Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR party hunting to be eliminated

My neighbor who owns 360 at my fence- he is from MN, hates party hunting. My bro in law, lives in MN, owns 120 in Iowa, hates party hunting. My classmate, lives in MN and comes back to hunt his 40 with family is excited it’s not an option. I mean- I could keep going- as far as this post, there are non residents literally saying they think the loophole being closed is smart. Really not hard to go back through and see. ‍♂️
So they are just applying every 3-5 years? They are not coming down for the December gun season ??

I for one do not really care about nrs getting upset about closing the loophole. Draw odds don’t make sense to buy ground in Iowa to bow hunt anymore. So some use the loophole while waiting to draw and a lot claim residency illegally. And I do mean a lot. They have driven up the ground prices in Iowa exponentially and if you talk to any realtor the guys buying most of the farms are still NR and it’s been that way for many years. So yea I’m all for taking that pressure away.

I for one do not really care about nrs getting upset about closing the loophole. Draw odds don’t make sense to buy ground in Iowa to bow hunt anymore. So some use the loophole while waiting to draw and a lot claim residency illegally. And I do mean a lot. They have driven up the ground prices in Iowa exponentially and if you talk to any realtor the guys buying most of the farms are still NR and it’s been that way for many years. So yea I’m all for taking that pressure away.
I’ve said for many years your system has created a monster . Your exclusivity on tags has caused thousand of hunters to move to Iowa and then buy more land and more land once they get here.

I could name 20 just off the top of my head that probably have a thousand acres. It’s playing out exactly like I thought.

It’s not helping the locals, only if you get permission from one of them to hunt, or rent the ground.

I’ve said for many years your system has created a monster . Your exclusivity on tags has caused thousand of hunters to move to Iowa and then buy more land and more land once they get here.

I could name 20 just off the top of my head that probably have a thousand acres. It’s playing out exactly like I thought.

It’s not helping the locals, only if you get permission from one of them to hunt, or rent the ground.
But most I personally know don’t actually move here except for deer season.They just have enough money to afford an extra house in another state.

Please list one NR who has land in Iowa that is for the change ?
Im a NRLO and I’m fine with it, admittedly I don’t think it’s gonna make a huge difference in quality but I think every little thing helps. I also don’t feel the need to have to kill a buck every year, I’ll hunt when I have a tag and stagger that with friends and family when they draw, honestly killing something is 1% of the fun for me now. I hope everyone hits that point as it’s made it much more enjoyable for me.

Im a NRLO and I’m fine with it, admittedly I don’t think it’s gonna make a huge difference in quality but I think every little thing helps. I also don’t feel the need to have to kill a buck every year, I’ll hunt when I have a tag and stagger that with friends and family when they draw, honestly killing something is 1% of the fun for me now. I hope everyone hits that point as it’s made it much more enjoyable for me.
I can appreciate this take on it

I’ve read some of the posts on this topic. I never tried to figure out the party rules since they didn’t apply to me, even though I’m a non-resident and have hunted in Iowa for over 15 years. For the money I’ve spent for licenses, tags, I would have come out much better with party hunting it seems, and don’t blame others for taking advantage of the $$$.
I do wish our NR licenses allowed us to kill 2-3 does during the years the deer numbers seem to be too high.
I have a tag this year but just put in for a point last year.
Also, I think most NR hunters try to follow the law.

I understand Mark, that’s what I’ll do too.. I’ve called friends from Minnesota and my family and we are going to stagger hunts every year. My wife might even hunt .

We have Plan B in place.

• Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: D
Show…
It's been my observation that this clarification/change has majority support on the platforms and pages ive looked at. From public land weekend warriors to "serious" managers. Not everyone agrees, but certainly most.
I'm not denying this, as I said, I agree on this also. Not necessarily how it came down or the end product. An across the board no party hunting with a doe doe tag only, would have been more beneficial but then again, I don't elevate myself to the "master hunter" status.
Wasn't sneaking anything in or hidden agenda there.
I agree to this also, your agenda is quite clear, just read between the lines.
This isn't about me. It's about the future quality of the state.
It's for the children...right
I would support one less buck tag for everyone.
We need to take this down to one tag for everyone, after all, this is for the future of the state and our children's future.
It's the exact opposite of personal selfish desires.
You said it best right here...
It also takes a what some people might call a high level of selfishness to grow giant deer. Limiting hunting opportunities for friends and family comes to mind. There's no way around it. No one hunts my farms unless I'm sitting with them at this point. Only way to completely eliminate trigger mistakes. Is it crappy I won't let even my dad out by himself? I can definitely understand that POV. It takes what it takes.

Let me answer that question Rob...very crappy

I do beleive you are taking the context of my comments in a discussion that was about what it takes to grow a giant deer and warping them into somthing else. I just wanted to clear that up a bit.
No.

You will stop at nothing to rid every resident party hunter of what they have done for as long as I can remember. You seen the opening and you're taking it. And it won't just stop at party hunting.

I have been texting a big name realtor…

He says farms are going to be hitting the market big time. He had over 50 calls in the past few days… So get your checkbooks out !!!
IMG_5175.gif

I have been texting a big name realtor…

He says farms are going to be hitting the market big time. He had over 50 calls in the past few days… So get your checkbooks out !!!View attachment 127445
They'll rethink it. Probably start hunting heated blinds during late ML season over corn. I wonder what would cause more damage, late ML in heated blinds over corn or party hunting with the residents?

Please list one NR who has land in Iowa that is for the change ?
I am all for it. There is a reason the last few years doe tags were selling out in hours rather than weeks. My friend that is a NR but does not post here and has a sizable piece is all for it.

I'm not denying this, as I said, I agree on this also. Not necessarily how it came down or the end product. An across the board no party hunting with a doe doe tag only, would have been more beneficial but then again, I don't elevate myself to the "master hunter" status.

I agree to this also, your agenda is quite clear, just read between the lines.

It's for the children...right

We need to take this down to one tag for everyone, after all, this is for the future of the state and our children's future.

You said it best right here...
It also takes a what some people might call a high level of selfishness to grow giant deer. Limiting hunting opportunities for friends and family comes to mind. There's no way around it. No one hunts my farms unless I'm sitting with them at this point. Only way to completely eliminate trigger mistakes. Is it crappy I won't let even my dad out by himself? I can definitely understand that POV. It takes what it takes.

Let me answer that question Rob...very crappy

No.

You will stop at nothing to rid every resident party hunter of what they have done for as long as I can remember. You seen the opening and you're taking it. And it won't just stop at party hunting.
I "seen" an opening? Neat analysis.

I look forward to personally guiding my NR Dad on a hunt this fall and maybe getting my son his first deer. You do you.

They definitely need to release a statement though clarifying everything because I also got wind that they’re not gonna be enforcing it fully this year. How could that be something that can be a gray area? Either it starts effective now or push it back until next year.

The rules didn’t change. They just decided to enforce what was already there. The “loophole” was the fact that they weren’t enforcing the law as written. The law has been the same for many years.

If the ISP came out and said they were going to strictly enforce the speed limits, would that be a “change” to the law? No, they are just going to enforce the law as written.

I watched the video round tables and and they change nothing. If it was the ISP saying they wouldn’t write tickets for 5 over, and now they are, the law didn’t change. There was no loophole per se’. Complaining about the fact that the DNR is going to do what they were supposed to do is laughable. You can’t have it both ways.

I truly understand both sides here. I’ve got NR friends that come every year and it won’t change anything in that regard. None have ever used a R anysex tag. It’s more about getting together than a head on the wall. A couple come whether they have tags or not just for the camaraderie and enjoyment of seeing what the rest of us did. Have I seen it in other groups, yes. I’m sure it will still happen, but someone will get caught going home with a trophy that they didn’t tag and I hope the penalties are stiff enough to deter others.

I do have some sympathy for the NRLO’s but you can still hunt your ground every year. Possibly an anysex tag every other unless your stuck on bow hunting or in a popular zone. I think it was mentioned before but set the family up on a rotating schedule for the anysex tag. You, the spouse, the kids, especially the kids. Enjoy the time together and not make it about a wall hanger. They are all trophies if you look at it.

Lots of hearsay out there. That's classic government. Watch what they do and not what they say. Honestly, I would feel bad for the Non res who sells their property without waiting for the absolutes...it may not even come to be. Longshot but with all the chaos they have created now backing off with a warning(hearsay)anything could happen. They are probably doing it to satisfy the greatest Governor the state has ever seen. eww...where's the dislike button when you need it!

Lots of hearsay out there. That's classic government. Watch what they do and not what they say. Honestly, I would feel bad for the Non res who sells their property without waiting for the absolutes...it may not even come to be. Longshot but with all the chaos they have created now backing off with a warning(hearsay)anything could happen. They are probably doing it to satisfy the greatest Governor the state has ever seen. eww...where's the dislike button when you need it!

I heard 2 rumors yesterday from high ups..

DNR has now had to review with attorneys (mentioned the DNR round table video) that’s bad evidence for them !

More tags are gonna be offset the long wait .

# Don’t shoot the messenger this is not my idea/thoughts. Just what I heard. It’s from a top credible source.

Last edited:
Top Bottom