Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I always spray end of March , clean as whistle .
I normally burn then I spray because of timing . Has worked well for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing! And do you use like 2 ounces of oust (a.k.a. SFM 75) per acre? And no other herbicides besides that, correct?

I've always wanted to play around with fertilization of some of those older switch or big 3 fields that seem to be struggling a bit. I'm sure it's been done. So many plantings used to get 7 feet tall and super thick now max at 5 feet and are getting weedy.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

I've always wanted to play around with fertilization of some of those older switch or big 3 fields that seem to be struggling a bit. I'm sure it's been done. So many plantings used to get 7 feet tall and super thick now max at 5 feet and are getting weedy.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Do you burn your switchgrass every other year? Burning seems to really help release the switchgrass and allow it to reach its full potential. Ours still gets plenty tall, as tall as it ever has since we planted it probably 15 years ago. It's just getting a bit weedy. I would burn late May to control weeds and give the switchgrass a better chance at overtaking the weeds, but since we have lots of turkeys nesting in the switchgrass, we need to burn by mid April. The first few years we burned our switchgrass late May which was great for the switchgrass, but we ended up destroying a lot of turkey nests. Since then, we started burning it no later than mid April and we never destroy turkey nests any more, but now the weeds get better established because those field are barren for at least 4 to 6 weeks until the Switchgrass starts to grow in late May, and that gives the weeds a good 4 to 6 weeks to grow and get established. After 10 or more years of that, there's getting to be more weeds than I care to see. It actually creates decent habitat with the mix of weeds and switchgrass, but I don't want to let it get much weedier or I am concerned the switchgrass might just keep fading away and get over taken by the weeds. Thus, my plan to clean it up using oust late fall or early spring.

Last edited:
What do Switchgrass Seedlings look like?

Good reference:

Switchgrass-seedling.jpg

In the field, a few good indicators:

1690921435646.png

Attachments

• 1690921069723.png
    1690921069723.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
  • 1690921088643.png
    1690921088643.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I have 2 fields I'm going to try planting switchgrass into this next year. The first field is 3 acres and I planted beans this year. The beans will not be harvested. and the second field is just yard at this time. Since people are now planting in the spring I was wondering if I could till fields, broadcast the seed, and then cultipack or does it need to be drilled into the ground? Don't have access to a drill is why I am wondering if broadcasting after tilling would work.

If the above will work, can you spray after you cultipack? If so, what would you use for spray?

Thanks

wondering if I could till fields, broadcast the seed, and then cultipack or does it need to be drilled into the ground?

This is exactly what I did, see post #2144 on previous page. Best approach for this route (in order) is til, pack, seed, pack because of the small seed size.

You can still spray a pre-emerg when you plant going this route (or post selective). I just let mine go because I was looking for more diversity, will be an interesting experiment.

Drilling works well if you have previous dead growth - IE don't have a prepared seed bed. @IowaBowHunter1983 is the man to ask going that route.

This is exactly what I did, see post #2144 on previous page. Best approach for this route (in order) is til, pack, seed, pack because of the small seed size.

You can still spray a pre-emerg when you plant going this route (or post selective). I just let mine go because I was looking for more diversity, will be an interesting experiment.

Drilling works well if you have previous dead growth - IE don't have a prepared seed bed. @IowaBowHunter1983 is the man to ask going that route.
Glad to hear that. How is you field doing? Do you think this way is better than frost seeding?

Glad to hear that. How is you field doing? Do you think this way is better than frost seeding?

Seedling pics above in post #2166. Will have to get back out there soon to get some overall photos. Plan to mow around May 1 next year to restart on an equal playing field with the weeds for the second growing season.

I've frost seeded as well. Works ok. Get much better germination either drilling or til/pack method IMO.

Seedling pics above in post #2166. Will have to get back out there soon to get some overall photos. Plan to mow around May 1 next year to restart on an equal playing field with the weeds for the second growing season.

I've frost seeded as well. Works ok. Get much better germination either drilling or til/pack method IMO.
Thanks. Look forward to see how it did this year.

How did your switchgrass end up for it's first year? Any pics?

How did your switchgrass end up for it's first year? Any pics?

Looks good in some areas, others have a pretty full amount of foxtail. As late as foxtail comes on every year, I bet the switch will come through next year just fine.

No pics yet, been too busy lately trying to catch up on everything else. Will try and get some this weekend..

Sept 9th, 2023

Been an interesting experiment.. I can't tell where the seedlings went now that the foxtail and a few other grasses have come in. Some giant ragweed in the seedbank as well as some milkweed here and there. And yes, some stray Japanese millet as well apparently :rolleyes:

Should have mowed earlier but had hydraulic & PTO issues on the tractor. Long story short had to leave for the season. Will mow May 1 next year and see what emerges!

Switch.jpg

Intersects with about an acre of not the best looking milo. ...And a rather bare looking brassica plot that I rescued today with some Triticale. Been an interesting year to say the least..

R Edge.jpg

Yeah it has been an interesting year. My beans did great but the foxtail came in late. I planted rye and clover in a couple of plots on thursday hoping the forecasters were correct on the rain. They actually came through and got about 3/4" rain on them last night.

I think I'm going to try the switchgrass project in the spring. What would you have done different, anything?

I think I'm going to try the switchgrass project in the spring. What would you have done different, anything?

You can spray with a pre-emergent like simazine if you want more of a monoculture, but that wasn't my intent.

Too early to tell. Based on the good stand of seedlings I had, I bet quite a bit of it comes through next year.

Just checked the RC we planted in early July. Up to my chest. Couldn’t believe it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: HWC
Top Bottom