Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Looks like mine is 8-10" tall. RC Big Rock

20240529_091643.jpg20240529_091721.jpg

a3fe591cc7a20f31a8b3a558d1f1b464.jpg

58d603d67cfd5d3bed8cc7a1c7c35e93.jpg

4cd16c67ad81d6c71c94fc933378d98c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I don't see any.

What do you have to work with? Small disc, roller, etc... Anything? Borrow/rent a drill?

I'd be replanting for sure. Timing is great now to plant. The RC BR variety is flying out of the ground for me.

Last edited:
RC big rock. About 2 weeks after planting - coming in VERY well due to all the recent rains.

Touches of ragweed here and there. Frequent mowing above the switchgrass seedlings will keep these at bay. Don't mind the diversity though once I get the switch established.

RC 2.jpg

RC.jpg

Wow. I don't see any.

What do you have to work with? Small disc, roller, etc... Anything? Borrow/rent a drill?

I'd be replanting for sure. Timing is great now to plant. The RC BR variety is flying out of the ground for me.

Yeah, I’m super disappointed. I called the local Soil Conservation District to rent their drill early this year. They didn’t have one but said the next county over did. I called them and they said even though I was in the next county o er, I was close enough to them (1/2 mile from the county line) that it would be fine and they put me on the list. Fast forward to me getting passed over twice and she said “it’s not gonna happen. You aren’t in our county.” I broadcast it that day. RC Big Rock. Less than ideal to say the least. I just can’t hardly see 0%. I am dumbfounded. There has to be one plant that made it, I just can’t find it. I will try again this fall or next spring. Suggestions? I have a disc, cultipacker, springtooth harrow, chain drag harrow. I can broadcast on top and cultipack, disc and then cultipack, work it, leave it… I should have a completely blank slate by then is the upside. Hate to have such bare soil for that long though…

Yeah, I’m super disappointed. I called the local Soil Conservation District to rent their drill early this year. They didn’t have one but said the next county over did. I called them and they said even though I was in the next county o er, I was close enough to them (1/2 mile from the county line) that it would be fine and they put me on the list. Fast forward to me getting passed over twice and she said “it’s not gonna happen. You aren’t in our county.” I broadcast it that day. RC Big Rock. Less than ideal to say the least. I just can’t hardly see 0%. I am dumbfounded. There has to be one plant that made it, I just can’t find it. I will try again this fall or next spring. Suggestions? I have a disc, cultipacker, springtooth harrow, chain drag harrow. I can broadcast on top and cultipack, disc and then cultipack, work it, leave it… I should have a completely blank slate by then is the upside. Hate to have such bare soil for that long though…

I'd redo it this year just before next rain. Scratch soil, broadcast, double or triple pack. More packing the better. No discing.

A chain harrow is perfect. You already have a lot of bare soil that will make planting easy.

Drag to disrupt the top later, seed and cultipack in that order.

I had very poor germination trying to frost seed RC big rock. IMO the seed is just too big compared to other varieties.

FWIW, I never really got a good stand frost seeding other switch varieties (Alamo, etc) either.

I treat it like clover seed for planting method. This has been a much better method for me personally.

RC big rock. About 2 weeks after planting - coming in VERY well due to all the recent rains.

Touches of ragweed here and there. Frequent mowing above the switchgrass seedlings will keep these at bay. Don't mind the diversity though once I get the switch established.

View attachment 127516

View attachment 127515
2 weeks? Looks like closer to 4-6 weeks of growth.

T_max, I broadcast RC Big Rock last March and cultipacked on moist soil and sprayed atrazine. Turned out great for a first year stand in most areas ~4' of growth. That's with a D4 drought in SW WI.

I overseeded some thin areas but switch really clumps up in year 2/3 and it's looking great this year.

20230925_132935.jpg

20230925_120228.jpg

Do you guys want your grass stands to be that clean so they stand tall for screening?

Around here in SE MN deer rarely utilize clean stands of switch for anything but security cover. Best to have some diversity if you want deer to spend time in there, IMO.

Do you guys want your grass stands to be that clean so they stand tall for screening?

Around here in SE MN deer rarely utilize clean stands of switch for anything but security cover. Best to have some diversity if you want deer to spend time in there, IMO.
I have diversity in areas where I want it. Clean for screaning.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Looking for general consensus with all the trials that have taken place with success.

I’ll be running a no till next week. Just to make sure, spray with simizine and gly together? What’s your best ratio for the two? Ground was sprayed 2.5 weeks ago with gly. Also for screening purposes how many pounds per acre for RC big rock?

Also ideal planting depth consensus.

Top Bottom