Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Well Deer are killing my acre and a half of forage beans I planted at 80lbs a acre . I added 200 lbs 19-19-19 this week end , used agotain because no rain and put up my first E fence .
fc3547b1e8b3e34bddf61a6cb41d88a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Deer are killing my acre and a half of forage beans I planted at 80lbs a acre . I added 200 lbs 19-19-19 this week end , used agotain because no rain and put up my first E fence .
fc3547b1e8b3e34bddf61a6cb41d88a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good move. Been there when my beans all got ate to dirt. Drier it is… harder plots - especially beans, are gonna get hit. Hopefully everyone gets a lot of rain this weekend. EVERYTHING needs it.

Cover crops will build OM. That in turn will hold more rain water & substantially help with drought!!! Infinite other benefits.
Short term…. My corn planted in rye is for sure drier this year. The rye does pull some moisture out. I snapped a quick pic to illustrate this. U can see no rye vs rye. I’ll continue to do different cover crops - including rye. It’s all about Long term results. Can see a difference while it’s dry for sure. So glad I did no till. This field has had very little rain. Got done after this picture taken so that’s good news!
DEF1093B-D38C-4A16-B46D-F1FF3269D7D7.jpeg

Cover crops will build OM. That in turn will hold more rain water & substantially help with drought!!! Infinite other benefits.
Short term…. My corn planted in rye is for sure drier this year. The rye does pull some moisture out. I snapped a quick pic to illustrate this. U can see no rye vs rye. I’ll continue to do different cover crops - including rye. It’s all about Long term results. Can see a difference while it’s dry for sure. So glad I did no till. This field has had very little rain. Got done after this picture taken so that’s good news! View attachment 125300
You think that's all moisture issue in rye part? Possible allelopathic issue?

Moisture. I’m 99% certain. Many years past- planting into rye- when plenty of rain - no problem. Rye does pull a lot of water out. Huge amount of biomass but most its weight is water.
Skip, you think there was any major difference in soil temp where the rye is, when you planted? Almost looks like it's just a handful of days or a week behind the no rye area. Was rye terminated when you planted or later?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Moisture. I’m 99% certain. Many years past- planting into rye- when plenty of rain - no problem. Rye does pull a lot of water out. Huge amount of biomass but most its weight is water.
Interesting. I have a patch of rye in a plot I missed with the sprayer. I have no corn growing in that spot.

Seems shading of cover crops hurts early (cold, wet soil), but helps later (drought).

Corn after rye is always tough, due to N being tied up. Rain helps the situation. Both as moisture and rainwater being 4% N...

A starter liquid N is helpful too.

Was opposite results last year. Last year rye did best. But we had a lot of rain. I’m still learning here so any thoughts - fire away. ….

BTW- last year was same field and the half with rye did better.
Interesting ….

This is interesting!! I dont do much corn but 15+ac of beans a year. Personally best beans are ALWAYS the ones no tilled into rye until this year for the first time ever. I noticed just the other day most in the thicker spots of burned down rye havent even germinated with the drought, others in bare dirt spots are 3-4in tall. Never rained on yet, just living off dew and deep soil moisture. Always seemed like the rye did the soil well, never thought of it having the opposite effect on drought years. I have only been doing the "farming" part for 5 years so learning lots still. What would you do different besides till it under first?

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
This is interesting!! I dont do much corn but 15+ac of beans a year. Personally best beans are ALWAYS the ones no tilled into rye until this year for the first time ever. I noticed just the other day most in the thicker spots of burned down rye havent even germinated with the drought, others in bare dirt spots are 3-4in tall. Never rained on yet, just living off dew and deep soil moisture. Always seemed like the rye did the soil well, never thought of it having the opposite effect on drought years. I have only been doing the "farming" part for 5 years so learning lots still. What would you do different besides till it under first?

Terminating the rye earlier is one option.

Thoughts from commercial side….Dry years show many problems that are typically covered up with rain. Residue has been a huge issue this year whether from cover crop or just last years crop residue. Carbon penalty is real with residue or rye. Nutrients being tied up is huge without rain as well specifically sulfur. I wouldn’t be surprised Skip if the corn in rye is closer in growth stage to the taller stuff and just stacked internodes. It is best to plant green whether corn or beans into cover crop. Shallow planting depth is showing up more and more each week with no rain. Planting early this year was huge because the crop had moisture …..just the way Mother Nature works sometimes. I planted my no till bean plot into rye April 12th and terminated May 16th. I have been fortunate to catch a few rains in the last 2 weeks also bear in mind. It is amazing what a difference an extra .5 will do.

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpeg
    IMG_3853.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3854.jpeg
    IMG_3854.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3855.jpeg
    IMG_3855.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 98
…And an insect of some sort eating your beans.
Walking electric fence the other day, a multiflora rose bush I trimmed back exploded with Japanese beetles. I ran out of spray/time earlier in the year killing brush in this fence line with herbicide...... Need to get back after it.

Seeing some hoppers in alfalfa and garden.

Trying to get caught up on this thread, so sorry if it's been answered:

For those who are doing no-till corn, when are are you applying your fertilizer? Is that usually done at planting?

Last edited:
Top Bottom