Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

My fenced beans look amazing inside fence close 3ft tall . Starting to make fence disappear .
76e9d1cdb531ad5f51f2a87e9bdacba7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone else notice your fence becoming less effective after a few years? I've got a 3 acre field on its 3rd year of being fenced. It was almost perfect the first year but I'm seeing more intrusion every year.
On the other hand, I fenced another 1 acre plot for the first time this year. That plot is on the same farm and has had zero intrusion.
I'm thinking I may have to come up with a more effective fence.

Does anyone else notice your fence becoming less effective after a few years? I've got a 3 acre field on its 3rd year of being fenced. It was almost perfect the first year but I'm seeing more intrusion every year.
On the other hand, I fenced another 1 acre plot for the first time this year. That plot is on the same farm and has had zero intrusion.
I'm thinking I may have to come up with a more effective fence.
Interesting!!!!!!!! Curious what others say!!!!
I haven’t noticed that. BUT- I did notice that when I accidentally left the switch off on one of my energizer/electrifier - they destroyed that plot!!!! ;)

I forgot to snap a pic but my Eagle Mid West blend is pushing over 4ft tall and loaded with pods, don't have a lot of experience to compare if it would be equal to ag bean production , but they look amazing . Ill take a pic in a few weeks when I get back . I will tell you that they engulfed my inside fence and are laying over it pushing it down which has allowed some deers to get in . Not sure much I can do at this point with that problem . Learning for next year .. I also have a few acres of unfenced which got browsed pretty hard say mid calf height I am going to drill Double tree Mix right into them in September and let her eat ... Love no tilling what a game changer .. Planted 4 acres big n beasty in record time started popping 4 days later.. ANy body want to buy a disk or tiller :)

Last edited:
If I wanted to put some corn in a new area that hasn't been planted in years ,CRP . Can I still no till it in or is it best work the ground up for corn . I like no till the best .

If I wanted to put some corn in a new area that hasn't been planted in years ,CRP . Can I still no till it in or is it best work the ground up for corn . I like no till the best .

I am not an expert, but where I have done just what you have mentioned above, (CRP to corn) I have had trouble with first year corn even when I worked the ground and incorporated fertilizer pre-planting. In the future...I will probably "bean it" year one and then rotate to corn. Again, not an expert, but I do have experience. :)

It seems guys that go corn first year after crp have to use a mold board plow and I hate having to use one. Makes everything so soft and prone to erosion. Much easier to do beans year one

I suspect it has something to do with the microbes needing a lot of N to metabolize all that carbon from the grasses.

If going corn, I bet you’d have to use more N due to feeding the microbes. Maybe even a split application. But I don’t have the experience to have tried, only a theory.. Perhaps why beans tend to do better year 1 :)

• Deleted by Jbohn
Show…
Just a few question for you corn guys ,

Going to Plant 2 acres of Non- GMO nutri crave , fenced .

I have a no-till this will be after beans this year , going treat urea (300 Lbs ) and broadcast at planting with P and K (100Lbs) . Any reason I should till the ground. Would rather not . ?

I'm going to try to plant on 15 inch rows at 26,000 seed to a acre .. Ill spray Gly and Pre Emerge herbicides at time of planting .

Any Advice ?

Just a few question for you corn guys ,

Going to Plant 2 acres of Non- GMO nutri crave , fenced .

I have a no-till this will be after beans this year , going treat urea (300 Lbs ) and broadcast at planting with P and K (100Lbs) . Any reason I should till the ground. Would rather not . ?

I'm going to try to plant on 15 inch rows at 26,000 seed to a acre .. Ill spray Gly and Pre Emerge herbicides at time of planting .

Any Advice ?
1) Do not work the ground.
2) sooner u can get p&k down the better. Just so it’s able to break down. Winter freeze/thaw helps there. If u have taken great care of soil in past- probably no big deal and do it at time of planting with urea.
3) get your pre-emergent herbicides really dialed in. Acuron for example. Have a post emergent cocktail ready for second pass (likely needed)…. 2,4-d, atrazine or simazine, metolachlor or acetolachlor & a few other options.

I need some help determining timing for my first attempt at corn this year. I had a soil test done and the P&K are at good levels. Obviously I need to put down a substantial amount of N at some point. Plot is currently in soybean stubble. I broadcast a variety of seed over it last fall, but due to the drought, only the cereal rye took. What is my best timing to terminate the rye and then put down urea prior to planting? I have a cone spreader for the urea. Should I plan on incorporating it at all? John Deere 7000 planter currently has no-till coulters on it. I am in the process of getting trash whippers installed. Thoughts?

I need some help determining timing for my first attempt at corn this year. I had a soil test done and the P&K are at good levels. Obviously I need to put down a substantial amount of N at some point. Plot is currently in soybean stubble. I broadcast a variety of seed over it last fall, but due to the drought, only the cereal rye took. What is my best timing to terminate the rye and then put down urea prior to planting? I have a cone spreader for the urea. Should I plan on incorporating it at all? John Deere 7000 planter currently has no-till coulters on it. I am in the process of getting trash whippers installed. Thoughts?
If you are not going to incorporate the N then I would recommend getting it treated. I put my fertilizer down a few days after it was planted this year and had amazing success. When you buy your seed I would say something to the dealer you are getting it from, there have been cases where corn going into rye can have some issues. But if it was me I would terminate immediately.

If not incorporating, granular AMS (21-0-0-24S) is your friend. Even treated Urea will have substantial losses.

AMS is super stable, the sulfur is a great bonus that corn needs as well. It's also a much slower release than Urea.

Good read on the topic:

Last edited:
If you are not going to incorporate the N then I would recommend getting it treated. I put my fertilizer down a few days after it was planted this year and had amazing success. When you buy your seed I would say something to the dealer you are getting it from, there have been cases where corn going into rye can have some issues. But if it was me I would terminate immediately.
Something I hadn't considered. I am reading up on it now and there is a good bit to learn here! Thanks!

Top Bottom