Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I planted 6 acres and same thing. Looks like it is coming up in spots but not nearly as good as I hoped. I'm thinking the cold spring may have set it back a little. Hoping more starts to germinate

I would like to throw in my 2 cents worth here. I live in SW Kansas. Broadcast 9 acres of SG in February. We are in a horrible drought situation here. No moisture of any signficant amount for months. Not one bit of that grass has sprouted and if it did sprout I am sure it would die. Maybe it will come up next year. Even the weeds are dying here.

I planted 6 acres and same thing. Looks like it is coming up in spots but not nearly as good as I hoped. I'm thinking the cold spring may have set it back a little. Hoping more starts to germinate

If you check the NWSG thread you'll see that NWSG seed is very slow to germinate this spring due to cold wet weather. You may not see much until late June or even early July unless we get some hot weather with warm humid nights.

We are in a horrible drought situation here.

Wish we could share some rain but keep us posted on what happens with yours under such terrible dry situations?

First year i have frostseeded into heavy brushhogged cornstalk trash and as of yesterday i have switch seedlings popping up. I dug a small seedling up and attached was a small shiny switch seed. Applied simazine and 1qt roundup. Was very concerned but last year i had a great first year stand of switch from frostseeding. Switch seed only needs a little crack to get to the soil.:way:

I am hopeing that my switch is being slow to germinate in the 10 acre field i am trying to revitallize. I have spots that are comeing up but not near what i would like to see. The ground is still very dead due to the early application of gly and then burned a few weeks later and then applied oustxp (2 oz per acr). Still keeping my fingers crossed or i geuss i will end up frost seeding next year.:(

When did you spread the seed and when did you spray the oust? I think Paul says that oust will harm switch or keep it from sprouting if it is applied later than the fall before seeding the switchgrass. For example, if you frost seeded switch this past winter, you should have sprayed oust no later than the fall of 2010. If you sprayed oust this spring on a field that was just seeded this past winter/spring, it might not sprout, we will have to wait and see what Paul says about that.

Here are some pics of our CIR SG 10 days after we burned it. It put on 6 to 10 inches of growth in 10 days. I like how it killed off any cool season grasses and weeds and gives the switchgrass the ability to dominate even more.

P1000650.jpg

P1000648.jpg

P1000649.jpg

When did you spread the seed and when did you spray the oust? I think Paul says that oust will harm switch or keep it from sprouting if it is applied later than the fall before seeding the switchgrass. For example, if you frost seeded switch this past winter, you should have sprayed oust no later than the fall of 2010. If you sprayed oust this spring on a field that was just seeded this past winter/spring, it might not sprout, we will have to wait and see what Paul says about that.

I did not recently seed the field. It is an older established field that was let go by the previous owner. So i am just trying to bring it back to life.

Anyone think this is switchgrass? I frost seeded this winter but have yet to really see anything I am sure is switch.

Without any history of the field preparation and weed control, etc. it's hard to say 100% sure, but my guess is that is switchgrass. Do you have any more or better pics?

Here's a couple pics of our 1st year stand from a couple years ago that I know is cave in rock switchgrass for sure. In the first pic, notice there's also a tiny switch seedling just coming up behind the larger one in the center of the pic. We had excellent weed control with almost 0 weeds in this 1st year stand.

2.jpg

Here's some a little farther along in growth, again, 1st year growth and from the same plot as above 2 years ago.

DSCF7587.jpg

Here are some pictures of different grasses I took pics of. Not sure about any of them. If it is switch its not coming up with any consistency. The field was mowed last August than spray with gly and then again with gly and atrazine this spring. Broadcasted ten pounds per acre in February. Weeds are for the most part under control, got some milkweed coming up and few other mystery weeds.

2011-06-03_10-48-30_472.jpg
2011-06-03_10-48-23_174.jpg
2011-05-23_14-24-26_434.jpg
2011-05-23_14-24-36_358.jpg
2011-04-02_10-34-45_858.jpg

The bigger grass/weed is in the first pic in post #652 above is not switchgrass, but the smaller seedlings look like switchgrass. The seedlings in your picture in post #648 sure looks like switchgrass. Looks like you have great weed control, just give it another month or so and it will be much easier to judge how well your switch is coming up. It is very slow and uneven to germinate. For example, you will have some coming up every day over a 3 or 4 week period is what I've experienced. It doesn't all come up at once like we are used to seeing in food plots.

Last edited:
The taller stuff with the light green leaves is sedge I think. Don't think gly gets it. It just sprouts from the roots.

Has anyone ever mixed switchgrass and Egyptian Wheat?????

I am planting a first year switchgrass plot and I have seen where guys have mixd it with corn and had great results, but I was wondering if EW would work the same since it is in the same family as corn????

If it EW does work good, what is the seeding rate when mixing with switch???? I have atrazine and will be spraying that when I plant. (Located in MI)

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

They can be sprayed with the same herbicides.... Putting the wood to Atrazine will work. My main concern would be the switchgrass being shaded out BUT at this time of year, my other concern is the switchgrass would just not germinate very well at all- sure takes a lot for seed stratification- freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw is great- why you plant in February/March & not now. I guess if it were ME, I'd wait & plant in Feb/March of next spring on a nuked seedbed. But, yes, your herbicides will work as both respond and weed control is similar.

I just purchased the seed a week ago. The guy I got it from had it stored in a shed for the past 2 years. He grows and harvests it himself so the price was 1/2 to 1/3 the price anywhere else. In Michigan most guys suggested not to plant it until early June. I figured this year if will establish a good root system so it can take off next year. I was going to mic some EW with it but have the seeding rate be very light. Instead of 10lbs an acre I was thinking about 2lbs/acre.

This hot snap finally got my switch to pop, its all over now. I dug some up and you could still see the seed attached so I am pretty confident its switch this time.

My Natives are starting to take off now too, I was gettiny a little worried. I drilled them in April and planned on getting them sprayed right away but the weather didn't allow it till may. By the time they were able to spray, the weeds were starting to come so I had them put some gly with the plateau hoping nothing had started. It was a good feeling seeing the grasses coming up in 150 acres of clean bean stubble.

Top Bottom