Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

special season passes

It may have already been said before (I just got lazy and didn't read all the posts yet), but I think they really need to consider allowing any unfilled tags to be used during the bonus late anterless season after Jan 11th. Antlerless tags still need filled by county and statewides anywhere, but everything shot during that time would be antlerless.

I think this would be a good way for the DNR to get their hunting license money earlier in the year as I'd be more likely to buy my 2008 hunting license in January, if I could still go out and shoot my unfilled bow tags with a shotgun during this season. Seems to me, they want deer shot not hunters sitting on unfilled tags. Makes sense to me and would be relatively easy to enforce.

This extra season would not be necessary if they took this approach, and people still bow hunting wouldn't have to worry about dodging slugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....In the instance that the politicians would "officially" begin deciding how many deer need killed what do you think the impact of hunters boycotting one deer season? </div></div>

if you would want deer seasons, limits, NR tag allotments set by the legislature and FB, then sure, sounds like a great idea. if you want to ruin iowa's future of hunting, go for it.

if you have gun tags left, go fill them...period

doubleA, for aswers to all your questions, call the number in that email i posted </div></div>

Teeroy,
I do see your point and realize what your are saying, but hunters have no leverage unless we utilize our money. Economics is the only tool that the average person has to vote for what really counts. Obviously my previous statement is way over the top. Frankly I would never give up a season of hunting in my life to give any group the satisfaction. Although I do think that if you look at it from the state's stand point for all the actions or items that I listed we as hunters deserve more credit. Believe it or not behind the camo, four wheel drives, and mud on our tires there are some very educated people who are disregarded. I knew that statement would start a fire of sorts but a little thought provoking post never hurt anyone when it comes to sorting out what may or maynot be important. Thanks for calling me on it. I try not to p.o. too many people with that kind of stuff but I just can't help it sometimes!

I think boycotting a short season [not the whole season] is what it would take for people to listen to hunters more. The problem is as americans everyone is so independant that no one would ever stick together long enough to open up some eyes. I do think the DNR does the best they can to please everyone. Kind of. Bottom Line is they have us by the balls.

Shotgun hunters might be more likely to get that last doe during this special season rather than a month later during the special late season. This should mean that less shed bucks will be shot. I personally am happy with the trade-off of getting an extra weekend for late-muzzloader. I would like it if they got rid of the late doe season all together.

It seems like the DNR may be sacrificing $$ here because this extended season may negativley impact the late-season tag sales. Just my thoughts...

I started deer hunting back in 1975. When people ask why I hunt, one of the reasons I give is population control. Deer hunting has really changed (FOR THE BETTER) since '75 and the Iowa DNR is to thank for that. I'll put my trust in the DNR once again and I will be out there for this special season, hoping to tag a doe. When it comes to managing wildlife resources, somehow I trust the DNR more than the politicians in the legislature.

I trust the DNR but in the areas i hunt I don't want to shoot any more does. There really isn't that many deer and the buck to doe ratio in my area i would roughly say is 1-1 or 2 doe-1 buck.

I was just talking to an old timer here the other day and he thinks the deer numbers are back to where they were 20 years ago. I would have to agree because people like myself and others really put it to the doe population in that area in years past. Now the numbers are where I want them and I have 2 doe tags left that I don't want filled over there.

There numbers may not be where they want them but how many deer are dead that haven't been called in? I'll shed hunt and find dead deer after dead deer. I'm assuming they were winged in shotgun season and died or the hunter didn't really do a just track job.

Maybe I'll try to find an area over in my county that has higher deer numbers but right now I like where mine are at.

I think Leopold was in the paper stating that the areas that needed more does taken were southern and eastern Iowa, where I happen to hunt. He hopes that hunters in those areas step up. Access might be an issue in some areas, though.

I think by just calling in unused tags to inflate the harvest will only due more harm in the future.If they see that X number of deer were killed in a area and next year we have more deer in that same area them in past it will show that we are not killing enough deer. I would rather due my part as a resident now then to have them think they need to up the NR tags because us residents are not doing the job.At least once a week somebody has written into th DM Register about the deer problem and how many people have to die in deer, auto accidents before something is done.I know accidents happen and with more people driving farther to work and more on the roads at dawn and dusk these things will happen.Most need to just take off there blinders when driving.I have yet to see a terrorist buck hiding in a ditch waiting to give his life to be with 72 virgin doe's.

If I remember right the DNR admitted that the harvest reporting system was down during the parts fo the weekend of 1st shotgun. I am sure that many people that do not care didnt bother calling back a second time to report their deer. It is not are fault that shotgun hunters are lazy and careless when it comes to reporting their deer. It will only make it worse in the future with people not reporting it, so they get this extra session.
What an incentive program they have started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So now its passed, I want to find out what some of the regulations are going to be! Has anyone found anything that states the rules of this season? How do they plan to inform people of the regulations? I asked a hypathetical question before and am now going to ask it again!
</div></div>
Given the situation, I wonder how strict the enforcement of the regs will be?

Here is about the only info I can find on it!!

Bought the only thing I really notice as about if you threw away a tag you can get a new one via the internet??????? Wonder how they are going to do that? Just a print out?

here is the link

Special season

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So now its passed, I want to find out what some of the regulations are going to be! Has anyone found anything that states the rules of this season? How do they plan to inform people of the regulations? I asked a hypathetical question before and am now going to ask it again!
</div></div>
Given the situation, I wonder how strict the enforcement of the regs will be? </div></div>

Why would they be any different than any other season Greg? Are you planning some ninja like sneak attack to fill your 3 doe tags?

Just look at the changes that have been made in the last 3-4 years. Weren't we told that the Nov. season wasn't permanant? I strongly believe that a large percentage of the gun kills do not get called in. Not saying that everyone doesn't, but those large groups that do drives and knock down 25-100 deer in a few days are probably not sitting down and writing out that many 9 digit #'s on the other half of the tag. I hate to say, but the good ole days might be gone.

Also, I guess if you used a tag in the gun season and didn't call it in, you can go online or to Wal-Mart and just get another one?

One thing that I wonder if the DNR considered was not only did the weather stop the hunters from going afield, think about the hard crust of snow on the ground and how that is going to effect the herd. We may lose 34K due to starvation.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing that I wonder if the DNR considered was not only did the weather stop the hunters from going afield, think about the hard crust of snow on the ground and how that is going to effect the herd. We may lose 34K due to starvation.

The 'Bonker</div></div>

I agree, if this weather keeps up this will be the toughest year on the deer in along time. Around me coyote #'s are very high. They should get fed good this year.

Good point Bonk,

The turkeys are already taking a beating and have found one dead by the road. I am sure the deer will be following suit. It is only Dec. with Jan. and February coming.
Could be a long winter.

Talked to a guy at work who party hunts. Last year his group of 21 took 27 deer, this year 20 guys took a total of 4 deer. He says some restored prairies they drive are all layed over and frozen so bad a guy can't even walk them. It'll be interesting, how all this plays out.

Bugs

People keep questioning the validity of the reporting system, but it's simply one of many tools the DNR uses to help manage the herd. While it will never be 100% accurate, it still gives them a much better picture of the harvest than previous guesstimates. Like JNRbronc said earlier:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deer hunting has really changed (FOR THE BETTER) since '75 and the Iowa DNR is to thank for that. I'll put my trust in the DNR once again and I will be out there for this special season, hoping to tag a doe. When it comes to managing wildlife resources, somehow I trust the DNR more than the politicians in the legislature. </div></div>

I think the emergency rule is probably the best option the DNR had and we should all be glad they're being proactive because the insurance lobby is looking for any opportunity to have deer management legislated.

I came to the conclusion quite some time ago that the insurance companies and FB just won't be happy until all the deer in this state are dead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg? Are you planning some ninja like sneak attack to fill your 3 doe tags? </div></div>

I will use my shotgun for this hunt, I will leave my numchucks and staff at home /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I will be out there waiting for the sun to come up thats for sure.

Has anyone else lost sleep over this, cause I haven't slept the last 2 nights. I'm too excited to go hunting again /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Christmas came twice this year..

Top Bottom