Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

3rd year Shawnee Switchgrass.

It is about ready to jump. No need to mow this year.
96729182369f392d87c7306f2819aef9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Great timing.. I’ll throw out another experiment.

Disced clean, seeded and packed June 24th. 5# RWW Switch + 1# mix of Big Blue, Indian and a forb mix. Approx 1.25 Ac.

Going to drop some trees along this (hard) edge in it next winter.

IMG_1588.jpeg

So, this is a stand that is going into its 3rd growing season. Last year, lots of foxtail. Sprayed quorilac (sp?). Looks sparse. And concerned about how much duff there is. Thinking a burn would help? What would you do?

TIA!

1fb3547041b0fe5cf34e1601b5b2abb1.jpg

ef0372f3467005db400e9efd54741a04.jpg

7485ff544f1cd32576e380a81369e2a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, 10 weeks latater, take a peak… I’m 6’4” I’m astounded at the difference. We ended up not even touching it after my last post.

6a25a06dff9ec84de1cc12b05981e122.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much growth will I get on my switchgrass after a mowing (today)?

By the end of September?

If we good some rain and I know the heat is coming !

I mowed a piece 3 weeks ago high, prior to some rains and it really helped it. I'd say 16 inches now but a slightly different time frame. After seeing the results I mowed the rest...2nd year stuff.

I mowed a piece 3 weeks ago high, prior to some rains and it really helped it. I'd say 16 inches now but a slightly different time frame. After seeing the results I mowed the rest...2nd year stuff.
Thanks
I think it will be waist high type .. which is fine.

We have 4 switchgrass field that are 10 to 15 years old and getting a bit weedy. I'd like to get rid of the weeds using oust, a.k.a. SFM 75. Am I correct that if I spray oust in November that the weeds will not grow the following spring/summer but the switchgrass will not be harmed by the oust? Or would an early spring application of oust be better, and would the switchgrass still not be affected and grow just as good with applying oust in early spring? thanks!

We have 4 switchgrass field that are 10 to 15 years old and getting a bit weedy. I'd like to get rid of the weeds using oust, a.k.a. SFM 75. Am I correct that if I spray oust in November that the weeds will not grow the following spring/summer but the switchgrass will not be harmed by the oust? Or would an early spring application of oust be better, and would the switchgrass still not be affected and grow just as good with applying oust in early spring? thanks!

I always spray end of March , clean as whistle .
I normally burn then I spray because of timing . Has worked well for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom