out that "special interest" rock.

Provide a link to support the statement that the DNR has confirmed necked cartridges are lawful?

I'd be careful throwing out that "special interest" rock.

2021 Lawful Cartridge Link

Which firearms are legal for 2021 deer hunting seasons?​

Legal firearms for the youth/disabled and shotgun 1 and 2 seasons include:
  • Pistols and revolvers (with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches)
  • Straight-wall and "necked-down" cartridge rifles shooting an expanding type bullet of at least .350 inches and no greater than .500 inches with at least 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following common calibers: .35 Whelen, .350 Legend, .358 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 Long Colt, .45 Raptor, .450 Bushmaster, .450 Marlin, .45-70 Govt, .460 S&W and .500 S&W.

2021 Lawful Cartridge Link

Which firearms are legal for 2021 deer hunting seasons?​

Legal firearms for the youth/disabled and shotgun 1 and 2 seasons include:
  • Pistols and revolvers (with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches)
  • Straight-wall and "necked-down" cartridge rifles shooting an expanding type bullet of at least .350 inches and no greater than .500 inches with at least 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following common calibers: .35 Whelen, .350 Legend, .358 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 Long Colt, .45 Raptor, .450 Bushmaster, .450 Marlin, .45-70 Govt, .460 S&W and .500 S&W.
Thanks for the link, I hadn't read that. I was still thinking it was straight wall.

I suspect you're correct. It isn't long until the draconian caliber restrictions are removed all together.

Your voicing some “confident & proud” support of any rifle across iowa in any caliber (so a 7mm, 30-06, .300 win mag) whatever …. Why? Are you a serious hunter? Which general region do you hunt and what’s the hunting pressure or hunting dynamics like for you during deer season? Gun drives or box hunting?
Do you believe iowa is a “better managed state” vs it’s neighbors for age balance, quality of herd, how it’s regarded across country amongst hunters?

If you’d be open or not, just so we speak honestly & respectfulfully…. Do you have any ties to gun groups, lobby or any kind of legislative involvement at at level for rifles during deer season ?

i will mutually answer any questions about my motivations or involvement if you have any.

Top Bottom