Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Is it too late for gly on a newly frost seeded switch planting as well? Also dealing with breakdowns. Love my old Ford 860 but have to figure out how that carb works so i can rebuild it myself.

The way it's warming up, I wouldn't risk it, just clip weeds 8-12" high this summer ;)

I do see your reply above Paul about it being risky to apply glypho now but is there a soil temperature threshhold below which spraying may still be safe? Wisconsin has been very cold & wet this spring!

I do see your reply above Paul about it being risky to apply glypho now but is there a soil temperature threshhold below which spraying may still be safe? Wisconsin has been very cold & wet this spring!

Down here the switchgrass may be poking its head out so no Gly. Yours may be dormant yet.

Can I burn 3 year old switch now without killing it? It's green and about 4 to 6 inches tall. I'd like clean out some of the weeds, and I like to burn.

What should we see?

What should we expect to see from a frost seeded patch of switchgrass in SouthCentral Iowa at this point? The SG was frost seeded into a killed brome stubble. The cool seasons were sprayed again end of April. There is not a lot of weeds growing, but I don't see a lot of grass either. I guess I just need to be patient.

What should we expect to see from a frost seeded patch of switchgrass in SouthCentral Iowa at this point? The SG was frost seeded into a killed brome stubble. The cool seasons were sprayed again end of April. There is not a lot of weeds growing, but I don't see a lot of grass either. I guess I just need to be patient.

I am in about the same situation as you are, except I had 3 areas that were drilled and one that was frost seeded. My data is a week old now, but as of Memorial Day'ish, soil temps in S IA were in the 67 to 69 degree range. Switch doesn't really fly until about 70 degrees soil temp and mainly above that. As of last weekend, I could see any growth yet this year.

So, I think this late spring is still with us. I think things are running about 2-3 weeks behind schedule this year in terms of warm season grasses getting going. I suspect you are still in good shape and will see things growing finally in the next 10 days or so.

My frost seeded maybe has a tiny amount of seedlings quarter to half inch tall, but basically bare yet. It may be a different grass for all I know. I'm patiently waiting, too. We've definitely had a lot of 80's and even some 90's recently. I'm along I-80 in IL.

Unless you have outstanding weed control don't waste time looking until this fall, it won't really start growing until mid July and it grows down not up the first year.

Look back in this thread for pictures from last year where weed control was perfect ;)

Hey Paul,
I will have to go look at the stuff I frost seeded this year. It was beans last year and I had some thundermaster mixed in with the roundup I used last summer. Where I used that last year my fields are spotless now. Hopefully there isn't any residual affect on my switch. Course my corn looks good so I should be ok. Just thought about that after seeing this post.

Will have to go investigate this weekend.

Hey Paul,
I will have to go look at the stuff I frost seeded this year. It was beans last year and I had some thundermaster mixed in with the roundup I used last summer. Where I used that last year my fields are spotless now. Hopefully there isn't any residual affect on my switch. Course my corn looks good so I should be ok. Just thought about that after seeing this post.

Will have to go investigate this weekend.

ThunderMaster

Keep us posted Jason

Is it too early to spray 2-4D? Tractor was out of service earlier this spring so I was unable to spray any Atrizine & now have lots of weeds. There appears to be some switch seedlings with more than 4 leaves, but I don't want to kill any if they are just sprouting or emerging. Thanks

If you wanted to be careful you could clip the weeds with mower this go around, next go around as the switch is a little more established you could hit with 2,4-d. Likely that's what I would if it were mine. I'm nervous about 2,4-d on younger plants - it's a harsh herbicide. So, could be done now but if it were mine, I'd go conservative, mow and do it when switch is more established.

Top Bottom