Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

What is a good post emergence spray if i am unable to get on my 2nd year stand of switch with gly and simizine? I was thinking drive75 and simizine? Any other ideas anyone? Thanks

What are you trying to kill? 2-4d is good for post emerge weed control. If you've got foxtail problems I had good luck with Quinstar (still have some if you're interested)

What is a good post emergence spray if i am unable to get on my 2nd year stand of switch with gly and simizine? I was thinking drive75 and simizine? Any other ideas anyone? Thanks

2nd year herbicide?... u really shouldn't need any. Did you get a good start on your 1st year seeding last year?
Get atrazine if possible to anyone spraying a pre-emergent. my 2 cents, not critical but a lot better

Remember 2nd year switchgrass can be sprayed with Oust/Spyder (PRE-Emergence)to clean up problem grasses but as Jordan mentions, 2-4D is all that is needed for broadleaves once switch has 3-4 leaves.

I realize that every soil demands a different fertilizer but is there a general number you guys have found that really helps a first year stand take off? I'm contemplating if it is worth the extra money to give my switchgrass a good boost this first year.

LoessHillsArcher said:
What are you trying to kill? 2-4d is good for post emerge weed control. If you've got foxtail problems I had good luck with Quinstar (still have some if you're interested)

Drive 75 and Quinstar are the exact same chemical. I work for the company that manufactures it same thing different packaging.

Drive 75 and Quinstar are the exact same chemical. I work for the company that manufactures it same thing different packaging.

Thanks Pete...it's also sold as Paramount but it's not sold in smaller qualities like Drive is.

Switchgrass will certainly respond to fertilizers so add P&K the seeding year can be helpful, with out a soil test I can only guess but it's not uncommon to need a 100#'s each of P&K on most soils.

Do not add nitrogen until the second year but being a grass, switchgrass will respond to nitrogen so you can add N by broadcasting urea just before a minimum 1/2 of rain in late May or early June.

I can't remember who sprayed atrazine mixed with crop oil on switch that was already emerged and said it killed other weeds but didnt harm the switch.

dbltree said:
Thanks Pete...it's also sold as Paramount but it's not sold in smaller qualities like Drive is.

Switchgrass will certainly respond to fertilizers so add P&K the seeding year can be helpful, with out a soil test I can only guess but it's not uncommon to need a 100#'s each of P&K on most soils.

Do not add nitrogen until the second year but being a grass, switchgrass will respond to nitrogen so you can add N by broadcasting urea just before a minimum 1/2 of rain in late May or early June.

Also called Accord, Facet, and Quinclorac 75. Yep mostly in 7.5lb jugs except Drive 1lb.

March 25th, 2012

Abnormally warm temps this March have me mowing the lawn already....unheard of in my lifetime! Obviously the cool seasons are growing but what about the warm season grasses? Is it to late to spray 2nd year switchgrass with gly and Oust/Spyder??

I checked on established switchgrass here and nothing is emerging yet

IMG_7557.jpg

Look closely around the base of the established plants...emerging switchgrass will come up right thru the clump and in this case...none yet exist

IMG_7558.jpg

IMG_7559.jpg

This is Indiangrass

IMG_7560.jpg

and no sign of life yet here either.

IMG_7561.jpg

Soil temps have actually dropped a bit and in my area remain well below 60

4 Inch Soil Temperature Maps

New switch seedings will germinate well behind established switchgrass and will require at least 5 days of 65 degree soil temps. If the cool seasons are up and growing in your area and the established switch has not you can spray glyphosate and Oust in this window of time to clean up cool seasons and allow the switchgrass to dominate.

If you have a new seeding you have a little more time yet to spray gly and a residual like atrazine or simazine but be aware that the time to germination date may be moved up by 2-4 weeks from the historical May 10th (in SE Iowa) ;)

I'm getting ready re plant an old switchgrass field about 6 acres. Last year I started out with gly and oust then sprayed gly again in late summer. Cool season grass is starting to pop up in 50% of the field. My plan is to spray with gly this weekend and then disc and plant the fallowing weekend, then spray with atrazine. The reason I am going to disc and broadcast rather than drill is to clean up the dead grass/weeds from last year that way I get good soil contact with the atrazine. What I am thinking about planting is switch, big blue, and Indian grass.

Am I on the right track with my plan and type of grass? Any suggestions and direction will be helpful. Thanks

I have heard discing may 'wake up' some grasses and cause them to grow, and I think can use plateau on BB or Indian but not atrazine . And vice versa for switch.

Atrazine is safe on switch and BB but not Indiangrass....discing will cause a flush of annual weeds and grasses like foxtail so you will be opening up a Pandora's Box of problems there I am afraid....;)

I checked a couple switch grass plots we seeded last year and sure enough we've got some sprouting going on in western IA! I did notice a difference from field to field - the bottom, wet area field was sprouted more than the hillsides (north facing). But I went ahead and sprayed a mix of Oust XP and Gly now. Crazy stuff to see this sprouting already!?

The bottom field / creek buffer. This was the most sprouted area, about 1" of growth but I went ahead and sprayed anyway since it hadn't opened up.
IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

This was the growth we were seeing on the rest of the plants. Jusssssttt peaking out!
IMG_2992.jpg

Last edited:
So we can use Roundup even though they are coming up on a switch stand? Or is it relative to how much they are coming up etc?

So we can use Roundup even though they are coming up on a switch stand? Or is it relative to how much they are coming up etc?

I used round-up on the above switch stands - as long as the shoots aren't opened up you should be ok. I believe Paul would agree with me on that... I feel like he's told me that in the past. Hope so anyway! :D

OK, one final question. I had sprayed my frost seeded switch with a strong dose of atrizine and accuquest (ammonia sulfate). Should I go back here this next weekend and spray it with roundup powermax or do you think this will suffice? I noticed quite a bit of new clover growth on the exposed soil and some grass regeneration.

Sounds like safe insurance to me, you could even wait a bit longer if you wanted... just my $0.02! :D I see no problem in doing a dose of round-up.

Ordered seed from prairie seed farms today. There went $800. They recommended 8 lb cave in rock and 2 lb canlow per acre for deer bedding. Cave in rock for the height and can low for the shorter grass and to also help hold the cave in rock up during the winter. Hopefully I made a good choice with that mix. They did recommend me to disc it maybe 3 time and then hit it with 2 lb atrazine and 1.67 pints of dual II magnum per acre and then plant. (also make sure rain is in forecast to activate the atrazine before planting seed)

Still a little confused if I should disc or not. He said by discing multiple times on different days would help kill the new seed generated by discing. then hit with herbicides to keep weeds at bay. That process would give me the quickest results for growth. Also said get seed in ground by April 15th.

Top Bottom