Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

June 13th, 2011

Typically we have some 100 degree days here in SE Iowa, hot humid days and nights when you can almost hear the corn grow but I can't remember the last time it was that warm? Four years in a row of abnormally wet cool spring and summer weather, the kind of weather that cool season grasses love but warm season grasses do not.

That being said, NWSG seedling emergence and subsequent growth is painfully slow during cool years and especially so on clay soils that stay cooler then normal due to non-stop rainfall. Even in a good year native grass grows down and not up at first and depending on weed control little or no growth may be obvious the first season. This always leads us to presume the worst and fools us into believing the seeding failed.

The second year usually surprises many with flush of new growth and such is the case with a small stand frost seeded in late winter 2010...by late summer there seemed hardly a switch plant to be found. This year it's popping up everywhere....

IMG_5096.jpg

Lot's of forbs mixed in but the original fall treatment with Oust and gly has pretty well nuked any CSG

IMG_5097.jpg

Growth is still slower then normal and plants vary drastically in height

IMG_5099.jpg

Big Bluestem

IMG_5100.jpg

Switchgrass plant in front, Big Blue in back

IMG_5098.jpg

Those with light loamy/sandy soils will find that it warms quicker and quickly leachs water allowing it to stay warm and will most likely see a marked difference in NWSG emergence and growth.... ;)

For some reason i think i may experience my first frost seeded loss for a switchgrass stand. I prepped and used chemicals at the right time, shoot i even used more seed then i needed to. The ground is still pretty darn clean with small crabgrass patches here and there. I thought last year i noticed more seedlings popping compared to this year. Just in doubt right now for the most part and am thinking of buying more seed and drilling it in.

Is this the first year for the seeding? We've got some fields we seeded March 4th this year and we're seeing the same thing. We aren't sure what is there is switch or not, but rest assured... it will come. We had a field that we seeded last year April 4th. We thought it was a waste of time as foxtail and weeds completely covered the plot last year... no switch at all. This year we've got a decent stand of switch showing up out of nowhere! Patience my friend, it will come

Is this the first year for the seeding? We've got some fields we seeded March 4th this year and we're seeing the same thing. We aren't sure what is there is switch or not, but rest assured... it will come. We had a field that we seeded last year April 4th. We thought it was a waste of time as foxtail and weeds completely covered the plot last year... no switch at all. This year we've got a decent stand of switch showing up out of nowhere! Patience my friend, it will come

I agree. Heck, it could even be next year and all of the sudden you'll see lots of switch or further along this year. Sure, there's always a chance it didn't make it BUT I would hold tight. Did you get monstrous rains, super wet OR times when it could have been washed away??? When did you seed this???

This is what our first year seeded switch grass looked like last year around June/July 2010... pretty ugly and no switch grass seen... just foxtail and weeds
101_3772.jpg

101_3783.jpg

This is what it looked like this March/April 2011... we had to get rid of the mess of foxtail/weeds from the previous year so we burned it...
100_0900.jpg

100_0909.jpg

and now June 2011... switch mysteriously appeared!
104_1830.jpg

104_1827.jpg

104_1795.jpg

Great pictures Jordan! Thanks for posting because it reassures those who are certain of failure early on...:way:

Seeded : March 4th, 2011
Sprayed : April 23rd, 2011 with round-up / atrazine combo (field was mostly cool season grasses and we got about a 90% kill... not ideal but it has worked out ok so far)
Update as of June 26th, 2011. No sign of switch. It very well could be growing but we can't identify it... weed control is ok still and very little brome is coming back
104_1989.jpg

Here is a comparison of what the area looked like in the years past... treated/seeded on the right and not treated on the left
104_1988.jpg

Here is another area of switchgrass we've got growing..
*Seeded: April 4th, 2010
*no herbicide in 2010, foxtail and weeds were as thick as possible and there was zero sign of switch grass, we were positive it was a failure
*Burned with fire March 4th, 2011
*Over seeded with more switch March 4th, 2011
*due to sprayer troubles, minimal herbicide application in 2011
...but...
.......it is now apparent that the switch grass seeded 4-4-10 did indeed sprout amongest all the weeds/foxtail that first year... and this is what it now looks like in its second year of growth as of 6-26-2011
104_1957.jpg

Some spots are thicker than others, and some plants much bigger than others but this is again with little herbicide application. We did just apply Quinstar to kill the foxtail on 6-26-2011.
104_1961.jpg

104_1958.jpg

104_1952.jpg

104_1945.jpg

The switch you frost seeded this year looks just like mine. I seeded and sprayed right about the same time as you and still have only positively identified a few shoots of switch. Pretty much the only thing growing is poison ivy and virginia creeper. I know hope isn't lost yet but I was planning on seeing a little more by now

The switch you frost seeded this year looks just like mine. I seeded and sprayed right about the same time as you and still have only positively identified a few shoots of switch. Pretty much the only thing growing is poison ivy and virginia creeper. I know hope isn't lost yet but I was planning on seeing a little more by now

Same here, we really thought we'd see a nice field with lots of green... but this spring has been wet (obviously) and cool and not ideal for newly seeded switch from what I've been told. Glad to hear someone else is seeing the same thing... wait until next year and I bet we report back with switch growing everywhere!

Keep us posted on how the Paramount works for you Jordan?

Here is an update on using Panoramic/Plateau to release established switchgrass, clean up a newly established stand and on new mixed NWSG stands. These were all sprayed at 4-6 ounces per acre along with 1 quart of glyphosate in early April before NWSG had emerged.

On the left is an older stand of switchgrass in a riparian buffer, the center a brand new seeding, the left a second year stand of mixed NWSG.

CIMG3080.jpg

The second year stand is clean and all of the three tall grasses are doing well considering the abnormally cool wet weather we have had here in SE Iowa.

CIMG3081.jpg

CIMG3079.jpg

CIMG3078.jpg

The older stand of pure switchgrass is also clean

CIMG3077.jpg

CIMG3076.jpg

Releasing and older stand helps rejuvenate it allow it to thicken up after which burning will usually do the trick

CIMG3075.jpg

CIMG3082.jpg

The stands are not cleaner then when using Oust XP but Oust cannot be used on seedling NWSG. Panoramic should not be used at over 2-4 ounces per acre when establishing a NWSG mix with switchgrass seed in it but it can be an effective non RUP herbicide to get NWSG established or released.... :way:

Switch

I got a pretty good amount coming up. Not the best picture but this is one of the nicer spots. This was seeded back in February.

2011-06-25_14-02-09_914.jpg

Yeah I did, but its losing its effect in much of field. I got weeds coming in everywhere now. Heavy rains has really got them going now.

Last edited:
last year my frost seeded switch was 10" tall by the 10th of june, this year still no sign of it. Took a gamble and waited to spray till may 12th was thinking that i may have killed it but now im thinking it may still come. it was.

This is the same field I posted pics of in post #668 of this thread. We sprayed it with Quinstar which is a generic form of Paramount or Drive 75. We sprayed at 8oz per acre with 1 qt of crop oil per acre. One week later the foxtail is showing signs of being killed and we've seen our first switch grass seed heads on July 3rd!
104_2180.jpg

Some spots the switch plants are only 1-2ft tall and very thin
104_2174.jpg

while other spots on the same plot are over 4ft tall and the plants themselves are much thickers. Growth seems to vary amongst the plot but there is switch growing throughout the whole area.
104_2177.jpg

Top Bottom