Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I remember stressing pretty bad last year about this time over the same thing…couldn’t positively identify much switch then, bam! Fingers crossed.

Question, if there was a decent population of young switch in there and it was 8-12” tall, now it’s mowed down to 5”, does that kill it?

I remember stressing pretty bad last year about this time over the same thing…couldn’t positively identify much switch then, bam! Fingers crossed.

Question, if there was a decent population of young switch in there and it was 8-12” tall, now it’s mowed down to 5”, does that kill it?
Absolutely not unless you smother with with duff from mowing. I've seen patches of switch mowed like a lawn year 1 repeatedly and turn out great.

Thanks for the replies Rob. My plan is to spray 2,4-D & Quinclorac in a couple weeks. Concern there is what about the areas where nothing had emerged…what if those seedlings are just popping…I might smoke them.

I didn’t stress this much when either of my sons were born, lol!

Thanks for the replies Rob. My plan is to spray 2,4-D & Quinclorac in a couple weeks. Concern there is what about the areas where nothing had emerged…what if those seedlings are just popping…I might smoke them.

I would avoid 24d on early switchgrass.

I like duracor better anyway for broadleafs.

I will take a photo next time I am at the farm but I have a area that I planted switch into last year. I let it go all year with little switch being present and massive amounts of Foxtail. I burned it this spring and this year it looks wonderful. Why us deer hunters worry more about switch than any other thing that we plant is beyond me but we surely do!

I will take a photo next time I am at the farm but I have a area that I planted switch into last year. I let it go all year with little switch being present and massive amounts of Foxtail. I burned it this spring and this year it looks wonderful. Why us deer hunters worry more about switch than any other thing that we plant is beyond me but we surely do!

I remember Dbltree mentioning years ago that switch engulfed in foxtail will still pull through fine long term..

Top Bottom