Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

For you guys fencing Corn , how long do you think a 1.5 acre plot would last if fence is down in October 1st .. I am planting next to a 40 acre corn field ..

For you guys fencing Corn , how long do you think a 1.5 acre plot would last if fence is down in October 1st .. I am planting next to a 40 acre corn field ..
Most years it will make it through the season just fine because the deer will prefer to feed in the picked field. If the snow gets deep, they'll hammer the plot.

Here’s the huge key on anything below about 2-3 acres…. Have to stop the weakest link….. might keep deer out (& be sure u do!!!!) but - u need to coons gone!!! It’s not that hard or terribly time consuming. Coons will pound the seed when you plant it. Then- the next phase is when the baby ears start. That’s the most important time…. When baby ears start until they are filled out- no coons will be a big difference. Those little devils could take out a whole plot if they are bad enough.
Coons are extinct on my farm. I’d say 1.5 acres would last into late Nov on my place. Guessing. I have a 4 acre corn plot that’s still got a lot of corn in there as of today. I’m guessing it makes it until February. If yields were better (no drought) - pry make it into march.

YOu guys feeling the same with beans or different ball game , never had grains on my farm ..

YOu guys feeling the same with beans or different ball game , never had grains on my farm ..
I did 2 acres of beans last year- not fenced. (Surrounded by farmers). Mine lasted into January- but I also had the entire river bottom here

I have had mixed results over the years with corn and bean plots with the most common issue being drought. But I cannot agree more with Skip above. If you have a very high coon population then you can do everything right, get sufficient moisture, spray at the right time, spend big $$'s on fertilizer, etc, etc, and STILL get stymied on getting a small ( 2 - 5 acre ) corn plot all the way to maturity.

It is quite time consuming and expensive to plant smaller corn and bean plots...but NOTHING will beat them in these conditions at this time of year if you can "thread the needle" and get a plot(s) to maturity. But, with the very high coon numbers most places these days, you will have to deal with them...OR else, no corn.

Jbohn you need to use that drill for some beans! I personally do bean plots because they are much less expensive than corn and in my experience can handle some browse better. I have never fenced mine but always have rowcrops nearby to help with pressure. I have thought (but not sure) that soybeans are preferred during cold late season.

Agree with above that beans are easier. Corn can take almost no browse. Especially the baby ears.
Beans are easier to get to maturity & cheaper.
The challenges with beans…. If they are in a secluded spot- for sure need fence. I’ve had a 8-10 acre field surrounded by timber ate to the dirt.
The next challenge with beans…. It takes pretty cold temps to make them a killer draw. I personally prefer corn but either way…. I’d for sure have parts of the same plot be: clovers & dbltree rotation. I’ll pull up the electric fence and drill in the rye mix. Always have a couple things planted - so when it’s “warmer” (say like TONIGHT!!) - the deer will still be there to hit the greens even if they don’t pound the beans.
Here’s example of a plot on my farm. This is far from ideal as it was only area not in CRP when bought farm (no plots in this CRP program) so had to make it work. This is “overboard” for what most folks want to do. But- it’s ideal IMO.
DE7B67FB-E83D-4826-9E76-1C4BB737438A.jpeg

Last edited:
How many acres of plot are we looking at here, Skip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grain is 3-4 acres.
Rye mix- 1 acres
Brassicas 1 acre.
Clover is maybe .25 to .5

I realize this is a lot. Absolutely can do this smaller scale…. If grains are fenced- could do 1/2 of all of this.

Where do you guys buy your corn and bean seed for your plots??
For plots - I get my corn left over from seed dealers. Some I’ve bought…. I’ve probably had the best yields from corn from Axis seed. For sure my top 3 corn brands & been really impressed.

Soybeans…. I just buy E3 beans that are treated & inoculated. I personally have never had any issues with deer eating any pioneer varieties. get em from a guy in sc iowa that really knows his stuff. Good prices. I do think I’ve found a variety that has low tannin content & high oil content. Like I said- zero issue with deer hammering it.

Anyone have experience with Enlist Corn? I have Enlist Beans but it would be nice to spray with one Herbicide than use RU and then a tank of Liberty.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Anyone have experience with Enlist Corn? I have Enlist Beans but it would be nice to spray with one Herbicide than use RU and then a tank of Liberty.

I’ve got corn that’s both liberty & RU tolerant. Enlist is a type of 2,4-d so it “most likely” be fine on any type of corn. Dunno if there’s actually an enlist corn or not?
But yes- liberty + ru tolerant corn is widely available. I’ve planted it. On flip side, I’ll make sure I don’t get the liberty tolerant if there’s any chance or need to spray for volunteer corn or if doing corn on corn especially since clethodim is off the table there.

I’ve got corn that’s both liberty & RU tolerant. Enlist is a type of 2,4-d so it “most likely” be fine on any type of corn. Dunno if there’s actually an enlist corn or not?
But yes- liberty + ru tolerant corn is widely available. I’ve planted it. On flip side, I’ll make sure I don’t get the liberty tolerant if there’s any chance or need to spray for volunteer corn or if doing corn on corn especially since clethodim is off the table there.
Didn't think of the volunteer corn. I guess regular round up corn is the way to go.

60 Degree soil temps to cool for beans , Really just a timing thing for me .. DO you guys try to plant several days before a rain if you have soil moisture ? Thanks

60 Degree soil temps to cool for beans , Really just a timing thing for me .. DO you guys try to plant several days before a rain if you have soil moisture ? Thanks
Not too cool. U got a lot of spring rains ahead. When able & as long as someone isn’t way up N …. Go if you would like. Next 30 days be ideal for anyone if possible.

Just as a reference, most(not all) will start putting corn and beans in the ground once the soil temps hit 48-50 degrees as long as the weather is trending upward. 60 is plenty warm enough for either seed to be planted.

Top Bottom